Catalytic Converter issues Peugeot 406 3.0 V6 Coupe XFX motor

stevecdudley@gm

Tadpole
Hi all,
The good old check engine light is on and the scanner at my mechanics says BOTH catalytic converters need replacing. Its the later V6 (2001 model) and I'm hoping a member has a less expensive solution than the $2000 my mechanic is quoting me.

There are a few exhaust shops that sell 02 sensor trickers that stop the lower sensors seeing the cat inefficiency

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Wouldn't this have a pre-cat on each bank plus a main cat further back. Is it suggesting cat ageing faults on both pre-cats or something else? The main cat can block up and strangle the car, so consider that. You can fit an aftermarket unit for something like $600, but the exhaust note will change a little. The factory part would be best if possible.

Are you using 95 or better fuel???

Unfortunately the cats are no longer available and the pre cats are very 406 specific these are the ones that are monitored

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Wouldn't this have a pre-cat on each bank plus a main cat further back. Is it suggesting cat ageing faults on both pre-cats or something else? The main cat can block up and strangle the car, so consider that. You can fit an aftermarket unit for something like $600, but the exhaust note will change a little. The factory part would be best if possible.

Are you using 95 or better fuel???

According to the mechanic both the pre cats....always use 95 ron but I guess at 170,000ks cats do have a life expiry...wasn't aware there was another cat further down the exhaust so will check that out...thanks

So tricking the sensors....would that not cause engine issues? If there is no sensor on the main cat maybe an aftermarket or performance replacement (I've read the cats strangle a bit of performance from the XFX motor) Any clues on where to get the precats at a fair price?

There are aftermarket options but sometimes those will still give you the inefficiency codes anyway pm me for more info, the downstream sensor only checks the cats and doesn’t change fuel trims. A front and rear cat is around 1000 delivered ,genuine when you could buy them about 2k each

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE