Cams and lowering 505 wagon

John black

Fellow Frogger
ok does any out there no how to make the 505 2lt sli wagon produce a little more torque it tows my race car extremely well but i am after just a little more pulling power for those long hills
if only it pulled like my old 504 ti
would a cam shaft change help?
should i change the exhaust system to the large bore gti style?
also has any ever lowered the 505 wagon?
if so were did you get the springs made?
i would like to lower it further than the gti wagon but still have some ride quality left also being able to hook the tandem and race car on without having it kneal down at the rear
hope some one can help
john

John,

Try contacting Wade Camshafts. They are usually very helpful and have many diffrent cam grinds for the Peugeot 504/505 2 litre from mild to wild. The Wade 112 grind I have in my 504 works well with excellent low don torque although with what you're doing, you'd probably want even more. I have one low compression engine with a "turbo" grind camshaft which has an incredible amount of low down torque (good for turbo cars), although it runs out of puff at about 4500rpm. Such a "turbo" cam might work well for towing. I found that the car pulled another 504 up a steep slope without a hint of a struggle. It is also possible to get a "towing" cam for some vehicles. Wade's contact details are:

Wade Camshafts Pty. Ltd.
113 Dryburgh St
North Melbourne
VIC 3051
AUSTRALIA
PH: 03 9328 4001
FAX: 03 9329 8318

A little bit of smoothing just before the valve seats should also help. Check out this page on my website for head cross sections and an idea of where an wear not to smooth things out or enlarge things:
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/pushrodengviews.html" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/davemcbean/pushrodengviews.html</a>

Regards,
Dave

John,

K-mac in Sydney do different springs for 504s/505s for about $200 a set. Their springs have been known to sag a bit though. Their website is:

<a href="http://www.k-mac.com.au/" target="_blank">http://www.k-mac.com.au/</a>

King's Springs in Sydney are supposed to be better. I'd probably go for 505 GTi spec front springs (around 85lbs per inch) and custom rear springs. Either a GTi front swaybar (27mm) or a K-mac 27mm front bar (approx $200) work well. I'm not sure if K-mac have the pattern for the 505 bar, but their 504 bar should fit with a little work. They can also do a 28.5mm front swaybar (I wouldn't go any larger than that on a road going 505).

Regards,
Dave

John,

For long steep hills approached at 3500-5000rpm, a TI cam or the Wade 112 grind would definitely be better than my "turbo" cam, but the turbo cam would probably be a little better below 2000rpm, especially if your car is an auto (as SLi wagons generally are).

The 112 cam will cause your valves to hit the pistons if the head has been shaved by much more than 0.5mm. The stock head is 92.5mm thick.

Dave

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="3" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by John black:
<strong>..... also being able to hook the tandem and race car on without having it kneal down at the rear
hope some one can help
john</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="3" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi John,

Just a thought, but to attain an appropriate tow bar height wouldn't it be easy to simply change the gooseneck on the tow bar? Some people just swap them to upside down too.

(Having just come back from some fairly wild bush roads in East Gippsland I must confess I'm in favour of keeping every centimetre of the generous ground clearance that the 505 wagon offers - I'd have to get the driveway graded more often if I did too ;-) ) Never did like messing with Peugeot springs etc - always seems to kill the great progressivity that the originals have to offer.

Have you though about simply fitting some lower profile tyres, if you can find some that will fit?

Haven't got any easy answers for the power increase I'm afraid. How well is it running generally? Blocked cats and faulty emission control systems can chew up quite a few horses on sLi's without it being very obviuous too.

There would always be the V6 engine swap option I guess, if you feel like getting serious about the power issue. From memory, the late model US wagons were fitted with the V6.

Cheers

Rod