C4 Opinions

danielsydney said:
The C3 has a footrest whats going on with the C4. :confused:

Neither does the 307, I thought. I'm mystified by this, however in LHD form there is one. Seems strange they just "forgot about it" for the RHD market :confused:

SLC206 said:
Neither does the 307, I thought. I'm mystified by this, however in LHD form there is one. Seems strange they just "forgot about it" for the RHD market :confused:

They also halve the size of the 307's glovebox for RHD - there's a fusebox in there, that you don't have in the LHD version.

I guess the French haven't learnt to love the English :)

SLC206 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they just "forgot about it", they forget to move the keyhole in the RHD from the LHD....

It's really dodgy.... even Hyundai wouldn't make such dodgy mistakes. :nownow:

Yes, the glovebox is too small, basically useless in RHD.

Uga Boga said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they just "forgot about it", they forget to move the keyhole in the RHD from the LHD....

Nah, that's just a Citroen thing :D

SLC206 said:

Perhaps they did not want a squishy pedal layout like the 206.

Troy.

Uga Boga said:
how it fares with ownership? Boring... just useful for getting from point a to b...

The driving is really BLAND... that's why i was looking for a way to get some more power into it.. :cry:

Shame to hear this. I love the look of the C4 and the ad is cute. I've been driving rentals a fair bit lately, mostly Toyotas. They were comfortable and economical but a good cure for insomnia. Which is why when it came time to buy I found myself looking at 80's cars.

Modern cars are like modern tomatoes. All nice and shiny but no taste. :(

Well, it is a family hatchback, probably couldn't expect anything more when it comes to the driving.

But it definitely turns heads for a family hatchback, it's funny watching people behind me at the lights discussing the LCD speedo :D

I kind of puzzles me why they bothered with a "VTS" sports version if they couldn't make the performance sprightly enough. I can understand the weight of the car being the primary cause for this, but why not fit a larger engine - or something?
It would be cool to see a very french low pressure turbo attached though - should be enough to make up for having to push that 180 engine so hard. Then :drivin: would be more fun :D
I wonder what the future has in store for us C4 admirers?
:cheers:

Yes... Citroen's trend with low performance, small-engined cars is quite annoying...

THey have to learn from Renault, the French were the pioneers of performance vehicles, especially turbo'ed ones!

I'm sure a VTS is a lot more spirited than Uga's 100kw Auto. Would still be a great car, i'd live with one, but wouldn't complain if it lost some weight or gained a turbo.

Uga - If you want more performance buy a VTS, I honestly don't understand buying a 100kw version when there is already a 130kw version and then complaining about 100kw not being enough power.

Dave

Actually, i finally got a response to my enquiries at several performance workshops for a low boost turbo (i'm so excited, i'm really contemplating going ahead with this):

(I won't post the full reply and all the details, but they know it's an auto C4 etc...)

There are always a number of ways to increase the power form a vehicle depending on your desired results and the budget you wish to spend. A low boost turbo charger installation is more than likely possible however we will need to inspect the vehicle and confirm everything will fit. Once we have seen the car I can give you an approximate price to carry out the work but as a guide it will be somewhere around $8'000 - $15'000 for a reliable entry level package supplied installed and dyno tuned.

15K for probably the first turbo C4 2.0L Exclusive in the world? I'm tempted!

The reviews of the VTS haven't been that positive. It has been slammed for having no torque down low, and then you have to deal with the imprecise manual gearbox when rowing through the gears trying to get to the power. Don't forget that the engine was designed for the 206 GTI180.

The UK mags tend to say that the best engine for the C4 is the 2L HDI.

Uga Boga said:
Actually, i finally got a response to my enquiries at several performance workshops for a low boost turbo (i'm so excited, i'm really contemplating going ahead with this):

(I won't post the full reply and all the details, but they know it's an auto C4 etc...)

15K for probably the first turbo C4 2.0L Exclusive in the world? I'm tempted!
Quicker than waiting for a Golf GTi I suppose :)

hehehe.

15k for a low boost turbo does seem over the top, it's alot cheaper with the Jap cars.

I think i'll just stick to the new plan of modding the Vitesse 827 :crazy:

One day, maybe... Citroen will decide to create a tad bit more "powerful" vehicles.

mantra said:
Well, it depends whether you want best in class or something that looks and makes you feel good. Neither is the wrong choice.

There are no real duds made anymore... but some cars are quantifiably better to drive.

For the price the mid spec Focus LX/Mazda 3 looks like extremely good value.
Just tried a Golf 1.6. Went to exclude it from the equation because the press have raved about it.

It is a seriously excellent car. For $25,490 it has 8 airbags, 4 wheel discs, ABS/EBD, Traction control, semi-auto air. The interior is rather grey and the whole design very unadventurous. It may not ride small bumps quite as supply as the C4, but it has superb damping (none of that bouncing along feeling of previous Golfs). Its a bit quieter than the C4 I tried, just as quick (felt quicker), the engine is smoother and the car feels so solid. It handles just as well as the C4 - feels sharper and rolls less but has a similarly pleasant balance, nicer steering too IMHO. Clutch and gearbox are even slicker than C4.

Shame about the character bypass - if only PSA could match the build quality of VW....

Uga Boga said:
hehehe.

15k for a low boost turbo does seem over the top, it's alot cheaper with the Jap cars.

I think i'll just stick to the new plan of modding the Vitesse 827 :crazy:

One day, maybe... Citroen will decide to create a tad bit more "powerful" vehicles.

Just find a decent CX2500 GTi Turbo ... Not only will you have a quickish car (they are *not* fast, not compared to a lot of the current hot hatches ... eg: wrx, megane sport, etc...). You'll also have a *real* Citroen to drive :D ... You'll never go back to the modern tedious boring car :dance: :dance: :dance:

$15,000 would buy a *very* nice CX GTi Turbo that would be worth something in the future. A turbo'd C4 would be probably worth LESS :eek: :eek: After you have spent those $$$ on it.

seeya,
Shane L.

I agree totally shane

All these techno freaks throwing their money away on depreciating toys just to prop up the deficit. You can’t get left behind if you’re not trying to keep up:rolleyes:

i've had my C4 for 3 - 4 days now and just done under 400kms
the ONLY thing that is getting on my nerves is fuel consumption...
its absolutely terrible and uga can vouch for this
even though all the brochures and review sites say 8 - 10l/100km the lowest ive ever seen is 12.6 which is absolutely terrible + i have to drive like a granny to get that...
im not sure if its a citroen fault that both me and uga have got concidentally, however, im going to find out how a little 2l can be so thirsty....if i have the aircon on and give it a bit of go it can get up to 15l/100km....wtf?!
personally i think the power is more than enough for a car of its class....its a great all rounder car and i think the handling is really sharp (however, the steering does seem to fight back at times)

the gearbox i think is partial to blame for the horrific fuel uneconomy....it seems to stay in 2nd gear too long under normal driving hence bringing the revs up to 4 - 4.5k before JOLTING to 3rd...
also it seems to jump to 4th too quickly for no discernible reason....it really doesnt seem to know what its doing....on a few occasions when im going up ramps at parking lots at very low speeds, the gearbox will give a violent jerk and a loud thump as though uve just changed gears without a clutch--strange

my only gripe up to now is the fuel consumption....i can't REALLY complain about anything else although i can name a few...but then again, every car has its positives and negatives so some things u just gotta accept:
*cough* tornado sounding aircon fan, engine heat build up, ESP button that doesnt do what you want it to do, incorrect outside temp readings, weird engine whistling noises and small general interior rattles *un-cough*

hahaha yes!! You have the same problem with ESP, i can't seem to turn it off, after 15secs of going off, it comes back on!!

Potential owner

I agree with all the comments
The lack of foot rest is interesting at least there is space beside the clutch which isnt there on the 307. I kinda figured they didnt want to spent the money which is silly I am surprised haow many cars dont have foot rests and they loose sales due to it.
Some in the aftermarket game want to make some?
I also agree with the Wheels comment It thumps over small rutts and totally ignores deep bumps. Strange this is a shock valving issue the high speed valves are to tight and the low speed are just right. Typical suspension compromise.
I have tested both the 1.6 C4 and the Mazda3 2 ltr and the the C4 feels more responsive and quieter.
For me the pick is the 1.6 HDI in the C4 although not "available" till January
when the new Desiel regs (50 / mil parts sulphur) takes effect.
All the reading I have done makes it a better car than the 2ltr C4.