Citrothello - DS 19 CABRIOLET 1964 AUSTRALIAN.

GreenBlood

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Australian DS19 cabriolet restoration in Switzeland :eek:
Link>: DS 19 CABRIOLET 1964 AUSTRALIENNE 01. | Citrothello

Google translation. . .
Othello said:
DS 19 CABRIOLET 1964 AUSTRALIAN 01.

In September 2016, John contacted me by mail since his country, Melbourne, Australia. He told me to have an authentic convertible DS 19 of 1964, being restored, but the mechanics changed. He asks me for advice, I informed him that he must put his cab in factory compliance. Currently he is in mechanical box and had to be fitted with new mechanics DS 21. Originally, it was a mechanical bearings 3 hydraulic box.

Quickly, John asks me if I do not want to start over the restoration of his car. I must have missed an episode .... but where is the DS in Europe ??? John not answer me, here in Australia. "I can send it to Switzerland with the parts without worries." I remain completely stunned by the proposal. After receiving a DS 23 Lebanon (which I finished restoring), here they send me a cabriolet Australia. If my site is not known worldwide .......

So two months later I receives his gig, Wednesday, November 30, 2016. The chassis has been redesigned and looks in great condition. As against the bodywork was literally slaughtered. Mechanically, this is not complicated lacks easily 30% of the parts, some are not good. Almost all fasteners and other small legs, parts are missing. And I have not finished to discover.

This will certainly my biggest challenge, but nothing scares me. The DS has been asked directly to my bodybuilder, as already dismantled. And lot of loose parts, completely decommissioned, thrown hastily under layers of dust in various cartons come home to start sorting. John himself had not seen his car for months. She was catering more than 1000 kilometers from home in Australia. Before the carnage began the work by the company that it had commissioned, he did research on the net. He fell on my site and was impressed by my work, and decided to entrust me with the restoration of his car.

Once the DS refurbishment, I re-send off to Australia. A beautiful adventure begins.

John thank you for the confidence, and I'll try not to disappoint him, but rather to restore its nearest DS possible to the factory.

Look forward to the progress updates on this one :approve: :headbang:

Cheers
Chris

Wow. At least if he ever sells it the repair bill will be covered! You would think. Awesome. A bit more study shows its a lefty. I wonder what colour it'll end up. Hoping they go for the original colour, regardless of what it was! I get it now it was a gris metallique quelque chose... first photos are obviously in days gone by. If anyone can cheer that mess up it sure would be Othello! The boot looks remarkably unaffected.

He's a busy beaver! -

http://www.citrothello.net/ds-19-cabriolet-1964-australienne-02/

wish there was a spares joint here like they have access to, wow again.

Last edited:
Colour should be SILVER like one in Brat Pitt / Jolie movie! He has got tonne of parts to complete many cars to come in the future!!!

sigh.....

fantastic

dont overlook scrolling thru the photos using the bottom of the screen and the sliding bar.... i missed it the first time.

Great work being done, the commentary regarding the butchery of the front doors and the 6 years of inactivity at the hands of Australian restorers is unfortunate. No doubt there are two sides to this backstory. We put high restoration costs down to expensive labour costs, but I'm confident the Swiss would have a similar pay scale to what we have here. So there is something else going on, perhaps it's passion and work ethic, I don't know. Citrothello seems to be getting through this project at about 5 times the pace you would expect here. I wonder if we are going to start to have to send cars abroad for restoration in future, kind of sad really. Outrageous that it could be faster and more economical than undertaking the restoration here, and with the addition of freight.

I needed some windows and doors fabricated in steel and glass recently, the quote to do it here was $30k and 16 weeks lead time. I had it done in Indonesia for less than $10k including freight, they arrived in 11 weeks and were a superior quality to what I would have had from the local supplier....... Australia.

Michael you set me up in a garage and I have a friend who is a demon on D's and there's your business plan! We've been daydreaming about doing it. Both young enough to tackle hard yakka, still. I'd love to play with a Fenwick testing bench. No really such a business could only function if you were doing the higher end stuff, the value to a customer would need to be highlighted, DS's as we know fetch much higher prices in Europe than here sadly and there isn't the interest to capture the market and distances/ volumes of cars also a factor. You'd need to cover Pugs and Renaults etc also. Jags? blugh! Hopefully prices will keep rising, like every other bloody thing. No not beer and cigarettes, no!!!

How good to see his workman ship and the time frame, even more enlightening. Glad he highlights the rake on the front screen, a detail many "replicas" fail to acknowledge. Best movie I have seen this year, can't believe this didn't get nominated at the award festival, maybe next year. :)

you just beat me to it Chris! I have been checking out the site for updates, great inspiration for fixing doors at the moment, going to tackle my bad one today, rear right. That cabriolet is going to be amazing!

Re update #6 - that is just amazing. I can't begin to imagine what I'd have to pay someone else to do this work in Switzerland! Thanks for the update.

is it a usine or Chapron? Not that it makes much difference! Ultimate Cit? Getting close!

again wow. One genuinely hopes the owner has a transporter as dedicated as the restorer. Interesting colour choice.
I'd be too scared to drive it in case some bozo hit it. And a lefty here? hmmm.

Comes complete with bottle of Coke in the passenger compartment!

Cheers, Ken