C5 2.2 diesel to Qld and back

tom currie

Fellow Frogger
Just returned from 2,300 km trip to Queensland and back, via the Putty Road and New England Highway, in our 2.2 HDi C5. Av consumption was 6.7 l/100km including city driving in Toowoomba and Brisbane. Best on one stretch was 5.5 l/100km. This compares with 8.8 l/100km in a C5 V6 on a similar trip in May. The car was a joy to drive and it was great passing service stations without the need to fill up, and I think the economy will improve with more kilometers on the clock. No rattles, squeaks, moans or groans from either car or driver!

Tom

tom currie said:
Just returned from 2,300 km trip to Queensland and back, via the Putty Road and New England Highway, in our 2.2 HDi C5. Av consumption was 6.7 l/100km including city driving in Toowoomba and Brisbane. Best on one stretch was 5.5 l/100km. This compares with 8.8 l/100km in a C5 V6 on a similar trip in May. The car was a joy to drive and it was great passing service stations without the need to fill up, and I think the economy will improve with more kilometers on the clock. No rattles, squeaks, moans or groans from either car or driver!

Tom

Well done Tom! I'd be struggling to match that figure with my petrol C2! Hopefully we'll get to show off our new vehicles before too long - even if it's at one of the events from that other car club!

Tony.

So Tony, care to share your 2000tc tips and disasters?

ed ge

My ole da' did that once and I had to tidy up.

edgedweller said:
So Tony, care to share your 2000tc tips and disasters?

ed ge

I've really enjoyed having the TC. It was a lifelong goal to own one - Dad ended up with four dying in the back yard while I was growing up. From the age of 5 I listened to him saying how he was "gunna" do this and that with them. Never happened.

The biggest "tip" would be buy a good one (as with most classics). They're complex cars and and labour adds up if you get it done while the temper adds up if you do it yourself! (I'm saying all this to Citroen people! :rolleyes: )

They ride and handle beautifully and a pre-seventies/Leyland one still feels like a quality car (i.e nice fittings; feels very solid; squeaks and rattles rare).

Performance is leisurely in a straight line. The oldies will tell you how quick these cars are but for those of us with benchmarks from the eighties and nineties this just isn't the case. The V8 is a different story I'm told.

Disasters? Christmas 2003, Sydney. 38+deg heat in the west. Went fine from the Southern Highlands but the temp just kept creeping up as we headed for the northern suburbs. Ended up stranded twice with alleged "Vapour-lock". Both times were with no shade and we were due at the rellies for Xmas dinner - never got there.

I won't go on (respect for the French Car site, etc) but thanks for the interest!:cheers:

2000tc

My Dad's dream car, the engineer's car, he called it.

So the old fool (rip) blew it up trying to get the imperial ton from the old girl on the way to a jazz weekend in Mildura, he never got there either.

Managed to get it towed home, promptly took the head off and never did another thing. About five years later I said,"come on Dad we'll get your car back together", silly me.

So we pulled the motor, stripped it, complete right off. Found the local rover wrecker who quoted $600 for single carb motor or, strangely I thought, $800 for the entire car, What do you do? Had the other car towed over, much excitement only to find, not put twin carbies on single carby head, very impressed I was.

Oh but the TC head was ok so swappo, chango, by the way he says the gearbox not too good, ok swappo, chango says I and yes eventually the
de dion and diff got swappo too.

So there I had been used to mucking around with my 403 (that's french for EH Holden) simplicity and ended up doing a drive train swap on the bloody engineer's car.

Throughout all this the old man's getting crooker and paler and more vague by the day, sent him to his GP, he was so crook they admitted him to Repat., gave him a litre of blood and a bunch of drugs and he never came out alone again, alzheimers got 'im.

He loved to go for rides in the car, but he never knew what was happening.

Oh well.

I drove the car for 18 months, my personal choice if I was ever going to have an accident and it sure put the saloon in car, never tried for the ton and my sister pinched it when she returned from overseas, never heard how it went or what hapened to it.

And that shit head Ken what's his name (self appointed local Rover guru) said "if you want to fix that Rover bring your tool box over and I'l weld it shut for you", so what did he know?

ed ge

twin su's can lead to divorce.

good luck with the gearbox

Last edited:
tom currie said:

Tom
Congratulations. With your figures I've calculated the following based on the cheapest PULP and Diesel available in Brissy today (http://motormouth.com.au/pricesearch.aspx?Region=Brisbane)

2,300k at 6.7L/100 = 154.1L at 119.5cpl = $184.15 (diesel)
2,300k at 8.8L/100 = 202.4L at 111.5cpl = $225.68 (pulp)

So for you trip in your new car you saved $41.53, however in regional areas the price of PULP isn't discounted to the same degree (if at all) as it is in the city so the saving would increase...

2,300k at 6.7L/100 = 154.1L at 119.5cpl = $184.15 (diesel)
2,300k at 8.8L/100 = 202.4L at 119.5cpl = $241.87 (pulp)

... to $57.72.

If only diesel was cheaper than petrol (like Europe) then we'd all be driving them.