Class Restrictions

XsaraVTS

Fellow Frogger
can someone direct me to a site that details modification restrictions for the different classes. Not that i am interested in racing (against others) for quite some time i'd like to know what not to bother spending money on if it simply has to be reversed at a later date.

i've overheard conversations regarding bog-standard intake plumbing and differential alterations - does this extend to lsd or just the ratio.

any help from the 'track boyz' would be appreciated.

-Q.

Thanks Peter. A question - is what you guys run in the actual NSW Supersprint Championship, or something else based on its rules and regs? I've been following your threads and am still not quite sure. I've put kart racing on the back shelf for a while and am looking to get the Clio involved in some track days. Looking at the rules briefly, a standard car with some sticky rubber (semislicks) and some decent pads would put me in class 1B. Is that a class that is run through the group that club lotus is involved with?

We're members of Club Lotus Australia and run in the Combined Sports Car Associtaion supersprint series. It's a more popular and better organised event than the NSW series. It uses the same basic rules, but doesn't have an NM1 class any more. So you'd have to run in NM2 (non-marque 2). The classes really aren't an issue, other than for working out Club point scores (although Parry and Voytek do take it seriously!). You go out in groups based on your ability/times. Come out to Eastern Creek on the 7 August and have a look.

NM1 and NM2 class Peter was relating to is based on CAMS class 1 and class 2.

We are not running any sub 1300 and sub 1600cc classes. its all under 2000cc. Hence I give away 700cc to Parry's and Peters car. ( croc tears guys ;) )

basically if you ran your standard Clio on DOT tyres (regardles how sticky) you woud be racing few regulars like Parry/Ashley combo sport team, myself, a stock standard MX5 and few less regular cars.

The classes are not grouped together, rather individual cars run in groups that do similar times on given track. This allows for less overtaking and overall faster times. Come to our next event at EC on the 7th. Check the CLA website under motorsport tab for calendar of events.

750cc...pftttttt how about I give away 200kg!!!!! We should be running Power to weight handicaps!!!!

Who ever said we are too serious Peter!!!!

parry said:
750cc...pftttttt how about I give away 200kg!!!!! We should be running Power to weight handicaps!!!!

Who ever said we are too serious Peter!!!!

Not too serious. Just serious about wanting to come first in the class. I have to live with coming 3rd, for the time being.

Did you get that bent car sorted out yet? Perhaps drill some new holes off centre?

I've got some nice new tyres on new rims ready for EC>

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'm caught up that w/e, but I'm keen to come and check it all out. When's the next event after EC? I'm also keen to get the car out on a track day before doing an official event - get to know the car and blow out the driving hard/fast/smooth cobwebs. Trying to source some spare rims, semi-slicks (any suggestions, what, where, price?), maybe some springs and pads at some stage too.
Cheers,

Next event after EC is Wakefield, 5 September. Not sure what you'd do about rims for reno. What PCD are they? Most popular tyre seems to be Yoko A032.

yokies from Gordon Leven tyres Emu Plains, 185/60x14 = $200 fitted
Toyo Proxes RA1 Blairs Tyres Narellan = 185/60x14 = $200+ (just a tad over 200)

leave the pads etc standard, you're only doing 3 hot laps anyhow. Standard gear should hold up really well.

Standard Clio on factory tyres is capable of 1:14's at wakefield as done by Bates at the BangForYourBucks testing sessions for Wheels 2003.

I tried my new Yokos out on the Xantia on the weekend. Sensational tyres but very, very noisey! I guess you don't here it with a helmet on and 7000rpm of engine noise.

1st time i tried them on the road, I thought I blew my diff. the wine was unbelivable. :)
Peter you should notice a marked improvement over the Dunlops.

Anyone know much about the Falken Azenis for this sort of application? They're pretty cheap for what you get, I hear.

its more of an endurance tyre.

When it comes to softness of the DOT approved R rated tyres (ie stickiness) here is a list in approximate best to worst

Avon: ACB-10
country mile
(next 3 in random order)
Toyo: Proxes RA1
Yokohama: A032R
Bridgestone: RE540, RE520, RE510, RE55S
Dunlop : D01J
2 country miles
Falken: RX04, RX05V3

Last edited:
I guess that apart from being stickier than the Azenis, the sidewall would be stiffer also. The Falken 185-60X14 is $140 at Tempe Tyres. My size 195-55X15 or 205-50X15 (I think these should fit OK onto 15X7's) is $170. I reckon that the alternative options that you've mentioned would be around the $250 mark. Worth the difference?

Anthony,

they make great road tyres. And at that price you will have lots of fun at Wakefield track and on the road. :) Falken Azenis is probably the best compromise tyre wear vs grip.

Never having driven on one its an educated guess. Chris16 used them on his S16 on track days and after few laps his grin was as wide as anyone else's.
They might be a tad hard for supersprints where you just dont get enough time to bring the tyre temp upto its optimal but still much better than the normal road tyres.

tekkie said:
Anthony,

they make great road tyres. And at that price you will have lots of fun at Wakefield track and on the road. :) Falken Azenis is probably the best compromise tyre wear vs grip.

Never having driven on one its an educated guess. Chris16 used them on his S16 on track days and after few laps his grin was as wide as anyone else's.
They might be a tad hard for supersprints where you just dont get enough time to bring the tyre temp upto its optimal but still much better than the normal road tyres.
.. That's about right, the Falken's offered the best of both worlds, but was a compremise on the track. Having said that I was happy with the consistant 1:17's at Wakefield, having said that, Wakefield is not a very good track to go by, its really a very poor track, about as challenging as a game of tic-tac-toe.

I actually don't mind Wakefield - especially right hander onto the main straight in an MX5. Give me some opposite lock baby! Lots of runoff also if you make a booboo. Even the facilities are quite good with the garages, etc. Thanks for the info on tyre choice. I have someone that may be able to source some dot rated rubber at v.low prices - so I'll see how I go.