BX19 buying advice

downunderyank

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the citroen team (not even on it yet) but I am looking very seriously at an '89 BX19 TRI that has 88K on the clock with the original owner with full service history. It has had new spheres and brakes and sounds really nice (I'm waiting for pictures). DOes anyone have one of these cars and if so would like to comment on them especially on the economy. I'm guessing they would be similar to father in laws Xantia which gets about 7.5L to 100K. I'd be happy with that. ANything else I should really be wary about with these cars. Thanks for the help!:D :roflmao:

Bx19

BTW, does anyone own one of these cars and live in Tasmania? I would love to have my wife drive one before we purchase as I would rather sidestep the same fate of the 505 diesel that I bought for her (she refuses to drive it). If so, give me a shout if you wouldn't mind us taking it around the block sometime. Thanks again. Dan.

Dan,

I was told a few days ago that Craig Salmon over at Kingston had a couple of BXs at his workshop recently. I know nothing about the cars-what model they are; whether they're for sale, or simply in for service, or who owns them (or even if they're still there) but - as there are very few BXs in Tasmania - perhaps you should give him a call and enquire about them. His number is 03 62296030.
Cheers,

I'm surprised Alan hasn't answered this yet.

IMO BX 19Tri 5spds are the pick of the models that were sold here. They don't appear to have the oil usage problems that plagued some of the later models. I had an amazing run out of a high milage BX19tri with little other than general maitenance.

Just a few pointers.

Look for :

--Trashed plastic dash/interior. Yes our sun kills it, can you live with the rattles.
--Breather hoses around the front of the motor. Try removing the oil filler cap, if it's full of mayonaise like sh!t don't be alarmed, this appears to be normal and is still an issue with the same breather system on the Berlingo. It will be a good bartering point though :evil:
--Put the car on 'high' and look at it from behind. If the back wheels look like:

/ |

or

| \

or

/ \ Budget on new rear arm bearings. The bearings are only $30bux each from your local bearing shop. Changing them is not a big drama.

The back wheels of course should look verticle like this:

| |

The front struts may be binding, the car will raise and lower with a series of jerky movements. Some smart people on these Citroen boards have found a free permanent fix for this, however it's another good bartering point :evil: :D

Check for hard spheres, each corner of the car should be nice and soft. If one corner is very firm or rock hard that sphere will need replacing.

All in all, the BX is a seriously tough little car. I doubt you'll have any big issues with it (other than deteriating interior plastic if left exposed in the sun).

If I needed a cheap reliable runabout a BX 19tri 5spd would be the top of my list.

seeya,
Shane L.

Bx

Thanks guys, that exactly what I was looking for. As this car has had all the sphere replaced recently and new front struts, it should be fine. I like the idea it is a one owner with all service records. As long as the dash is not cracked, it sounds like it would serve our needs for years to come. Cheers!

Rest assured, the dash will be cracked but only the plastic section immediately behind the windscreen (between dash and screen) although being down your way it will be in better condition than those in the hotter climates.
I'm presently redoing a Tri auto with around 220K klms on the speedo and it now runs so well (after general maintenance only) you'd be forgiven for thinking it only had about 50K klms on the clock.
They've reached the stage overseas that they are fast becoming a "cult" car with clubs forming and this is due mainly to people who owned them, updated into other brands or later models and then discovering they were the cheapest to maintain and simplest Cit ever made. Cases in the UK of new Berlingos and Xsaras being replaced by BXs aren't uncommon.

Alan S

The dash shouldn't be cracked but the plastic strip at the bottom of the windscreen will be ... if it's not take a photo as it is one of the few in the world that wouldn't be.

Real low klm cars aren't necesarily a good thing as lack of use can be just as damaging as lack of service... rubbers, bushes and hoses can perish so keep this in mind..also and particularly with alloy engines... a lack of use and lack of coolant can lead to corrosion....the electrical connections may also be susceptible to corrosion and potential intermitent faults...Heater matrixes can also fail due to poor coolant circulation or lack of coolant.

We bought an adelaide car (hard water) that had a good service history and had done 119k which were verifiable but at some point it has stood (minimal use) with no coolant and little use and ended up with internal corosion to the engine and a failed heater matrix which resulted in $$$'s to make good...

It's always nicer to find a car with low klms but that doesn't necesarily mean that you shouldn't be as diligent in looking over it...I've learned that the hard way! :cry:

When you get it home grab some contact cleaner and go through every plug, connection and loom and give them all a good dose / clean including the EFI Module under the drivers seat...you'll be amazed at what a difference that will make and do the elctric window switches while you're at it. Oh and don't hang a big heavy bunch of keys off the ignition as the switches fail with the weight.

Also keep in mind that the cooling system can easily vapour lock and it has three bleed screws (one on the radiator tank, one on the thermostat housing and one behind the head along the heater line opposite the fire wall). The radiator should not be filled to the top but about 30cms from the top looking into the tank it also needs to be bled so there is no vapour lock. The tank can look full but the coolant may not be circulating and if it's a TRi there is no temperature gauge only an orange light (oh sh!t) and a red light (oh really really sh!t) and the time taken between the orange one coming on and the red can be counted on one hand at times...

Any second hand car that is now 15 years old is a bit of luck, having said that a well sorted BX will just go and go once sorted...and is a great reliable, economical and fun runabout...

Good luck with it all....

:cheers:

Bx

Thanks for that Jack, I agree with what you said about the low K's, I'd rather have a 250K car that someone has really looked after and driven long distances than a 90K car that has sat around alot being neglected and only driven on short trips. Although the good thing about low K cars is generally the bodys are in better shape. I can do mechanical work, but am hopeless atfixing rust or painting. I will post some pics when I get them and you all can have your say. Cheers!:dance: