citroen C2

sim0n

Fellow Frogger
Hi all! im new to this forum and new to citroen (euro) cars! ive got a fair amount of knowledge on jap cars and with years of drooling and learning about them all, im quite frankly over them. That is why im very seriously considering the citroen c2 as my next car, although my wants are not without my concerns...

Rumours have it that citroens are not the most reliable cars of the pack and also parts and servicing are quite dear and will have me waiting forever for parts to be shipped. I want to know if these rumours are true! Because although i do enjoy cars as an enthusiast, i also need a reliable/cheap car to run daily and i don't have the time or money to waste on little car defaults that can be avoided!

So i make a pledge, to all you citroen owners, to cast your citroen fan egoism aside, and tell me whether these rumours are true, because it is basically the only reasons holding me back...

what are the costs of parts and services like compared to its japanese rivals?
do they tend to break down as often as rumoured?
would my c2 make the 100,000km mark without many major dramas?
can i supercharge it? :D

thank you all in advance for your time and input!

C2

sim0n said:
Hi all! im new to this forum and new to citroen (euro) cars! ive got a fair amount of knowledge on jap cars and with years of drooling and learning about them all, im quite frankly over them. That is why im very seriously considering the citroen c2 as my next car, although my wants are not without my concerns...

Rumours have it that citroens are not the most reliable cars of the pack and also parts and servicing are quite dear and will have me waiting forever for parts to be shipped. I want to know if these rumours are true! Because although i do enjoy cars as an enthusiast, i also need a reliable/cheap car to run daily and i don't have the time or money to waste on little car defaults that can be avoided!

So i make a pledge, to all you citroen owners, to cast your citroen fan egoism aside, and tell me whether these rumours are true, because it is basically the only reasons holding me back...

what are the costs of parts and services like compared to its japanese rivals?
do they tend to break down as often as rumoured?
would my c2 make the 100,000km mark without many major dramas?
can i supercharge it? :D

thank you all in advance for your time and input!

Greetings Simon.

I have had my c2 for nearly a year now - I have over 23000 km on it, and have not had any trouble as yet.

Servicing occurs at 20000 km intervals, and that cost me just over $400 at a local Citroen dealer. Quite simply, it is a fascinating car that drives well, and if you spend a little time getting used to SensoDrive, it is very rewarding.

However, I must raise a point or two with you - you sort of ask us to put our "egoism" aside...well, I guess that if we just felt that Citroens were just ordinary cars, then we would not be on this forum in the first place! :D

Secondly, what I have written above is just my experience alone...others may have equally valid opinions about the car that do not agree - and I do not think anyone can comment about how well a C2 will last over 100000 km in Australia...as they have not been out here that long. Given my trouble free and very enjoyable ownership experience thus far, I am reasonably assured that the C2 will continue to be reliable...but the only guarantee that you have is the warranty!

In short...I think the car is great.... :eek:

Cheers

sim0n > Parts and servicing are quite dear and will have me waiting forever for parts to be shipped.
Citroen carry stock in Australia, if your unlucky enough the part you want is not here a 4-6 week wait is possible. This is the same for just about any Euro car, so you are not alone.

sim0n > what are the costs of parts and services like compared to its japanese rivals?
12month servicing is a bonus .. most Japs are 6 months.

sim0n > do they tend to break down as often as rumoured?
The only stats you could possibly believe is auto club (RAC, NRMA) type figures. The problem is there is only a few Cit's in Aust compared to the Ford, Holdens, Toyotas etc, so if you do hear about problems it amplifies them. Taking the rose coloured glasses off for a moment, "I" feel the French cars do have a higher incidence of breakdowns .. this is annecdotal evidence based on my ownership of a Peugeot, and the Renaults and Citroens that have been in the familiy - compared to the Toyota's, VW's and Subaru's that are now in the family.

sim0n > would my c2 make the 100,000km mark without many major dramas?
Treat it like dirt, probably not ... no car would. Look after it, then I can't see why not.

sim0n > can i supercharge it? :D
Anything is possible with money - If you do, let us know :)

- xTc -

Hey Simon,

comments made about french cars and breaking down and parts and service costs are generally made by people that don't and haven't owned them, primarily to maintain the hoodoo surrounding them and to encourage same marque buying and maintainance of the staus quo. Take the punt and read through lots of threads here and see that there are thousands of happy french car owners swapping knowledge and parts and information to maintain and improve these remarkable cars.

I've had little direct experience with Citroen but every time I do I am amazed at what innovative vehicles they are and how they set new standards interms of driving efficiencey, speed per litre, braking strength, comfort etc.

I drive peugeots which have that same reputation, difficulty of spares, expense, breakdowm etc. and have found the reality to be anything but. I get big miles very cheaply by buying older rear wheel drive cars, restoring and maintaining them myself and have save thousands over what I would have expected to spend in aussi or jap cars.

So if generic encouragement for french vehicles can help, be assured that they are seriously produced cars that always set new standards and with support from people such as on this forum you can expect many years of exciting motoring from a new C2, not just your average shopping trolley experience. Test drive one today.

Cheers ed ge

i have had no prob with my C2...its done just over 20,000, no major repairs needed...euro cars usually cost more, but you get a better looking car...there are very few jap cars that look any good..you get everything you want included in a C2 plus the Sensodrive is great...i dont think servicing the car would be any cheaper but i dont think jap cars have a good repuation on quality..there is a turbo for the GT or VTS versions but i dont think for the VTR as it might be questionable if the gearbox could handle the extra power so ive been told..if you want something cheap and not attractive , jap cars are good for that...

The C2 is raced and rallyed extensively in Europe and do pretty well.
I've seen footage of some racing and they are awesome little cars
so if your after fast bits one day I'm sure there will be bits available
in Europe that filter into Australia.

Take one for a drive, or two!

Cheers, :)

I drive a C2 almost daily (not mine).
They are great fun to drive, very confortable for a sporty, & look the goods.

Be sure you are happy with the sensodrive as I think it spoils the whole driving experience.

This one has 22,000k's on it now with only minor warranty issues thus far (all sorted).

I say if the gearbox isn't a problem for you, go for it :D

Wow! thank you all for your replies! You lot are definetly more helpful than a certain Citroen car dealer at auto alley in Parramatta! He did however, point out that i could upgrade my warranty at any period within the duration of the 3 yrs/60,000km....just for peace of mind :)

Apologies Nil Time if my egoism comment seemed offensive...im still used to the immature thought patterns one would find on nissansilvia or toymods forums :p

I have done extensive research into the car and i think im too deep in the euro spell to back away now....but finding a forum like this is certainly very reassuring if by chance problems do arise....right now, my mind is battling between the $25,000 c2 or the $39,000 for the c4 vts!...i know thats a HUGE jump in price, but i think im leaniing towards the c2 simply because its my first euro car and it'll be a good "dip your toe in the water to see what its like" experience, rather than splashing all out!

Won't be going back to parramatta for a test drive but! Perhaps Rick Damelian's a better bet!

Welcome to the Forum!

sim0n said:
Wow! thank you all for your replies! You lot are definetly more helpful than a certain Citroen car dealer at auto alley in Parramatta! He did however, point out that i could upgrade my warranty at any period within the duration of the 3 yrs/60,000km....just for peace of mind :)

Apologies Nil Time if my egoism comment seemed offensive...im still used to the immature thought patterns one would find on nissansilvia or toymods forums :p

I have done extensive research into the car and i think im too deep in the euro spell to back away now....but finding a forum like this is certainly very reassuring if by chance problems do arise....right now, my mind is battling between the $25,000 c2 or the $39,000 for the c4 vts!...i know thats a HUGE jump in price, but i think im leaniing towards the c2 simply because its my first euro car and it'll be a good "dip your toe in the water to see what its like" experience, rather than splashing all out!

Won't be going back to parramatta for a test drive but! Perhaps Rick Damelian's a better bet!

Hey Simon, no need for apologies - no offence was taken :wink2:

The dealer who told you that the standard warranty was 36/60000 was incorrect....the standard warranty from Citroen from 1/02/05 is 36/100000.

Gibgib has raised a good point - I really like SensoDrive, but not everyone does...so make sure that you have a good, long test drive in traffic before you commit to it.

Another dealer in Sydney that appears to have a good reputation is Continentals, so you may also wish to pay a visit to them as well.

Cheers

sim0n said:

GO TO CONTINENTALS!! www.citroencentre.com.au

True Citroen enthusiasts, and they sell only Citroens.

The oldest Citroen dealer in Australia and thanks to Continentals, Citroen is also the oldest selling marque in Australia.

Bought my C4 from Continentals and the after sales service has been simply superb!

Speak to Bill, i'm sure he'll get you a good discount as well!

sim0n said:
..right now, my mind is battling between the $25,000 c2 or the $39,000 for the c4 vts!...i know thats a HUGE jump in price, but i think im leaniing towards the c2 simply because its my first euro car and it'll be a good "dip your toe in the water to see what its like" experience, rather than splashing all out!

Are Citroen still flogging off the remaining Xsara VTS's? For $26000 drive away they are good value.

Troy.

Uga Boga said:
GO TO CONTINENTALS!! www.citroencentre.com.au

True Citroen enthusiasts, and they sell only Citroens.

The oldest Citroen dealer in Australia and thanks to Continentals, Citroen is also the oldest selling marque in Australia.

Bought my C4 from Continentals and the after sales service has been simply superb!

Speak to Bill, i'm sure he'll get you a good discount as well!

Might be time to sort some urban myth levels. Continentals have been around for many years, but they were not the only ones. There have been long term dealers in Brisbane and Melbourne and one other in Wollongong who has since ceased trading. The combined efforts of many dealers kept the marque alive in Aus. Even Macquered's Grandfather was a dealer for many years.

However, I agree that the crew at Continentals are very good to deal with.

On the topic of a discount, ask Bill for a discount on a C4, he loves having a good laugh!

Especially after the C4 was on the ACA as the most "sexy" car. I liked what the chairman of the voting commitee had to say about Citroen :headbang:

TroyO said:
Are Citroen still flogging off the remaining Xsara VTS's? For $26000 drive away they are good value.

Troy.
They're sold out unless there are any sitting in dealer stock. :cool: