C5 X7 Tailgate Struts

BruteForce

Tadpole
Tadpole
Wondering if anyone has replaced the struts and cables that open the tailgate on a X7 tourer?
If so, any assistance finding parts and/or anyone that could recondition them?
If not, perhaps they can be converted to ordinary gas struts and manual lift?

Drivers side the cable has broken, both sides the strut comes away from the ball joints at the top.

Any ideas or assistance would be much appreciated.

Wondering if anyone has replaced the struts and cables that open the tailgate on a X7 tourer?

Drivers side the cable has broken, both sides the strut comes away from the ball joints at the top.

I have a 2009 Tourer, which has two struts of course, but doesn’t have cables to open the tailgate.
I recently replaced both the tailgate struts, because it wouldn’t hold the tailgate open.
I purchased two, but when removing both of the old ones, one was still “strong” and good enough to use, but the other one was very “weak”.

I purchased them in November 2023 from,
eai European Auto Imports
Part No C8731R6 Tailgate Strut C5 (X7) Wagon Qty 2. Total $79.20 (that’s for 2, not each)

321 Middleborough Road
Box Hill VIC 3128
Ph (03) 9889 6683

Unit 3/10 Pioneer Ave
Thornleigh NSW 2120
Ph (02) 9481 8400

All the Best
David

Bruteforce,

Does your car have an electric tailgate? My C5X7 Tourer is like Davids and I think only has struts.

Ken

Well it seems they are available at around $450 a piece from England.
They say about a week lead time and around $100 air freight.

I only have 1 broken at present - any thoughts on just replacing the 1, or should I get them both?
Appreciate your thoughts and/or experience.
Thanks,
Bernie

Apologies...only just came across this post.

Yes I have recently had the conversion to manual lift (Feb 23) . Drivers side strut detached at the top ball pivot. I priced electric struts at $620 each, wasn't sure if both needed replacing. but before spending that amount had the local StrutReGas guy measure & quote...fitted cost $220. After saving approx. $1000 I do not miss the motorised lift. There's some trial & error getting the lift gas pressure right, gas can be added but no removed. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jesse

Last edited:
I also removed the motor from within the tailgate when removing the struts & cables. this was the most laborius part of the conversion.
Had professional help doing this.

Apologies...only just came across this post.

Yes I have recently had the conversion to manual lift (Feb 23) . Drivers side strut detached at the top ball pivot. I priced electric struts at $620 each, wasn't sure if both needed replacing. but before spending that amount had the local StrutReGas guy measure & quote...fitted cost $220. After saving approx. $1000 I do not miss the motorised lift. There's some trial & error getting the lift gas pressure right, gas can be added but no removed. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jesse
Thanks Jesse,
I was concerned that not having the electric lift would adversely affect the computers somehow, so I ended up ordering new struts and ball joint for both sides from England, still waiting for them to arrive.
Though if I'd had your info I would have done the same as you - oh well - live and learn :confused:
Cost including freight was approx $1100 However i think that seeing as the originals lasted 12 years, I should get another 12 out of these if they are treated right.
I believe the only reason these failed is that due to a low voltage battery they stopped working, whereupon someone forced the tailgate closed and damaged the strut in the process.
Yes, a costly exercise, but for such a nice car I can bear it???

Cheers,
Bernie