C5 rear arm troubles

AntonD

Fellow Frogger
I have noticed for a while now that the rear wheels on my 2007 C5 appear to be angled inwards. Left side worse than the right. There has been noise coming from the rear also for a while when going over rough roads. I also have an issue with steering in that it pulls to the left.
I now think all these issues are related, and that the problem is either bent suspension arms or arm bearings needing replacement.
Its probably the bearings which would account for the noise and also I can't imagine the arms would bend very easily.
Car has done 315k which seems to be the time when rear arm bearings could need replacement.
Any ideas out there before I go pulling things apart?

The bearings do wear out and the rear wheels then angle in. A very common issue and if you ignore it, the damage eventually makes it hard to remove the bolt and can cut into the alloy casting. There are kits readily available to replace the bearings and related parts. The bearings are the same as for CX, BX, Xantia, XM and readily available, but some of the minor parts are different in the C5. You should eliminate that issue before wasting money on an alignment. Probably not bent parts. At the front, it is common for the LCA bushes to wear out and then it will wander above town speeds and can even pull one way or randomly wander when moving off from rest. I've driven a couple of old C5s like that and it's rather like helming a boat.

Thanks for that David. I'll replace the bearings first off.
I'm friends with your brother James and he has shown me some shots of your DS. Very nice.

A fiddly but reasonably easy repair, but given your description of the problem and the number of kms you may find it easier and more cost effective to buy a repair kit which contains all the parts. Also the bearings should have preload and there is a shim pack available with a selection of shims for this.

Thanks Hydrac for the tip. I bought 2 kits with all the bits from the UK. Will be doing the job tomorrow.