Cams bans fast cars

It's Ok Bowie, don't panic, you can still race your fast Porsche on a race track, use the slow one for rallying.

On Monday I will leave the Porsche in the shed and drive the R8 G in the RCCA track day at Sydney Motorsport Park.

Last edited:
Some Tesla fans will be upset they didn't make the "too fast" list.🤔
Or are EVs ineligible?

Recon competitors will be able to launch protests re kw/kg at evo's and golf's they see idling away..

"He beat me in the last stage, his car must be too fast! TAKE HIM TO THE DYNO!"

Someone needs to re edit their documents too, this is a little silly listing the same car, two or three or four times.

• Camaro ZL1
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
  • Daytona Coupe
  • Dodge Viper ACR
  • Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
  • Lamborghini Huracan
  • Lotus Exige Sport 350
  • Lotus Exige Sport 410
  • Lotus Exige TARGA GT
  • Mercedes Benz GT-R
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Nissan GTR R35
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Porsche GT3 RS 996
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S
  • Porsche GT3 997
  • Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 997
  • Porsche GT3 991
  • Porsche GT3 RS 991
  • Porsche Cayman GT4
  • Porsche GT2 RS 991
  • Porsche GT2 RS 991
  • Porsche GT3 RS 991
  • Ultima RS

I'm getting Monty Python holy hand grenade vibes...

"You shall not drive a Porsche GT2 RS 991, Nor shall you drive it, note once. Not after once, nor before the twice which happens after the once, should you have twice the car."

"Shall you arrive with a Nissan R35 of which it is a GTR, this shall also not be driven by one once, twice, thrice, nor not the forth. That is certianly after once and thus not ok"..

This is all because a few people have been killed doing what they love doing (motor sport).

There was talk of not having Targa Tas because of the last two people killed doing what they love.

I suppose this is what they have come up with as a compromise so we can still do tarmac rallies, but in slower cars.

Every one that enters these events knows what the risks and that motor sport is dangerous.

"You shall not drive a Porsche GT2 RS 991, Nor shall you drive it, note once. Not after once, nor before the twice which happens after the once, should you have twice the car."

"Shall you arrive with a Nissan R35 of which it is a GTR, this shall also not be driven by one once, twice, thrice, nor not the forth. That is certianly after once and thus not ok"..
Cardinal Biggles!

GET THE COMFY CHAIR!!!

1692928688484.jpeg

Someone needs to re edit their documents too, this is a little silly listing the same car, two or three or four times.

• Camaro ZL1
  • Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
  • Daytona Coupe
  • Dodge Viper ACR
  • Lamborghini Huracan
  • Lotus Exige Sport 350
  • Lotus Exige Sport 410
  • Lotus Exige TARGA GT
  • Mercedes Benz GT-R
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Nissan GTR R35
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Nissan GT-R R35
  • Porsche GT3 RS 996
  • Porsche 911 Turbo S
  • Porsche GT3 997
  • Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 997
  • Porsche GT3 991
  • Porsche GT3 RS 991
  • Porsche Cayman GT4
  • Porsche GT2 RS 991
  • Porsche GT2 RS 991
  • Porsche GT3 RS 991
  • Ultima RS

I'm just happy the Reliant isn't on there, even once.😉

This is all because a few people have been killed doing what they love doing (motor sport).

There was talk of not having Targa Tas because of the last two people killed doing what they love.

I suppose this is what they have come up with as a compromise so we can still do tarmac rallies, but in slower cars.

Every one that enters these events knows what the risks and that motor sport is dangerous.
🍿 is the elephant in the room the age of the drivers killed??

🍿 is the elephant in the room the age of the drivers killed??
You could have a point - a minor point but still a point.

Cashed up oldies living the youth they never had and maybe without the reflexes they used to have. Fast car, slow reactions, too much speed - hello scenery...

Interesting that AASA has taken on Tarmac Rally. When the AASA was created, the main reason was to offer a more affordable race Permit option for circuit events at permanent race tracks. The CAMS insurance was very expensive due to the number of fatalities from Rallying effecting the premium. AASA, did not cover Rallies and was able to offer a cheaper permit to permanent race tracks at the time. They can probably offer cover for Targa events due to their relatively good claims history at this point in time.
I agree with Col regarding the age factor. Over the years I failed a few OLT (Observed Licence Test) applicants who wanted a licence to compete in Targa Tas. I often found some who were full of enthusiasm but grossly lacking basic car control skills, little or no experience, very fast cars requiring a high degree of skill for a tarmac rally with changeable road surfaces and conditions. They came in all ages.
I guess its easier for MA to set come engineering controls to regulate the cars as part of their risk management process in addition to tougher licencing standards.

I went through the Australian Motorsport memorial page and noted the ages of participants that have died in targa, rally and safari type events.
Overwhelmingly the highest age demographic of fatalities in these events fall into the 32 to 42 years of age bracket.
Other than the recent Tasmanian deaths there were only 3 others recorded in the 60 to 71 year old bracket, one of them being the late, great, Peter Brock.
There were a handful noted in their later 40s and 50s, and only 2 recorded under the age of 32.
These statistics were only for Australian nationals killed in Australian events of the type noted.
Obviously there would most likely be some non-Australian citizens also killed in Australian events, but I would have to go through dozens of pages to gather those statistics.

Reactions: COL
The reactions are largely related to anticipation, experience and muscle memory. There are guys in their late 70's and early 80's competing in high level motorsport, winning races in Historic classes including Le Mans sports cars capable of lap times much faster than our V8 Supercars.
I have failed guys in their late 20's who have been dangerous due to lack of feeling for what the car is doing and/or lack of reaction to imminent crash. Even intervened in situations where they have "Frozen" at the wheel.

The main issue for (we) tarmac rally participants is that for Targa 165 and Targa 200 categories an international rally licence is required at the princely sum of $1200...but there's more - both drivers and co-drivers are required to do a 2 day driving and/or navigating course and that's another $800...and the hypothetical question was asked of MA - if Neal Bates or Rob Herridge want to do Targa events (eg Tas) would they also have to do the driving courses....and the answer was YES!!
And furthermore, MA have been unwilling to clarify various requirements for tarmac rallies when asked by organisers.
So in WA, Targa West has been re-named Tarmac West and will operate under AASA rules and insurance...and I believe that Adelaide has done the same.
Bottom line seems to be that MA are happy to wash their hands of tarmac events.

You could have a point - a minor point but still a point.

Cashed up oldies living the youth they never had and maybe without the reflexes they used to have. Fast car, slow reactions, too much speed - hello scenery...
Its not just cashed up oldies trying to relive their youth.

When Targa Tas first started back in 1992 there was a lot of Ferraris and Porches entered, usually business people that had the money but limited talent, you could tell by the way the car was being driven compared to the professional drivers that had entered like the Richards, Brocks, Longhursts etc.

Tarmac rallies are not cheap motor sport, the cars are expensive with the safety features needed and also the entry fee is in the thousands. You could run a club car at you local track for a year the entry fee.

I'm not sure about other tarmac rallies in Australia are like but Targa Tas is not the same as it was 30 years ago, it seams to have lost its appeal that it had (to me anyway) not sure what it is, maybe the diminishing field of older vehicles.