Caversham Drivers

Westair

Fellow Frogger
All Caversham drivers are being invited to the Clem Dwyer Memorial Meeting on 27th-28th August.
27th is Regularity-Sun racing.

Phone Charlie Mitchell (Now owner of the TS Special) on 08 9479 4543 business hours or 08 9273 1220 after hours for arrangements for invitation.
Everybody will be given identification tags so you will know who is who. :D

Warren
PS They might even invite journos of the same era :wink2:

Warren did!!!!!
wjm_eh_rothmans_corner.jpg
[/IMG]

ah yes, the EH

I heard a rumour that the Matthews EH was formerly Stan Starcevich's black EH. Any truth? This is a slightly later pic.

Attachments

• matthews.jpg
    matthews.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Terry Walker said:
I heard a rumour that the Matthews EH was formerly Stan Starcevich's black EH. Any truth? This is a slightly later pic.

You are right Terry. I bought it from Arthur Porter who bought it from Les Verco

Warren
Would like to get copy of that pic as can't find another one after I gave that one to you for the book

EH photo

I'll be at Wanneroo for the historics, wandering around like a lost soul. But that pic is one I took myself, I've still got the roll of negs. Glad to let you have a decent print.

Terry Walker said:
I'll be at Wanneroo for the historics, wandering around like a lost soul. But that pic is one I took myself, I've still got the roll of negs. Glad to let you have a decent print.

Thanks Terry- we will be there.

Warren

Caversham Drivers.

I intend being there, putting myself about and big noting. Wilyman will be there too, he'll tell anyone nearby how he was "flat out down the straight in the SIMCA with nothing on the clock but the maker's name". :wink2:

Last edited:
Cavvo, breakfast of champions

I didn't get to Cavvo until about 66. One of my most vivid memories is of a group of guys who had snuck in from the caravan park near Shell Corner, and then ran across the circuit in the middle of the Six Hour, carrying a beer keg with the spear sticking proudly out. Then there were the 'roos. And the driver who DNF'd because he ran over a rabbit, and the little broken bones punctured a tyre. At least two drivers actually hit 'roos in races. They don't make circuits like that any more.

Gordon reckons that there was always a woman with a stroller or pram...

The ground under the trees around the dispersal road was too soft and sandy to push them through, so they just walked along the edge of the track. Between or during races, he says!

Dick Blythe was one who hit a roo, who was the other?

There was, incidentally, a sad BRM story from the days when BRM could do nothing right. Leading the British GP, if I recall correctly, the driver (Harry Schell... Jean Behra... one of them...) pulled into the pits saying it wasn't handling right. They saw nothing wrong, sent him out...

Back in a few laps later, still the same story, this time the bone of the hare he'd hit was sticking up out of the tyre rather than sitting in the tyre down at the bottom where nobody could see it. Lost the lead...

the other 'roo

I heard it was this car in a six hour, not a big bang but a graze. I've never been able to confirm the story.

Attachments

• spencer.jpg
    spencer.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 262
Terry Walker said:
I heard it was this car in a six hour, not a big bang but a graze. I've never been able to confirm the story.

From memory the only one who ever "clipped" a roo was Dick Blythe.
The 250LM probably would have needed a complete rebuild if it had even clipped a roo.

In 14 years of spectating and driving at Caversham there was only about two or three roo incidences that occurred. One was at practice for 1962 GP which was reason for press coverage.

Even if we went up to private weekday practice- which was easy in those days- we always did a couple of slow laps to check for roos and junk on track as anybosy could just drive in- and I nver saw any roos.

'roos

Ah well, there goes another myth: busted.

Never mind; if you are an old Cavvo hand: flaggie, pit crew, racer, or spectator, get along to Barbagallo for the historics. It's got to be good.

Terry Walker said:
Never mind; if you are an old Cavvo hand: flaggie, pit crew, racer, or spectator, get along to Barbagallo for the historics. It's got to be good.

Ah, so the event is at Wanneroo? I thought from the previous posts they had got permission to run around the old Caversham track (which I presumed had been bulldozed long ago).