C4 HDI 1.6 Query

almostfrench

Fellow Frogger
I have been offered a C4 HDI 1.6 with a blown engine.
The thought is to save my Xantia V6 from daily running around to work etc.
Apart from the engine, which apparently seized due to an oil blockage, the car is in excellent condition with dead cow and all the trappings of wealth.
Apparently it has done about 160k.
I don't want to invest in a heap (more) trouble, but happy to get a secondhand engine and fit it.
How do these things fare?
Is the gearbox (auto 6 speed) a robotised manual or a "proper" automatic and is it "Problem-atic"?
I have been told that it is a 2008 model, but not sure if it has DPF or not.
Looking for others' experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited:
I had a Pug 307 with the same engine. I did 250000 km in it. Still as new when traded in.
You MUST service these engines on the dot, 10,000 km oil changes with the correct oil, Total INEO ECS or equivalent.
they are prone to problems if they don't get regular changes with the right oil.
Peugeot specified 20,000 km changes when I bought my car but after a couple of years I was told to get oil changed every 10,000 as these engines were prone to sludging up. I believe Citroen were specifying 15,000 km changes at that time??
They are also prone to fuel injectors seizing in the head. In the 307 the space around the engine for servicing some items was terrible, don't know about the Cit?
I don't know for sure about the transmission, but I believe the 1.6 auto was an EGS ("robotic".) The 2 litre came with the Japanese (real) auto.

DMcCurtayne will no doubt have a valuable, experienced opinion on these cars.

We had a new '07 1.6hdi manual, did 310,000km, then injectors coming lose,
And resultant issues.
Rather than fiddle with it, we bought another identical with only 70k km for $6k.
Now i have a parts car which has been used well...

Last edited:
I have been offered a C4 HDI 1.6 with a blown engine.
The thought is to save my Xantia V6 from daily running around to work etc.
Apart from the engine, which apparently seized due to an oil blockage, the car is in excellent condition with dead cow and all the trappings of wealth.
Apparently it has done about 160k.
I don't want to invest in a heap (more) trouble, but happy to get a secondhand engine and fit it.
How do these things fare?
Is the gearbox (auto 6 speed) a robotised manual or a "proper" automatic and is it "Problem-atic"?
I have been told that it is a 2008 model, but not sure if it has DPF or not.
Looking for others' experiences.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Hi Chris,

yes it does have a dpf which needs the fluid replaced around 100k depending on type of driving. Replacement is around $500. I am chasing some injectors so if yours are surplus from the old engine I’ll gladly buy them off u.

The 1.6 HDI engine has a very long life ahead of it, way over 160k, if the correct grade and type of oil is used, and changed as recommended. It has excellent torque and performs well.

Too many owners have ignored this and paid for it. Ash from inappropriate oil can do all sorts of expensive damage to the turbo and engine and particle filter. Sadly, some of these oil changes were by mechanics.

Total Quartz Ineo is recommended, but hard to get retail in NSW. Vic may be easier. If you don't mind couriers you can get it from distributors in 3 off 5 L cartons.

There are alternative oils that suit, some trade, some retail, often discussed in the forum.

The 2.0 HDI engines are more forgiving in this respect, but can still be damaged by wrong oils or omitted changes..

EGS (robotic manual) has change paddles and 6 gears. You don't have to use auto. You can also tell by the gear change stick. The EGS is actually a sports type manual box with an auto changer for clutch and gears hung alongside, so different in appearance from a torque converter auto.
egs.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I reckon I will go ahead with it and learn about the Wonderful World of Common Rail, DPFs and EGS gearboxes, which will be a culture shock from my 205s, BX and Xantia, which are all Old Skool according to my kids.......
I have decided to overhaul the existing engine as I am unlikely to strike a secondhand one that has been maintained the way they should.
I only want to do this once!