Changing Transmission oil 407 al4

The document I attached says 3 litres.

It was a bit of a surprise to drain out 4.7 litres when I first got the XM - looks like a mechanic skimmed the document, spotted the figure 4.7l, and poured that much in. However 4.7l is the volume of oil remaining after draining, not the amount to be added!!!

Previous owner proudly told me how he precisely measured the amount that he drained, and added back in exactly that amount! There may be a flaw in his logic somewhere...

Anyway, as Haakon says for the AL4, it didn't make any difference - when hot it thumps on the downchange back to first, irrespective of fluid level.

The document I attached says 3 litres.

It was a bit of a surprise to drain out 4.7 litres when I first got the XM - looks like a mechanic skimmed the document, spotted the figure 4.7l, and poured that much in. However 4.7l is the volume of oil remaining after draining, not the amount to be added!!!

Previous owner proudly told me how he precisely measured the amount that he drained, and added back in exactly that amount! There may be a flaw in his logic somewhere...

Anyway, as Haakon says for the AL4, it didn't make any difference - when hot it thumps on the downchange back to first, irrespective of fluid level.
Basically if its too low you will get a delay in engaging, or a good one is reversing out of a driveway onto a sloped road and getting a delay thump engaging drive.

Too much and you'll get foaming and/or overheating.

The "bucket" filler with the long tube in the how-to isn't easily obtained, but any car bits place will have a transmission funnel, which has a long flex part to reach into the fill hole. It's tricky not to make a mess without one.

Like this:

Haven't seen one of those. I have a couple of funnels that came with a plastIc tube that is perfect for my 605 (4HP18, with a dip stick) and for manual boxes (406, Xantia etc.).

For the XM (4HP20) I have bought a nest of little funnels which can be stacked (smallest at the bottom and largest at the top) which does the job.

Next issue is of course the right fluid... Fortunately the AL4 & the 4HP20 use the same fluid...

The original stuff is LT71141 (made by Mobil & others), but this is now expensive & hard to get. Fortunately there are now suitable synthetic multigrade fluids available.