Check your leads!!!!!!

Gilly

Fellow Frogger
This just maybe my lack of knowledge on euro cars but i was having problems with my 205 when it started to get a consistant miss all through the rev range at first i thought it was something to do with starvation of fuel as when i held my foot at a position on the throttle it felt like the engine kicked back into life, however when i was taking off one day i heard a small back fire and thought straight away that it could not possibly be starvation but unburnt and low and behold one of my leads was rat shit from residue and so forth so perseded to get a timing light to check the spark and voila no spark so ........there you go ........

Gilly,

Don't know the type of set up for the plug leads on your Pug, but having owned Cits for many moons I know what the plug leads can do to them. The froggys seem to have some sort of fettish about hiding them in silly places. A CX for instance needs a plug spanner around 9" long to get to the plugs and then sticks these cardboard looking insulators over the outside to stop shorting onto the head. The BX 1.6 had tapered type plugs also recessed that give you heart flutters each time you remove them. The 16 valve has a cover plate that fits over the valley between the cams and these bloody great boxy looking insulators that fit tight against the head as well as clipping onto the top of the plugs. Mine had gone hard & were also shorting onto the head. I replaced them with silicone leads as the originals were rock hard. I still get an ocasional short to the head but mainly it is OK.
In the UK they suggest "Magnacore" leads which at = to A$150 per set would need to almost come with hot & cold running blondes ;) :eek: to justify the price.
I have always made it a policy with Cits that whenever I buy one I either replace the leads as a matter of course or go have a look at it in the dark at night & look out for the "fireworks" display :rolleyes:

Alan S