C4 Noisy suspension, anyone else got the problem?

newtocitroen

Tadpole
I happened to be chatting to a Citroen car club member a few weeks ago and remarked that the rear suspension on my near new C4 Coupe was starting to become noisy (creak/groan/squeak). He recalled something about noisy suspension, and the cause of it, but couldn't remember if it was the C4. I really would like to know if anyone has similar problem and/or information regarding this, because when my wife took the car for its 3000km service and complained about the slight noise (which is slowly becoming worse),was told nothing was wrong....the suspension sounded normal. (If it's normal then every other car I've ever owned has been abnormally quiet in this regard!!..)

I need some ammunition because I just want the dealer to fix it, with no smarty comeback and no inconvenience whatsoever to me.

hmm. I get that awful noise when in reverse.. or reverse parking (whilst turning). It's not the brakes, for once, Citroen have got it right and the breaks don't squeak...

But yeah, if you mean during normal driving, i haven't noticed the suspension to be noisy, maybe it's because i'm too busy listening to the rattles :joker:

Last edited:
newtocitroen said:
I happened to be chatting to a Citroen car club member a few weeks ago and remarked that the rear suspension on my near new C4 Coupe was starting to become noisy (creak/groan/squeak). He recalled something about noisy suspension, and the cause of it, but couldn't remember if it was the C4. I really would like to know if anyone has similar problem and/or information regarding this, because when my wife took the car for its 3000km service and complained about the slight noise (which is slowly becoming worse),was told nothing was wrong....the suspension sounded normal. (If it's normal then every other car I've ever owned has been abnormally quiet in this regard!!..)

I need some ammunition because I just want the dealer to fix it, with no smarty comeback and no inconvenience whatsoever to me.

Not heard of any complaints with suspension noises in the C4? Very early C5s certainly had problems up to March '01 build, I believe - these were fixed under warranty.

If you are experiencing problems - keep complaining, insist on taking your dealer for a drive and have them acknowledge and fix.

Cheers
Chris

newtocitroen said:
Why do dealers always seam to treat customer concerns with a grain of salt. You would think a quick spin in your car and then another in one of theirs would highlight the problem. Another case of "we'll sell you the car but don't expect any service from us!"

The noise is more a groan. You will notice it mostly at very low speed and especially in reverse. If you can find a piece of the car that is solid enough to push down on, you can hear it apparently coming from the rear shockers.
Interesting your complaint about rattles, my car is exceptionally quiet in all other respects.
Interesting also are other peoples comments about how dirty the car gets, seeming to suck every particle of dust onto its backside...Very true. Also very true it is a car with that kinda' look that makes you just wanna have one!...Despite it's shortcomings. I could've bought a hyundai elantra fx for $2000.00 less (changeover price)....I know which car I'd rather have at any price!... I have had people jump out of their car at intersections to have a gawk at the C4, people stop in the street to talk about how beautiful the thing is, a BM driver jumping for joy to actually see one. There doesn't seem to be many on the road in Melbourne.(Wonder if that's a bad sign??!
Cheers;:)
Uga Boga said:
hmm. I get that awful noise when in reverse.. or reverse parking (whilst turning). It's not the brakes, for once, Citroen have got it right and the breaks don't squeak...

But yeah, if you mean during normal driving, i haven't noticed the suspension to be noisy, maybe it's because i'm too busy listening to the rattles :joker:

We had suspension groans throughout the 2 year ownership of the 307 we had, and my parents said that the C4 they had in Europe recently had noisy suspension compared to our current Golf.

I think it's just a weakness of the C4/307 platform, amongst other things.

newtocitroen said:
The noise is more a groan. You will notice it mostly at very low speed and especially in reverse.

We just got a new C4 as our office car and i did actully notice this while driving around over the weekend. Very very quiet though, i wouldnt really rate it as an issue.. but yours may be worse.

enthused! said:
We just got a new C4 as our office car and i did actully notice this while driving around over the weekend. Very very quiet though, i wouldnt really rate it as an issue.. but yours may be worse.
Wow, Niels must be feeling generous to buy a C4 as an office car.