Citroen CX Steering Rack restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, if you set it at neutral/zero toe in, the effect is a too light and somewhat floary wandering feel whereas the slight toe in gives a more stable feeling & more feel through the steering as regards response.
I think the reason for this could quite possibly be that given the age, abuse and general wear of these cars by now there has to be some wear in the front end, ball joints, control arms and tie rods possibly to the extent to alter no toe in to slight toe out when the vehicle is in motion.
The toe in can make it feel an entirely different car to drive. Too much is soon detected due to "feathering" of the outer part of the tyre's tread and rectified before any damage is done.

Alan S

Alan S said:
For the record, if you set it at neutral/zero toe in, the effect is a too light and somewhat floary wandering feel whereas the slight toe in gives a more stable feeling & more feel through the steering as regards response.
I think the reason for this could quite possibly be that given the age, abuse and general wear of these cars by now there has to be some wear in the front end, ball joints, control arms and tie rods possibly to the extent to alter no toe in to slight toe out when the vehicle is in motion.
The toe in can make it feel an entirely different car to drive. Too much is soon detected due to "feathering" of the outer part of the tyre's tread and rectified before any damage is done.

Alan S
Thanks Alan, I will be going for a "wheels apparently dead ahead " setting with a 'toe in' of 4mm.
Cheers....George. :adrink: :citplak:

Status
Not open for further replies.