CD Player for the XM

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I know that we have some experts in sound systems out there, so here is a question for you:

I want to put a CD Stacker in the XM. It has a Citroen branded Radio Cassette, but this is apparently a rebadged Eurovox. The buttons on the system indicate that it is capable of controlling a CD player.

What should I get and is it possible to get something in Aus and where would I get it?

Would this only be a single CD unit or are stackers available?

What prices would I be looking at?

Would you suggest installation under the passenger seat or in the back left area of the boot. There is an area that would accommodate the CD stacker there.

Please note, I do not want to run up the national debt, I just want to add a CD player to my existing unit so that I can listen to my music while I drive. I do not want to get into DOOF DOOF comps with the local yobbos. Although the temptation to do something with a loud Bach Organ CD is high.....

Any opinions out there?

Craig,

I'm not sure if your car (later model) is similar to mine with a double din pocket, I think thats the right term, basicly position for two units. mine has the head unit in one and a single CD unit in the other. I too am looking at upgrading, my gear is now 10 years old so I am going to replace the whole system, not cheap but Blaupunkt do a nice head unit combined with a five stack CD that will drop straight in. I like the idea of not having to mess around under seats or have to open the boot to change my music. When I was looking about a month back there was a deal for both units around $750.00 if you bought the units seperatly they were about $650.00 each?? If you want more info I'll dig out the brochures and give you the specs, with decent speakers I think it would give good sound, and no boof...boof...boof
(If your interested in my single CD unit we can talk)

Cheers
Chris

My car had the eurovox with cd changer control, i called peugeot for a stacker and the price was pretty high!! i tried to look for one second hand but nobody has a eurovox! i just ended up getting another deck and stacker, still cheaper than the eurovox stacker alone!

Craig,

Brad's away at present but I'll have a word to him as soon as he returns.
In the meantime, get the back window out (so we can fit the speaker box in) eek! eek!
Rip out the front passengers side seat :rolleyes: Get a battery capable of handling the load - about 6 - 800 cca should do it approve Organize a new alternator (due to the sus electrics on XM's) blush and have an electric hacksaw handy to chop the dash evil Get the door liners off and cut the front bottom half off to save a bit of time (he is very busy you know :p )
Can ya put him up ovanite? The neighbours 'll see him off next day :D

Alan S

AS stated, you will probably pay around $500-600 for a stacker to go into that headunit...hoping some are still around. You will be much better off getting a new single unit or cassette/cd changer. I have sen many reputable brands sellings these for under $500. The internal amp will be far superior than a 10 year old one.

Craig, I had a similar situation with my Pug.
The stock standard head unit is a Eurovox with CD changer control. I decided to remove the Eurovox & install a Sony with 10 stack CD control in the boot.
It's a superb bit 'o' gear but I wouldn't personally go CD now with the advent of MP3's.

If you look at it another way you could purchase an MP3 player with maybe a gig or 2 of space & run a cassette adaptor from the front of the current setup as a temp..or perhaps... use the line inputs already there on the Eurovox (for the stacker's audio), by feeding the MP3 player's audio out into it.
You would have 300-600 songs instead of 180 (most you don't like).
Just a thought.
:D

try a phillips or clarion remove your head unit and compare the plugs if not pioneer or similar do cd changers that will work through the fm channel on your radio

Craig,

I have a CD stacker in my CX (yeah with 'doof, doof, doof') and a CD head unit in the BX. Personaly I wouldn't ever bother with a stacker again. I'd much rather just swap the CD I want to listen to into the head unit rather than crawl into the boot everytime I want to listen to a different CD :p

Having said that you can get CD stackers that'll attach universally to existing sound system. They have there own(small) amplifier/controller that you mount under the front seat, this allows you to control volume/bass/etc and the stacker. It all works by infra red remote. You only touch your existing head unit if you want to listen to tape or tuner. They actualy work really well, my brother had one fitted to his crummydore that was stolen (the whole car that is). Oh yeah, the stacker come with a neat little LCD display that you velcro somewhere to your dash.

These units are good as if you have steering controls ect. for you existing head unit they will still work.

seeya,
Shane L.

with mine i took out the original head unit and replaced it my good ole reliable 10 year old kenwood with 10 stack in the rear
then put an amp in with kicker splits in the front and kenwood 7x10's in the rear with a boof boof bass tube with built in amp
the thing never gets turned up but sounds really nice

Craig,

Pls give Robert / Bruce at P504 @ Forestville a call. 02 9451 5100. Robert was wrecking a 405 STi not long ago and called me to see if I wanted to buy a CD stacker for the Mi16 but I had already put the Alpine CD deck in. Robert said it is a EUROVOX stacker that came as an option on the 405's. As they share parts etc, you maybe in luck.

ALSO! Robert lives in the 'Gong so you would not have to travel far.........am sure he would bring it home for you.

Cheers
Stu G. :D

man where was this when i needed a eurovox stacker!!!
i searched high and low for anyone apartfrom peugeot that sold a eurovox stacker! i even called holden!!

Don't buy a CD stacker get a single CD unit that plays MP3 then you get about 10 CD's on one and its easier to change your music (and Cheaper) They are getting cheaper all the time. Or better still get one with a hard drive in it and keep ALL your music with you never mind 6 or 10 CDs.