Cheap castor oil for early ID & DS suspension

citds67

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
For all pre 1967 ID & DS (red fluid cars), I've found a very reasonably priced supplier of Castor oil. Several people have told me that castor oil is the best alternative to the red fluid ( LHS), easier on the seals than canola oil and it was even mixed with LHS when this fluid was still cheaply available.

The company is called Australian Botanical Products Ph. (03) 97964833
the product is called Castor Oil BP and costs just under $140 for 20 litres.

Cheers, Hugo

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting that link, I have so much to learn
I've previously had a supply of LHS which was out of an 1962 ID that I dismantled about 6 years ago. I have only needed to top up the reservoirs in my ID's with castor oil a couple of times ( after excessive suspension leaks)and left the bulk of the castor oil with my mechanic.
I was wondering about the viscosity difference between red fluid and castor oil, the cars seem to ride smoothly, although my DS21 has more supple suspension (green fluid)
I've never heard of a DOT4 brake fluid and castor oil mix,
is the ratio 25% DOT4 or 25% castor oil?

Cheers,Hugo

Last edited:
citds67 said:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting that link, I have so much to learn
I've previously had a supply of LHS which was out of an 1962 ID that I dismantled about 6 years ago. I have only needed to top up the reservoirs in my ID's with castor oil a couple of times ( after excessive suspension leaks)and left the bulk of the castor oil with my mechanic.
I was wondering about the viscosity difference between red fluid and castor oil, the cars seem to ride smoothly, although my DS21 has more supple suspension (green fluid)
I've never heard of a DOT4 brake fluid and castor oil mix,
is the ratio 25% DOT4 or 25% castor oil?
There seems to be a wide variation in the price of DOT4 brake fluid. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced supplier in Melbourne.

Cheers,Hugo

Hi Guys,

I think castor oil by itself is far to thick. Definatly use brake fluid with a smaller % of castor oil added. There is a few of use that have been using canola oil for some time. So far it's been ok, however the castor oil/brake fluid mix I feel is probably better (infact I wouldn't be surprised if that's what LHS2 is).

Your brake fluid DS doesn't ride as well as the green fluid car because the castor oil is thicker, so flows through the sphere valves much more slowly (making the car firmer).

seeya,
Shane L.

Hi All,
I've purchased the DOT4 brake fluid and taken it to my mechanic.
He is reluctant to use it because he doesn't know anyone who has tried this blend.
Does anyone on this forum use a blend of DOT4 and castor oil n their early ID?Has it been successful and what ratio did you find was best?
I have read the link that Paul posted and will email it to my mechanic, but it would also be reassuring to hear that someone is using this blend without any damage to seals and the ratio they prefer

Cheers Hugo