Chinese 307 sedan on the way

GavinS

Fellow Frogger
As per the Geneva motor show site;
Peugeot 307 sedan
The new notchback version, intended for the Chinese market, is already the sixth body form variation of the 307. It is manufactured by Dong Feng Peugeot Citroën Automobiles in Wuhan and is scheduled to be ready for sale in summer 2004. :rolleyes:
Bets are being taken that Aus willl be a test site for sales to the west for feed back on quality issues and not to mention profit margin. Lets hope it means cheaper Pugs for us. :dance:

hi billy,

Actually this is good news. It will boost peugeot and citroen as car makers and make us get cheaper pugs here. Also the factory in china is the most state of the art for the psa group in the world. They have put alot of time and money to get things right so they can try to break into the chinese market.

Cheers Nick

P.s you already in hk?

briz205 said:
hi billy,

Actually this is good news. It will boost peugeot and citroen as car makers and make us get cheaper pugs here. Also the factory in china is the most state of the art for the psa group in the world. They have put alot of time and money to get things right so they can try to break into the chinese market.
I'm sure they won't be advertising the fact it's Made in China ;)

In all seriousness, I would expect the standard of quality to be similar to the French/English cars (can't be any worse can it :D). Just remember Ryton (UK) was rated as Peugeot's worst 206 plant in the world for quality :eek:

I don't think we'll see cheaper Pugs here in the short term as a result of the introduction of the 307 Sedan, rather fatter margins for Sime Darby for this particular model or a really well equipped version (can't cheapen down the range - looks silly from a marketing point of view if you have a sedan (which would probably be a 2.0) cheaper or at the same price as the hatch).

At the Melbourne Motorshow, I inspected the VW Polo Sedan very closely, being the first mass made in China car to be sold here. The quality was just as good as the European built example.

Pug307 said:
At the Melbourne Motorshow, I inspected the VW Polo Sedan very closely, being the first mass made in China car to be sold here. The quality was just as good as the European built example.

Yep, read about the chinese made VW polo's here. I'm sure VW dealers would be very tight lipped about it unless you actually asked. I don't think however quality would be an issue. It's not who knocks the bits together that counts. Any well trained chimpanzee can hammer a nail into a block of wood. What counts is how careful they are when they do it. And so since they pay these workers a pittance they can afford to make sure the quality is at any grade they desire.

I don't really see what people are worried about. The chinese have been making good quality stuff for years. I was in China in 1988 and I am almost positive that both Jeep and VW were making cars there then. Have a look around at all of the stuff that you have at home and you will find loads of stuff with "made in China" written on it (speakers, DVD players, TVs etc.). The only problem is that it is a 307! lol I don't like them much as they are underpowered and have been hit with the ugly stick. Bring back the GTI6! :)

Well lightning I don't think quality is the concern especially in the USA-

The Detroit News
Labor unions called on the Bush administration to punish China because worker oppression in the booming market has spawned unfair trade conditions and contributed to a loss of 2.8 million U.S. manufacturing jobs.
The AFL-CIO, a coalition of 64 unions representing 13 million American workers, filed a petition Tuesday with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick using a section of the Trade Act usually reserved for companies seeking relief from unfair trade conditions.
The complaint charges that China has gained a commercial advantage by violating worker rights, suppressing strikes, barring independent trade unions and ignoring minimum wage laws.
Among the abuses the petition cites is forced labor.
“China enforces a system of internal passports that deprives migrant workers of the most fundamental civil, legal, and political rights when they work temporarily in factory towns and cities,” the AFL-CIO said.
“Upon arrival to the factories from their rural villages, migrant workers become heavily indebted in order to pay large deposits and other fees to their employers. ... They are thereby turned into bonded laborers.”
And the complaint comes as top Chinese officials prepare to visit Washington next month to discuss trade and commercial conflicts between the partners.
Free trade up to a point.

GavinS said:
Well lightning I don't think quality is the concern especially in the USA-

The Detroit News
Labor unions called on the Bush administration to punish China because worker oppression in the booming market has spawned unfair trade conditions and contributed to a loss of 2.8 million U.S. manufacturing jobs.
The AFL-CIO, a coalition of 64 unions representing 13 million American workers, filed a petition Tuesday with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick using a section of the Trade Act usually reserved for companies seeking relief from unfair trade conditions.
The complaint charges that China has gained a commercial advantage by violating worker rights, suppressing strikes, barring independent trade unions and ignoring minimum wage laws.
Among the abuses the petition cites is forced labor.
“China enforces a system of internal passports that deprives migrant workers of the most fundamental civil, legal, and political rights when they work temporarily in factory towns and cities,” the AFL-CIO said.
“Upon arrival to the factories from their rural villages, migrant workers become heavily indebted in order to pay large deposits and other fees to their employers. ... They are thereby turned into bonded laborers.”
And the complaint comes as top Chinese officials prepare to visit Washington next month to discuss trade and commercial conflicts between the partners.
Free trade up to a point.

Now theres a regime we want to encourage :mallet: Whereever possible, I avoid that made in China label on principle, even if it costs more for an alternative. :2cents:

Just so you all know what's going on, pugrambo moved this thread to the Toad Pond because it'd gone off topic. I've just tested out the "Split Thread" function for moderators and moved the on topic bits back to the Peugeot section.

Glad to see it worked well :D

Derek :cool:

The Chinese has a funny way with regards to their Quality Control system....the quality only goes down hills after the first couple of years of good run. Just hoping the French would keep a 'cane' next to them when they inspecting the quality of the finished product...and not to scare to use the 'cane' when the quality is sub-standard.

Cheers
Billy

PS, Nick - Yep I am about ~7000km away from my 2 beloved pugs :cry:
So far I have only managed to see 1 205 CTi with a slush box and no :citroen: (It is so disappointing to see no Cits, whilst being a recent Cit Convert)