Citroen C4 BSM - where to buy new in Australia

gwest

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
I have a 2005 C4 Exclusive with climate control A/C on which the heater fan does not work. The fan itself tests ok on the bench. I have replaced the 'resistor' with no effect. There is voltage at the fan and resistor. I am thinking that maybe there is a relay on the under-bonnet fuse box (BSM) that is faulty. I have had no success in getting a wiring diagram yet. If I could buy a new unit for a reasonable price it would be worth a try- does anyone know if there are suppliers outside the expensive Citroen dealer network?[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]MyBSM has the following label: 9657718780 BSM-L06-00 S118983006L.[/FONT]

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Have you been able to get a diagbox session on your car to see if there are any climate control errors, or put some test voltages out to the motor control box to see if that starts the fan motor? If you have voltage at the motor, then it would seem that all the relays are working OK. Have you checked for an earthing problem?

If you PM me your VIN, I might be able to find a circuit diagram for you.

Cheers, Ken

diag.jpg

Grant, looks like the BSM is probably the culprit.
Best to call up local wreckers and pull the BSM and confirm the part number naturally.
Others may suggest where else would be a recommended place to pick one up from in Tassie?

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thank you Seasink- unfortunately the attachment would not open.

Grant

Thank you Ken- my VIN is [FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]VF7LCRFJF74305076[/FONT]

Ken,
French Car Care in Kingston could only detect one error code, and that was for the automatic wipers that have never worked since the windscreen was replaced. A replacement fan resistor (from China) did not help, and when the fan was removed it ran ok with 12V. Initially the problem was that the fan would quit on high speeds but run ok on less than half speed. I do note that there are a lot of used PSA BSMs on sale on the internet, and given that they cost $1048 new from the dealers I can see why. Some of the more reasonable prices for used units were from a Lithuanian site but the units are not tested, but can be returned. It is a bit of a lottery but then so is life!

Ken,
French Car Care in Kingston could only detect one error code, and that was for the automatic wipers that have never worked since the windscreen was replaced. A replacement fan resistor (from China) did not help, and when the fan was removed it ran ok with 12V. Initially the problem was that the fan would quit on high speeds but run ok on less than half speed. I do note that there are a lot of used PSA BSMs on sale on the internet, and given that they cost $1048 new from the dealers I can see why. Some of the more reasonable prices for used units were from a Lithuanian site but the units are not tested, but can be returned. It is a bit of a lottery but then so is life!

i found this ad on Gumtree up here in Brisbane. Maybe give him a call? Regards, Adrian
Citroen/Peugeot BSI repairs on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1137...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Thanks Adrian, he's already contacted me, hence heading towards BSM as have worked through what he has tried a b d French car care have investigated.
Now to track down a BSM in Tassie to confirm internal relay issue.
Cheers Dimi

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Having the diagram helps a lot. Assuming the diagram indeed corresponds to this car ...

Since there is voltage (assume 12V+) at the fan and resistor per post#1 (i.e. fan module pin 4 and fan motor pin 2), the BSM may be OK if you follow the wiring diagram.

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, the fan motor supply runs to earth via a varying resistance to set the speed. Does pin 1 of the fan module socket have a strong earth?

Perhaps, borrow a genuine fan module and try it? Or jump pins 1 and 3 on the fan module socket, which should make the fan run full speed as it will switch the fan supply directly to earth.

You can also jump power across the relay in the BSM and supply 12V to the outlet pin as a test.

My foray into SEDRE came up with the same diagram as above. There is a Relay7 in the BSM and some fuses in the line to the fan. Given that the motor is getting 12 volts, I would be checking the connector going into the fan speed controller to verify earthing, that there is a varying speed control voltage coming from the aircon ECU, and other suggestions from David S. If that checks out OK, it would be good to try a known good control module. Let me know if you would like more circuit info.

Cheers, Ken

Dimi helped me recently identify that one of my 407's many issues was a faulty BSM. What i did was remove the old one, got the part number of it (you need to ensure you get one with the same part number, not just from the same year model & engined car). I ended up buying mine from a guy in the UK. I paid 1/3 the price I could get one from a wrecker locally and that included delivery from the uk. A new one from the Pug dealer was ridiculously priced (about half the value of the car) and had to come from France.

Having said that, it wasn't a daily drive car, so waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery was not an issue to me.

I'll post some better diagrams when the resource limit permits. 7 tries is enough.

diag2.jpg

diag3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you very much Seasink for al the trouble you went to scanning the circuit diagrams- I can now read the codes! I did French at High school in the 1960s so it can't be too hard!

Thank you David I do appreciate the advice, although I don't understand all of it. I am a man of limited electrical knowledge, and since it is my wife's car, and one more strike and I have my spanners taken away, I will be very cautious jumping anything! I do have a Hella resistor/ controller module on order and I will try that before I resort to buying a BSM. Genuine BSM is $1048, alternative Australian supplier of European parts $601 and quite a range of prices for second hand units, with the cheapest being from Lithuania, but which come with no guarantee. They are returnable but postage would not be trivial. We were meant to be trading the car in last year, but I have been adopting delaying tactics while hoping the C3 Aircross might eventually arrive in time to be considered. So of course any money spent on the C4 in the mean time just further dents my credibility. I think it is no accident that half the time I hit C$ instead of C4!

It turned out that a genuine heater resistor did not fix the problem of the fan not working, so there was nothing wrong with the cheap Chinese part. I searched the internet for matching parts FOR MY BSM but could not find any. Two weeks ago I got a call from my wife at the local shopping centre to say that the car would not start. RACT did their best but there were multiple error codes for injectors and coils so it was taken on the back of a truck to the garage. French Car Care ordered a new BSM from the UK ($582) and it arrived today. And the car is now working fine, including the fan. The new part numbers were 6500CK, BSM-L04-00, S118983004Q. The original part numbers were 965771870, BSM-L-06-00, S118983006L. The part numbers have evolved over the years. My mechanic considers that these components have a 10 year life span.