change zx engine

deepblue

Tadpole
dear sirs,

do you have any experiences on mounting a xsara's engine into citroen zx to replace old one.
I do want some advise.
many thanks in advance.:wink2:

As long as the replacement engine is of the same type (xu or tu) as what is already in your ZX, there should be no problems. I thought in china, they mainly use TU series engines? If you car is a 1.6tu, then a 1.6xu won't fit!
The xsara is the decendant of the ZX, so I believe all the mountings are the same. john s

smiffy1071 said:
As long as the replacement engine is of the same type (xu or tu) as what is already in your ZX, there should be no problems. I thought in china, they mainly use TU series engines? If you car is a 1.6tu, then a 1.6xu won't fit!
The xsara is the decendant of the ZX, so I believe all the mountings are the same. john s

Many thanks for you kind respondence.

I am sorry I have not told your my car is zx 1.4, the engine is TU3JP 1.4 liter. Can it also be replace by xsara's XU engine and transmission?

I very much doubt it would fit, I'm fairly sure the engine mountings are different between the TU and XU series motors, as the XU is a physically much bigger engine. The TU engine is actually a very robust little engine, and goes very well, especially if you can find an AXGT motor!!
On annother note, I changed the engine on my ZX19 volcane today, not running yet, but will be by next week! john s

Attachments

• car parts 051.jpg
    car parts 051.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 208
  • car parts 052.jpg
    car parts 052.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 227
  • car parts 050.jpg
    car parts 050.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 218
The engine on the floor, is from a car I crashed 2 years ago!!! It's been in my shed on the floor with a blanket over it since then. I've been getting things like a new cambelt, clutch, and stuff, as I don't want to take the engine back out again in a hurry! john s

Thanks for your quick reply.
I admire you for there are plenty of materials you can find out in Australia, especially the AXGT!
How much is a second-hand AXTG in Australia? Is it difficult to be find?

deepblue said:
Thanks for your quick reply.
I admire you for there are plenty of materials you can find out in Australia, especially the AXGT!
How much is a second-hand AXGT in Australia? Is it difficult to be find?
Book price in Australia is theoretically somewhere between $1500 and $4000. There were so few imported (40?, 50?), however, that finding one may be difficult. Besides which it will be 14-15 years old :( .

Here in England, a good AXGT will go for about £800, but if it's tatty (daggy?)
about £200. They are starting to become popular with the kids here, who are discovering how quick they are! I've had 2, and they are such fun!!!:D
john s

Ah yes, but the Australian ones came standard with air conditioning that leaked a constant supply of icy drinking water into the passenger footwell and predated the current Emergency Brake Assist technology by having a master cylinder that seized after a heavy application. This technology was unreliable, as it only worked during the first three weeks of the car's life....

Ah, memories of being a Franzcar Unofficial Test Driver :( .

Good Morning!!

I am not familiar with AXGT, originally is it be mounted in Citroen ZX or AX ?

Could you like give me some specifications on AXGT or introduce this engine? thanks a lot!!

If this AXGT is suitble for ZX, Perhaps it is better than changing xsara's engine.

Wang CH

Hi wang,

i drive a zx 16V...if im not mistaken the top engine mounts for zx, xsara, 205, 306 and 405 are all the same...but what you need to find out if the gearbox mounting and lower engine mounts are the same...

go for zx 16V engine as it gives you good fuel economy and plenty of power...i would be really good if you can get the XU10J4RS engine (from Xsara VTS or 306Gti-6) and transplant it to your car....

something simpler would be to go for XU10J2 which pumps about 123bhp stock...you can get plenty of these engines in malaysia....even whole halfcuts are available for about RM 4000 to RM 5000...

happy hunting mate!

:cheers:

many thanks for your advice.

Consider interface and reliability, if I replant the old engine, I will change transmission too with engine.

In China, I only can find Citroen's EW10 engine which is being used at xsara, manufactured by the joint venture between Citroen and Chinese local maker. But the car is the same as original.

So the engine and transmission can be planted in old ZX.

Thank you again.

Wang CH

deepblue said:
Is there any body can keeping talking on this subject?

If i'm not mistaken, there was a post about a guy over in europe putting a GTI180 engine (EW10 series) into a 405 if you want to do a search of the forum. Wether or not that is of any relevance to what your trying to do is another question

To fit a XU engine in a car who's chassis was meant for a TU would I think be very difficult. You would need to change the engine and gearbox mountings, and the engine management, with all its wiring. Also, the exhaust will be totally different, as the TU it comes out the front, but the XU comes out the back of the cylinder head. In other words, it really is
TOTALY DIFFERENT!!!
It could be done, but you would need a complete car as spares, and a lot of skill to do it. Do you get the SAXO VTR in china? That will almost certainly fit, as it has a 1.6 TU engine, so the mountings will be the same. You will still need to change the engine management and wiring though.
john s

smiffy1071 said:
To fit a XU engine in a car who's chassis was meant for a TU would I think be very difficult. You would need to change the engine and gearbox mountings, and the engine management, with all its wiring. Also, the exhaust will be totally different, as the TU it comes out the front, but the XU comes out the back of the cylinder head. In other words, it really is
TOTALY DIFFERENT!!!
It could be done, but you would need a complete car as spares, and a lot of skill to do it. Do you get the SAXO VTR in china? That will almost certainly fit, as it has a 1.6 TU engine, so the mountings will be the same. You will still need to change the engine management and wiring though.
john s

A peugeot 106 GTI would be the same as well would it not?