Cat removal

davemarsh

Tadpole
Not legal in some countries I know. However, IF you could remove a cat off a 1.8l 16v Cit/Pug, do you think it would improve torque, horsepower and/or driveability? I would love to get some more torque in the lower rev range. However, I'm a bit nervous about the backpressure issue.

davemarsh said:
Not legal in some countries I know. However, IF you could remove a cat off a 1.8l 16v Cit/Pug, do you think it would improve torque, horsepower and/or driveability?

In a word; NO.

Alan S :nownow: :nownow:

You could make many more improvements to the exhaust system and continue to use an effective pollution control system. There are better places to waste your money on, (re-map/soft wear, go faster fuzzy dice). And as Alan said, "NO" ditching the cat will not make the slightest difference on an otherwise STD system

If and when the system needs changing, then consult with the experts as to what legal mods there are to choose from.
Until such time leave puss alone...... :nownow:

I have heard about people doing this and get a few extra kw but nothing to bother with or attempt to do.
Its illegal in Australia i think if police catch you doing it or they have the resources to police it....:nownow:

Pollution Convolution

This whole pollution control thing in new cars is rubbish. Firstly the added benzene in unleaded is as if not more carcenigic as lead is damaging to kids brains, added to which the cat converter doesnt start working until it reaches optimum temp ie 10 to 15 k travel in normal suburban traffic, also as the cars motor gets a little tired ie not in perfect tune and some oil burn cat becomes even less efficient to the point of not working ie all covered with muck . Only thing a cat is good at is acting as a reasonable middle silencer until you hit a few rocks etc then it acts as a rattley reminder not to fall asleep on long trips. ' Well I'm glad I got that of my chest I feel a lot better now thank god for pre '89 motor cars' :eek:

danielsydney said:
I have heard about people doing this and get a few extra kw but nothing to bother with or attempt to do.
Its illegal in Australia i think if police catch you doing it or they have the resources to police it....:nownow:

Just Love your avatar daniel.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cool: :cool:

ARCHRIVAL said:
Well I'm glad I got that of my chest I feel a lot better now thank god for pre '89 motor cars' :eek:

I agree with all the stuff about benzene etc.

However, I think you mean pre '85 cars.:tongue:

davemarsh said:
Not legal in some countries I know. However, IF you could remove a cat off a 1.8l 16v Cit/Pug, do you think it would improve torque, horsepower and/or driveability? I would love to get some more torque in the lower rev range. However, I'm a bit nervous about the backpressure issue.
.. as Alan said NO, not for tourque down low. As a general rule back pressure helps keep exhaust speed up which is needed for tourque. We removed the cat from a 2lt sss pulsar (my old car) and it made less than 1Kw at the wheels different. So not really worth it. Its better to concentrate on exhaust speed rather than the catalist restrictions.
On turbo cars this is generally not the rule, but your car isn't... . - Chris