Caravelle 1964 parts query

Howfrie

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello, Can anyone tell me the part number for a front wheel bearing for a '64 Caravelle? Or advise me where to purchase one.

Hi Howfrie,

I can't advise the part number but I'd imagine they would be the same as an R10 which would broaden the search considerably. The R10 folk will be along later after they've finished playing golf, sipping latees and taking selfies.

Thanks Graham
I'm a newbie. Car is with a mechanic who, I think, regards it as a headache. I'm just trying to make it easier for all parties.

I think that the bearings for an R1133 are different to R1131. Also the inner bearing may be hard to find in Australia and may need to be ordered from France or Germany. Check that the car is an R1133 first.

These are the SKF bearing numbers off a Canadian website.
I assume they are correct.

20231216_141907.jpg
20231216_141933.jpg

This is another pre/post 68 thing. Pre 68 cars have a 19mm spindle and both bearings are common and easy to get from a bearing suppliers from the numbers on them. Post 68 cars are 21mm and the inner is a special, so you are better to use a dedicated kit . Problem with going to the bearing shop is you will not get a new inner seal, but as long as you are careful when dissmantling you should be fine. Best place to start is to take the hub spout off and measure the axle spindle at the inner bearing end, just incase it has been changed, early ones were prone to bending, so they were enlarged.

Thanks for this everyone who replied. Most helpful. Have passed it all on to the mechanic. Let's see what happens.

Thanks for this everyone who replied. Most helpful. Have passed it all on to the mechanic. Let's see what happens.
Southern bearings in Abotsford are pretty good on old Renault bearings

With any luck you are after 30203 and 30204. The last ones I bought were readily available from a standard bearing supplier in Perth (maybe 4 years ago, as spares for a long trip) and they cost around $10-20 each. If for some reason you need the later type of inner bearing, it is an overseas purchase. I do know of one mechanic who machines up a spacer for the inner bearing so he can use a standard one. The factory bearing has an integrated inner spacer. With a 1964 car, you never know what earlier owners have done - it might even have later stub axles!

With a lathe the integrated spacer could be cut from the old bearing and then a standard bearing would fit.

I'm not quite sure why it isn't done more often! Maybe it is...
Machining hardened steel in a lathe is extremely difficult
Grinding would be better
One of many

Walked in to Southern Bearings and told them: I’ve just bought a ridiculous car. The response: Is it an old Renault?
Aahh..
I now have the bearings as suggested by this forum. Fingers crossed they’re the correct ones.
Don't overtighten them. It isn't a modern FWD device. :)