C4 Opinions

AU-YT said:
I agree with all the comments
The lack of foot rest is interesting at least there is space beside the clutch which isnt there on the 307. I kinda figured they didnt want to spent the money which is silly I am surprised haow many cars dont have foot rests and they loose sales due to it.

Maybe there is enough room for a footrest, but not enough for it not to be a hindrance to the driver. Like the 206, there is enough room for a footrest, but frankly it could do without it. It sometimes gets in way of my left foot.

Cost wouldn't be an issue. All it has to be is a piece of foam under the carpet. That is all it is in the 206.

AU-YT said:
For me the pick is the 1.6 HDI in the C4 although not "available" till January
when the new Desiel regs (50 / mil parts sulphur) takes effect.
All the reading I have done makes it a better car than the 2ltr C4.

No reason why the 1.6L HDi can't be here now. It's available in the 307. Still I'm looking forward to checkng it out. A lack of manual transmission is the reason why I didn't consider buying the C4 2L 5 door.

Troy.

Attachments

• footrest.jpg
    footrest.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Golf update: this time driven more enthusiastically and back to back with Xantia over same roads. Cancel previous opinion on chassis. The ride is good enough, but handling only to a point. Understeer sets in earlier and when powering through its rear goes light and loses composure - roll oversteer almost, not very elegant. In contrast the Cit (same Michelin tyres but 185 vs 195 in Golf) just goes around. My family were complaining on one corner at 55km/h as the Golf lurched around - same corner at 60 in the Xantia and it was nowhere near its limits. These cars weigh much the same, similar size, FWD etc, but the Golf is a brand new model, 12 years younger, allegedly best in class.

nJm said:
The reviews of the VTS haven't been that positive. It has been slammed for having no torque down low, and then you have to deal with the imprecise manual gearbox when rowing through the gears trying to get to the power. Don't forget that the engine was designed for the 206 GTI180.

The UK mags tend to say that the best engine for the C4 is the 2L HDI.

The VTS:headbang: has enough power. I sit in traffic all day anyway. Citroen:headbang: make the world's best affordable cars.

6 Month C4 Review

Trixie,
I've had my C4 Exclusive since June 05 and i must say that i'm happy with it and haven't had too many problems with it. Mine is the Exclusive with the full leather & glass roof.

I haven't had any trim problems so far. The ergonomics are fantastic especially the fixed steering wheel centre. The only thing that i feel is missing is a manual version. Maybe it's just me, but the auto is not the most responsive going around. I'm not bagging it as such, but if your'e like me and prefer manual anyway, you might be better off with the 2 door VTS. I'm a family man so we need the 4 door.

Regards
ROBOTC4

Well I have now tried Mazda3 Maxx sport, Golf 1.6 Trendline and C4 1.6 SX all in a row.

The press go on and on about the Mazda and it certainly has a distinctively Japanese stylishness about it. Roomy and well equipped. Seats not that great. Brisk but only above 4000rpm by which time its getting unpleasantly loud, and there is a vibration through the pedal and dash at above 5500rpm which would seriously limit your desire to go there. Ride is decent, steering sharp but it lapses into understeer earlier than I expected and the rear end feels loose as if the damping isn't quite doing its job. The clutch is sharp and the gearbox notchy. In summary, ruined by a major refinement bypass :(

Golf is the best built, very solid with hardly a shudder getting through. Its cheaper than the C4, esp with the deals at present, and feels like it will last a little better. Doors thunk closed, all controls feel superbly made. And its almost as nice to drive as the C4.

C4: Seats are the best, interior space and practicality is equally as good, interior materials quality is just about as good and the design is so much more pleasing. The engine is relatively quiet, very smooth and pleasant sounding - nicer than Golf and more effortless. The ride is easily the best of the bunch - no low speed restlessness but yet excellent body control; lovely fluid, serene French feel to it. On the limit handling is more neutral than Golf (or 3, but then its got more power to understeer with when pushing) - less darty than the Mazda but more fluid than the VW.

Last edited:
C4 1.6 diesel 110HP

Dear Trixie,

If you are going to buy C4 I would wait for diesel that is coming out next year. I had car in europe for 2 months (jun/july) and I loved it to every bit. I've done 12000km for that period and not one single problem. Average fuel consumption was 6.5l. The car was Ambiance pack so interior finish was beautiful. Yes, car doesn't have foot rest or proper cup holder but you are not going to find 100% perfect car in this class. Engine is responsive and extremly quiet for diesel. Not the best ride above 150KM/H but we do not have autobahns so I don't think this is big worry. I do have to say the folding key just doesn't cut it for me although it is trendy. It just feels that after a period of time mechanism might break(maybe stupid issue). Overall I was extremly happy with the car.

Regards,

Igor

Have you tried, dare i suggest it, the Holden Astra? The 3 door looks rather sexy and the performance should match the 1.6L cars.

The current deals at the moment means you can get a car with leather, climate control, cd stacker etc etc for well under $30K.

Ride is decent, steering sharp but it lapses into understeer earlier than I expected and the rear end feels loose as if the damping isn't quite doing its job.

Noticed that when I drove a SP23. rear end is underdamped... and the road noise!!

Good advice guys. The Focus gets a good rap too, but Mrs Trixie says she would not drive a Ford. The Impreza RV got a thumbs up from kids and Mrs T on the weekend - its a rather more pleasant drive than the Mazda3, built at least as well as VW and has the best resale of the lot.

The diesel is a thought, although I suspect the price premium might put it over budget and given our travels would be under 8000km/year we would not recoup it. Unless resale is superior...

But much to my surprise given its press reviews (and even in spite of the lack of footrest), the C4 1.6 manual is standing out as a very pleasant, comfortable and characterful motor car.

Trixie,

I read your various comparisons with interest, even though I find it hard to agree in some cases :)

It sounds as if you have young kids? What did they think of the rear accommodation of the C4 in comparison to the Golf? I can't remember if it was a Comfortline option but the Golf came with a rear arm rest, which is a nice touch. I always thought the 307 had a slightly odd rear cushion angle which made it a tad uncomfortable, whereas the Golf was spot on. And then there is the suspension damping of the 307 which was irritating for rear seat passengers, but much better for front passengers.

Our 307 was a 1.6 with Continental tyres so maybe they have made a few changes to change this feeling in the suspension. We briefly test drove a C4 2.0 and I was disappointed that it had the same feeling as the 307 - poor damping in the rear and odd angle of cushion. I didn't drive the C4 though so I can't make any comparisons there.

Regarding the Focus, I was lucky enough to be handed the keys to a mates Zetec up the Old Pac yesterday. Wow, that is a sensational chassis. Ford really know how to suspend a car. The body control was awesome, really. The only downsides I noticed in my brief drive were the Goodyear NCT tyres - yuck, and the steering that didn't feel as well weighted as our Golf.

Could you elaborate on your experience with the Impreza? How did you find the steering? Our '05 Liberty is downright horrid - it is so vague I suspect there is something wrong with it. Not a bad car otherwise though.

I think if my budget was restricted to 25K I would go for the Focus, but if I could stretch to 30K I'd go for the Golf.

Have you tried the Megane? You could probably get a good deal on one.

Another suggestion, a bit left of field: A runout Holden Vectra. They go for about $25990 from memory for the 2.2.

Last edited:
It's fun driving all those cars isn't it .... The best bit is you get into the 10+year old Xantia to drive home and think .... "Where the bloody hell is the $20,000 improvement":confused: :confused:

I'd have to be bloody nuts to spend $20,000 on downgrading from my current car to a VW, Ford, Poogoe or Mazda :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

$20,000grand is a hell of a lot of $$$ for changeover on a car that's better is some aspects but a lot worse in a lot too ... Guess it's the same problem a lot of people face when they want a newer car ??

I'd just drive the Xantia till it dies ... It's already paid for itself many times over, and you'll lose more in depreciation on a new car in the first 5minutes of ownership than the Xantia will cost in upkeep for the next decade :roflmao:

seeya,
Shane L.

It's fun driving all those cars isn't it .... The best bit is you get into the 10+year old Xantia to drive home and think .... "Where the bloody hell is the $20,000 improvement

But..... afaik the Xantia isn't/wasn't a competitor to the Focus/3/Golf etc

You should compare the Xantia to a Accord Euro/Mazda6 etc.

"Where the bloody hell is the $20,000 improvement

You could say that anytime you upgrade a car.

Macquered - I take note of your Focus opinions with interest; the little Fiesta has a lovely chassis and I'm going to try a Focus. The only C4's I've tried are the 1.6 manual and in all honesty I found the ride/handling compromise to my tastes; decent understeer resistance and a well-sorted rear. I took it over speed humps (brilliant - almost Xantioid) as well as ruts and a particularly nasty corrugated section of road near where I work and was happy with the small bump absorption too. Also on a couple of bends where cement joining strips tend to unsettle the car it tracked faithfully. Kids OK'd the ride in the C4 (didn't like Golf) but neither's seats impressed them. Maybe the lighter engine and humbler tyres suit it better than the 2.0 litres bits? Maybe it was aromatherapy at work :clown:

Impreza? The solidity, the relative refinement, the rear seat shape was liked by the kids. The ride is lumpier. The steering has more feel than Liberty Gen 4 although the chassis is more like a Gen 3 Liberty in that you tend to get more understeer on turn-in than a FWD. But once into the corner as its AWD power is your friend - it neutralises nicely. Also handles bigger dips (and mid-corner dips) much better than the low-speed ride suggests. I was surprised.

My Lib's steering is light but there is feel there (somewhere). Its very direct and accurate. Maybe your wheel alignment is non-ideal?, tyre pressures?, tyre brand?

Shane, you're completely correct :wink2:

C4 vs Focus

Ah, all this hard work..and still to try the 307 update and Astra.

For my under $25K at Ford I get 2 litres, cheap annual servicing, similar level of equipment to the C4 SX (but CD/radio is not as good), perhaps the most comfy rear seat in class and a big boot. Also a better chassis than the Mazda 3, better damped rear but ride really no firmer. The engine is quieter and torquier than the Mazda but still makes a dull drone as revs rise. But somehow it does not entice. Nasty interior plastics and a lack of refinement; feels solid enough, but it makes noise as it goes along - perhaps tyre noise; hard to pinpoint - which makes it feel cheap. It is not a car I would look forward to getting into, driving or owning. To me, the C4 is more pleasantly turned out.

At the end of the day, they are all pretty good little cars. All safe. All well-equipped. Its very much down to individual priorities but the C4, in 1.6 manual 5 door form, is still high on the shortlist.

mantra said:
Have you tried, dare i suggest it, the Holden Astra? The 3 door looks rather sexy and the performance should match the 1.6L cars.
The current deals at the moment means you can get a car with leather, climate control, cd stacker etc etc for well under $30K.
Just don't try and look out the back window!!!

Yes the 3 door Astra isn't too bad (friend just ditched her MR2 for one ... why, cause have you ever tried to go on holidays in a MR2 ??? - luggage space, what's that? - very fun, very impractical), but the Astra dash layout is horrible (IMHO) .. not as bad as the Mazda 3 (which I dis-liked even MORE) ... the best part about 'olden is the number of places that can/will fix and service it - you are spoilt for choice.

- xTc -

Trixie said:
For my under $25K at Ford I get 2 litres, cheap annual servicing, similar level of equipment to the C4 SX (but CD/radio is not as good), perhaps the most comfy rear seat in class and a big boot. Also a better chassis than the Mazda 3, better damped rear but ride really no firmer. The engine is quieter and torquier than the Mazda but still makes a dull drone as revs rise. But somehow it does not entice. Nasty interior plastics and a lack of refinement; feels solid enough, but it makes noise as it goes along - perhaps tyre noise; hard to pinpoint - which makes it feel cheap. It is not a car I would look forward to getting into, driving or owning. To me, the C4 is more pleasantly turned out.

Goodo, at least you've tried it. I'm surprised I haven't seen more on the road given their value. The 2.0 across the range is a good selling point.

Re the Liberty. It was one the runout 2.0 wagons. Free leather (which absolutely stinks!) and airbags, electric seats etc. It came with the 16" wheels from the old Impreza RS and Bridgestone RE030. I know from experience they aren't a bad tyre so the vague steering is odd. It could be alignment, but I rarely drive it so I can't be bothered getting it checked. I checked the pressures recently though.

macquered said:
Goodo, at least you've tried it. I'm surprised I haven't seen more on the road given their value. The 2.0 across the range is a good selling point.

Re the Liberty. It was one the runout 2.0 wagons. Free leather (which absolutely stinks!) and airbags, electric seats etc. It came with the 16" wheels from the old Impreza RS and Bridgestone RE030. I know from experience they aren't a bad tyre so the vague steering is odd. It could be alignment, but I rarely drive it so I can't be bothered getting it checked. I checked the pressures recently though.
Off topic: might be worth having your tyre pressures a bit above recommended - 36/33 for example.

307: Mmm. Nice cabin, I liked the seats esp the rear seat but I can see what people mean about them pushing your shoulders forward. Well equipped; dual digital climate for $24 990! Short drive only - nicely refined and very pleasant IMO, body not quite as rigid as C4, more nose-heavy and a less compliant ride also. I definitely preferred the C4 but I wonder how it will fare for resale in 4-5 years time....