C4 Intermittent Immobiliser Problem - any suggestions Please?

Mouka

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hey Guys - 2005 C4 2L petrol EW10A - sometimes say 2 out of 10 times has starting problem related to immobiliser I reckon. Cranks but will not fire. When this occurs keep trying by taking key in and out of ignition lock till eventually fires. Replaced the battery in the key FOB twice but not sure this has solved it. The 3 remote buttons on the FOB work fine as the car locks/unlocks fine, the headlights come on with the third button. Any suggestions what to do next? Is it time to replace the key FOB with a correctly coded one? Anyone had this problem? Will do a BSI reset and see how that goes although not convinced this will resolve it. This issue is only intermittent and car drives fine. Thanks heaps

When was the car battery replaced?

Do you have several different car keys on the same key ring causing immobilizer to activate

Do you have a spare key even a non flip version?

Has anyone been playing with wiring under the steering wheel as the antenna than activates the RFID chip could be loose or chip within key is rolling around inside the flip case. Little black block in the case or sometimes on the PCB

Thanks for reply - battery has not been replaced for a while - car cranks fine and fast - don't think it would be the battery.
Yes there are a few other household keys on the key ring - how do they activate the immobiliser if you don't mind me asking? By pressing the button?
Do not have a spare key unfortunately.
No one been playing with wiring under steering wheel.
I took key fob apart the other day to change the battery - the little PC Board looks OK did not notice anything loose or rolling around.

It's not the same car, but this might be your issue...

My partner's car, a Skoda Fabia, is currently not starting. It started off with a couple of cranky starts - would turn over nice and fast but not start, after a few attempts (with maybe starting and running a few seconds, then conking out) and after a few tries, start up and drive perfectly all day. Now it won't start at all.

Long story short, it is the in-tank fuel pump. The 12 volt pump in the fuel tank that passes fuel along to the main high-pressure fuel pump on the engine. If the in-tank pump fails, it won't start. They can go from dodgy (can get it going by banging the underside of the fuel tank) to not going at all quite quickly. In ours, the fuel pump has seized, and doesn't turn at all.

To check - remove the fuel filler cap. Stand with your ear down near the filler opening. Have an assistant in the drivers seat. Ask your assistant to turn the key to ignition on (dashboard lights up but DON'T try to start the car.) You should hear the fuel pump whirring inside the tank, probably for a few seconds then shut off? If you can't hear the whirring, the fuel pump isn't working. A few youtubers recommend trying to shock the pump into action by banging the underneath of the fuel tank while the power is on to the pump - in that few seconds after turning the ignition to ON - either with your hand or with a rubber hammer.

If you can hear the whirring, you might have a blocked fuel filter??

I don't know about your car, but with the Fabia the fuel pump is controlled my a little electronic module under the back seat. If it detects that the pump is seized or faulty, it disconnects power after the initial few seconds trying. That is why you only have a few seconds to test or thump the pump.

If you can get your car to start, drive it to your mechanic to get the fuel pump checked. Our car only had two times that it played up and then started, now it won't go at all and is off the road until the new fuel pump arrives for me to fit.

Thanks for reply - battery has not been replaced for a while - car cranks fine and fast - don't think it would be the battery.
Yes there are a few other household keys on the key ring - how do they activate the immobiliser if you don't mind me asking? By pressing the button?
Do not have a spare key unfortunately.
No one been playing with wiring under steering wheel.
I took key fob apart the other day to change the battery - the little PC Board looks OK did not notice anything loose or rolling around.
Yeah assuming it was an immobilizer issue, if you don't have the centre screen telling you there is an immobilizer issue ignore the above.

Intank Fuel pump can be an issue but then fuel delivery will also be a issue.

When you put the key on to accessory do you hear a pump running under the back seat, that's the in tank pump. If you hear it sometimes and engine starts all ok. If you don't hear it engine won't start. Doesn't run continuously only a few seconds.

Only other keys with RFID chips can cause the immobilizer to activate usually other car keys.

It is very common for these early flip keys to fail and do this the only fix is to replace the key get on it before you get stuck which you will 407s did this all the time

Thanks guys - I am not convinced it is the fuel pump as the car starts most of the time 9 out of 10 but good point to check. Drives fine all the time. I can check with the above test nevertheless.
Don't have any other keys with RFID on same keyring - so not that.

Thanks dmccurtayne - would you recommend going to local Citroen dealer (Adelaide) for a correct replacement or aftermarket auto-locksmith. I believe the aftermarket locksmith will need a 4 digit security code to be able to programme the key which I will need to obtain from the dealer. Is that correct? Thank you.

Thanks dmccurtayne - would you recommend going to local Citroen dealer (Adelaide) for a correct replacement or aftermarket auto-locksmith. I believe the aftermarket locksmith will need a 4 digit security code to be able to programme the key which I will need to obtain from the dealer. Is that correct? Thank you.
Any decent locksmith can get you a aftermarket remote key for way less than a dealer will charge get a remote and a standard key while you are there shame you live in Adelaide I can do them cheap with the code anyone can pull the code with an Autel or the like key tool from the car .

Thanks dmc - I will try and organise a replacement key and hopefully this will resolve the intermittent problem. Is there any other check I should perform to confirm this is the problem? Thx

Got a new key fob programmed last Friday for $230 and problem so far has gone away. Fingers crossed it will stay that way but so far so good. Thanks all for helping.