Car Jack Stands for support under sill panel.

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone any experience with this style of blocks to fit jack stands under the sill panels?
Seem to be a few around on eBay but haven't found any through the usual retail outlets. Is it possible they are not meeting a regulation requirement so the bigger retailers don't carry them?

Jacking blocks.jpg

I tried making a set with steel tube with a slot down the middle, but I would need heavier gauge, they were probably 2mm steel tube.
Having used my home made ones, they were only suitable for straight jack stand support, not for jacking one side due to the tilt angle, I can see that is why these bought ones mostly have the vee shape sill groove. Also they all seem to be hard rubber, not metal, maybe for a bit of flex.

Anyone seen these at a reputable retailer?
Or a good alternative for supporting on the sill seams?

Cheers.

You could just put a piece of rubber between the sill and and metal stand. A piece of rubber from an old tyre sidewall would be more robust than a lot of other pieces of rubber.

Years ago when my son was cutting firewood, he had a few hardwood blocks he could not split and left them behind. Later I took them and cut them roughly into rectangle 'cubes' of three different dimensions, say 'about' 6"x 8"x 10" or thereabouts depending. Made four of them, not exactly even seeing as they were cut with a chain saw. That was 30+ years ago and they are still usable, sit around outside, a bit weathered on some faces and lost a bit of wood but still useable, I put pieces of 2x4 bits of softwood on them if needed. Cut them as necessary to fit.

I do not have a patent on the design so go ahead and make a couple. :cool: They are very stable supports. Hey a lot of bought stands are too high for normal work anyway and I leave them in the shed.
Jaahn
PS I have an old piece of conveyor belt I acquired years ago too. It is about 3/4" thick and has multi plies and is indestructable. I cut pieces off that with a hacksaw to use for odd things. They might suit to fit your stands. Or you might find a thrown truck retread on the side of the highway. They are tough sh*t rubber.

Last edited:
Has anyone any experience with this style of blocks to fit jack stands under the sill panels?
Seem to be a few around on eBay but haven't found any through the usual retail outlets. Is it possible they are not meeting a regulation requirement so the bigger retailers don't carry them?

View attachment 206561

I tried making a set with steel tube with a slot down the middle, but I would need heavier gauge, they were probably 2mm steel tube.
Having used my home made ones, they were only suitable for straight jack stand support, not for jacking one side due to the tilt angle, I can see that is why these bought ones mostly have the vee shape sill groove. Also they all seem to be hard rubber, not metal, maybe for a bit of flex.

Anyone seen these at a reputable retailer?
Or a good alternative for supporting on the sill seams?

Cheers.

I need them for the traction! Are you trying to jack up a citroen light 15 ??

My 30+ year old hardwood blocks in use currently with extra wood blocks, two under a Fiat 500. They are not so flat on some sides/ends now from sitting around on the ground ! If I was younger I would trim them but will not be doing much of this after this. Hmm that is the plan ! I am not sure where the 4th one is just now (n)
Jaahn

20220628_111903r (2).jpg
20220628_111936r (2).jpg
20220628_112044r (2).jpg