Citroen C5 diesel - Great Review

Uga Boga

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Citroen C5 diesel
The Sun-Herald
Monday June 13 2005

The luxurious and classy French sedan is one of the hidden gems on the Australian car market, says BOB JENNINGS.

Pigeonhole: Economical luxury the turbo-diesel way.

Philosophy: Keep doing it differently and saying the rest of the world's got it wrong.

Trivia: The test C5 had swivelling headlights that turn in the same direction as the front wheels a feature it had on the DS model sold in Australia from 1968 to 1974.

Who's buying it: Those who aren't afraid to step out of the mainstream.

advertisement

advertisement
Why you'd buy it: It's a sensible, practical, economical car and achieved the best test results under the European NCAP regime.

Why you wouldn't: The folk at the footy club might thing you're strange.

Standard equipment: Not much it hasn't got; six air bags, anti-lock brakes, power operation of most things inside, headlights can be turned on and off from outside the car by using the key fob, power-operated seats. Automatic air-conditioning.

Safety: A 36 out of 37 points score in the Euro-NCAP test, with a maximum score in the frontal impact test. There are "knee" airbags as well for front-seat occupants. Then there's the electronic enhancement of brakes and stability.

Cabin: Well-organised instruments and controls. Armrests for the front seats, good storage, and a huge boot with a hatchback-style tailgate incorporating a rear wiper. View from the driver's seat out the back isn't great.

Seating: Splendid. Front seats have electric adjustments and good side support, and the people in the back travel limo class.

Engine: Europeans like diesels and this is a good one. Size is up from 2.0 litres to 2.2 litres in this model and with a turbocharger it develops 98 kilowatts of power and very strong torque. It's slightly slow to respond from low engine speeds but overall acceleration is strong. And it's quiet.

Transmission: Five-speed auto with manual override mode.

Steering: Light but not particularly communicative and the car has a fairly wide, 12.4-metre turning circle.

Ride: Excellent, with Citroen's fancy multi-mode, electronically controlled hydraulic suspension. It constantly adjusts to handle different road conditions and speeds.

Handling: The suspension keeps the body sitting flat. Surprisingly agile.

Fuel: Citroen says the average consumption is 7.1 litres/ 100 kilometres; it will easily do this on the open road; around town it's more like 12 to 14. Still good.

Brakes: Highly effective four-wheel discs with electronic anti-lock and other controls that enhance braking performance. They're strong.

Build: Good which is not always the case with French cars. No interior rattles or squeaks.

Warranty: An industry average three years or 100,000 kilometres.

Security: Good. Apart from the remote control fob's headlight operation, doors automatically lock as soon as the car starts moving.

Audio: Good-quality sound with controls on a steering column stalk. Dash-mounted CD player. Volume automatically related to road speed.

Price: It's $51,990 standard. The test car had metallic paint for $750 and steerable headlights with washers for $1500. A lot of luxury car for the money. Plenty of rivals don't offer as much.

Verdict: Stylish, well-equipped, practical and with great economy, ride and handling. It's one of the hidden gems on the Australian car market.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=9829&vf=2&bg=1&pp=2

Fuel: Citroen says the average consumption is 7.1 litres/ 100 kilometres; it will easily do this on the open road; around town it's more like 12 to 14. Still good.

$hite if all I could get was 12 - 14 around town I would take it back to the dealer, I can get that (14) out of my 4.2 litre intercooled turbocharged 12 valve tractor motor in my behemouth landcruiser. The C5 must be closer to 7 - 9 around town as my 405 SRDT without the high pressure common rail injection gets 7's and down to low 5's on the highway.

5-spd auto? However I know, the 2.2 L Hdi has the old 4-speed. The new 2.0 has the new 6-speed. There is no 5-speed in any Citroën.

Regards,
Martin

The review was a fantastic write up just hope the dealerships keep the momentum rolling with it......:2cents: :2cents: