Citroen C5 X7 intermitant errors

Hi, I read this thread with great interest. I have a problem with my Citroen C5 (2007). About a year ago, I had an error message, Presence of water in diesel fuel filter, and I had the filter cleaned at a Citroen garage (Alpine Affairs). Lately, every now and then I’ve been having trouble starting the car and I always get the Water in diesel fuel filter message. The car would start after a few attempts, but twice I have heard a hi-pitch sound under the hood that stayed on after I had taken the key out of ignition. I had to wait for 15-30 minutes before the sound disappeared and the car started then.
My OBDII reader shows a few faulty codes. The last three are said to be“pending faults”.
P1352 – Ignition coil A primary circuit malfunction
P0562 – System voltage low
P1169 – Fuel rail sensor in-range high failure
P1197 – Key off voltage low
Are these related to Presence of water in diesel fuel filter? I have no clue.
A number of times immediately after I got the car started, two other error messages appeared on the dashboard, Speed control system faulty and Particle filter faulty. The car would have no power going uphill. Sometimes the problem would go away by itself and sometimes I had to remove the error codes with the OBDII scanner. The car would drive well afterwards.
Another weird thing. I have found the sun roof opening itself in the middle of a drive a few times.
Does anyone have any ideas what the real problem might be? This is my first diesel and I have no idea where to start. Any help would be really appreciated!
KD

You don't have an ignition coil in a diesel. P1352 is a warning that the preheating relay is not functioning.

More significantly, P0562 says is that the battery is low. P1197 is a fault in the injection engine computer - low voltage is listed as a possibility (sous-tension).

Clear the faults and see what returns - those above probably will. Most importantly, check the battery - they don't last more than 3 or 4 years. The C5 diesel uses an EFB battery, if you need a new one. There is a state of charge sensor mounted on it. Crazy behaviour may have a poor battery behind it as the computer malfunctions.

Last edited:
There are a number of threads on AF where modern cars have been behaving erratically and having the battery checked and replaced has led to miraculous solutions. First easy try.

If you have RACV membership they will usually come and test it for free and check the charging system too. Then again most battery shops will do the same.

Thanks so much for your input!
I have cleared the faults many times. Initially it was 3 faults. P0562 came up only recently. Now, just as you said, the same 4 codes always came back together.
I have looked into my service records. Alpine Affairs put in a new battery in July 2014. In September last year, the car was in the shop for a soft engine mount and the "speed control" and "particle filter" faults. The tax invoice has a note to check into "water in diesel" code. Not sure if they checked the status of the battery then.
So far, the speed control and particle filter problems seem to have more or less gone. I remember one time I had to accelerate real hard and I saw in the rear view mirror black smoke being blown out. I don't do much free way driving to clean the system, so I thought it must have been some real bad build up of fuel waste in the particle filter. Anyway, that hard acceleration seemed to have cleared the stuff out and the car was driving really well, until this "water in diesel filter" fault appeared on the dash. Each time I had to turn the key 10-15 times, or perhaps even more, before the car would start. That couldn't be good for the battery, I guess. If you find any of my "analysis" rubbish thought, please tell me. I'd really appreciate it.

I'll get the battery checked first thing as advised. - KD

I'll call RACV tomorrow as advised. Hopefully, I end up with a miraculous solution as well.
Incidentally, would a bad battery cause the computer to open the sun roof by itself? First time it happened, I thought my 12-year old boy must have touched the switch. He denied it and then it happened to me again without him in the car.
Anyway, first things first... Thanks so much for your input. -- KD

If the body computer gets in error, the weirdest things can happen, and computer health starts with power supply, so a check would be the best start.

Water in fuel is caught by the fuel filter. There is a drain at the foot of the housing, with a clear plastic drain hose that drops down. Checking is as simple as putting a glass jar under the drain and opening the screw. If it won't run, there is a bleed screw on top that will let some air in. It should be done at least at every service, and more often if you suspect a bad fuel fill-up has put water in your tank.

The only way to keep the particle filter clean is to be on a continuous modest speed run when the computer wishes to regenerate. It won't begin without this, as it gets extraordinarily hot and blows hot crap out of the back, so isn't appropriate when in normal surroundings. There is no indicator. The easiest solution is a regular run on a motorway or long country road. The workshop can force a regen, with high engine speed and preferably not indoors.

The computer monitors the filter by means of pressure sensors. If you get underneath you can see the sensor tubing.

Last edited:
Firstly, a 2007 C5 will be different to the X7 originally asked about, so the specifics will differ a little. I assume this is a 2.0 HDi and not a 2.2HDi and the VIN includes RHR.

The water in diesel fault can appear because the sensor in the bottom of the fuel filter is faulty. It's easily changed and not particularly expensive if it keeps coming back and there is never any water.

You want the battery tested with a modern load testing test device. These are able to distinguish between a battery with a weak surface charge that presents as OK with a multimeter, but fails rapidly. This is sort of like the old cranking test vs reading 12V with a multimeter. Anyway, replace if suspect and at 3 years old, it could well be suspect. Start there as suggested.

The EGR valve are electric on the RHR engine and can drop the valve head or snap off the actuator arm inside. They don't last forever and the car will be very difficult to start or not start at all if it is failing/failed. If you DIY, track down a spare, say ex-UK, to have on hand as they are expensive locally. You would likely see the particle filter blocked if the EGR fails, but it can get stuck mid-regeneration on it's own. With many people having a faux Lexia, they might attempt a DIY forced regeneration, but its not a job to do indoors or on painted concrete - messy and hot!

Hi Seasink, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the forum. I wanted to thank you for your help and give you an update.
The problem was the battery as you suspected. I managed to make it last another 3 months and it finally refused to start the car and the computer didn't even give me the error codes as it used to.
The RACV guy said the battery that the Citreon garage had put in my car was below capacity - it was a 700 and C5 would need a 750 - and that was probably why it had lasted only 3 years. He's now put an 850 in the car. It's been doing fine since.
The RACV guy also recommends that I keep a charger in the garage. He says that the alternator can cause damage to the battery when it's fast charging during the drive. I thought I would run it by you first.
Once again, thank you for your help. You made that last three months easier to tolerate. Cheers. KD

Forgot to mention. Do you happen to know a garage in my area for my C5 that you'd recommend?
The below capacity battery was not the only thing that made me hesitate to go back to the old one. They had known the error codes for quite a while, but made it sound like a mysterious problem that would require a lot of money to diagnose...
Anyway, if you do have one to recommend, that'd be my luck. The car will be up for service soon. Thanks and cheers. KD

Hi, I know this tread is a bit old but thought for those that are keeping up with this tread I too had a Citroen C5 2003 HDI 2L SEDAN that kept on giving me a water in the diesel message. I changed the sensor that is attached to the diesel fuel filter housing and voila message gone and no more problems. Mind you I did just in case drain of some diesel fuel as well. Fuel showed no signs of water contamination. Bought a C5X7 2010 Comfort 89000 KM with a new timing belt and sofar no real problems, touch wood. I noticed too that the door handles where that sticky stuff is also shows wear. My solution, a bit of ajax, gently removed the gold colored sticky stuff and underneath it shows the light gray plastic. Looks better that before. The plastic bit comes of easy if u have one of those panel removal tools, cheap as a complete set on EBay that will include easy removal tools for those plastic panel fittings.

All I can say about service in your area is that the nearest big dealership to you is hopeless. I damaged a tyre valve post despite being very gentle with a brand new air compressor device at a servo near my work. I parked in the garage at work and as I suspected I had a flat tyre by evening. It was a nice practice to change the wheel in comfortable dry surroundings. When I went to collect the car from having this fixed they told me there was nothing wrong with it so they just put the wheel back on. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS. Why do they think I changed the wheel, with a tyre that went flat over 3 hours? So I took them out to look at it and I photographed it with the phone and blew it up to show them the crack in the post. Another afternoon wasted having to leave the car again. I take mine to Paris Motors in Richmond where you can talk to the mechanics, and they listen. Presumably Regan's in Hawthorn will start servicing Citroens under the new regime.

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you are going to look for a second hand fuse box, or new, but i can order a new factory fuse box for about half the dealer price.

Just need you vin # and I can give you an exact cost.

Can also give you some places to try for a used box if you want as well?

Best regards,

Greg
Hi Greg, I have a C5 X7 2009 with the same symptoms. It took me a while to find this blog (I'm new to the Citroen world). I appreciate these messages are now many years old. I'm just wondering whether the replacement fuse box did the trick, and where to source them from. I'm not getting any answer out of Citroen Parramatta, and am worried a little bit about the aftermarket ones available online. Thanks. Joe

Welcome to Aussiefrogs.

You will get a better result by starting a new thread, but the engine fuse boxes can be got second hand or new. One dealer to inquire from is AA Autoparts in Melbourne. I know they stock them, and they are on their website.

The Sydney dealers can be a bit (er.. a lot) hit and miss. There is a place where they really know their stuff - Continental Cars at Roselands/Punchbowl. Talk to the parts department. Dealer pricing though.

Before you jump in to spending money, post what your trouble is, as you might get a different solution.

Thanks very much seasink for the advice. I'll start a new thread with all symptoms like you suggested. Thanks again. Joe