Bx to c6, should I upgrade…?

gsmack

Fellow Frogger
So for those who don’t know me, I’m a bx driver, I even have a bx shed that currently has 2.5 cars in it…none of which go, but they have potential 😁
Popped into Grays today to have a look at the C6 V6 hdi that is for sale, and figured it would be useful to give you guys a bit of a summary, for those unable to stick their head under the bonnet.

I saw the comment re the car coming from the ACT, and having looked at it, I suspect it got on the write off register after going through one of their major hail storms. Whole surface of the car is not as ‘perfect’ as one would expect. Poor paint surface prep has led to poor finished job and trim has been put back on generally badly ☹️

Engine runs ok, rough spot at the 950 rpm, hydraulic oil is below the measuring point, not sure if that’s because it’s leaking, or people just didn’t know to check it. Grays clean cars so well, it’s hard to assess leaks. There is a leak of some sort on the mid point of the sub frame, engine oil vs hydraulic oil, to hard to tell.

There is a hydraulic leak from what I would call the rear flow divider, the junction box where the two rear spheres sit.

Right hand windscreen washer has popped off and there’s a bunch of damage to the sound deadening, which you can see in the ad listing, but I just don’t see what’s caused it.

Interior, everything appears to work, except maybe steering wheel up and down, but that might be more I don’t know the secret combination of buttons 🧐 Cream is a terrible colour for a car, australian sun has faded it badly, looks like someone has spent a lot of time in the car, not going far, so I’d say a commuter car.

The shape of the rear window is gorgeous and ridiculous, rear ties are contI, but look old, lots of wear still, front tires are good year.

It does not go up and down as dramatically as an old bx, which I do kind of love, but when you turn the park brake on and off, you feel the pressure change in the brake pedal, and the nose does raise ever so slightly when one starts it up….

So, do I jump into the C6 camp, which I feel is maybe even smaller than the BX camp? 🤣

So you're saying it looks like the upper panels at least have been resprayed?

The sound deadening damage might have been from trying to push out hail dents on the bonnet, but who knows. maybe not, because the sound deadening on the firewall is also damaged. Effects of a burst coolant hose at some stage?

It depends on what you want from driving. If it simply to get from Point A to Point B go for it.

I have recently moved from an Xm to a C5 and I have found the experience challenging. Driving a modern car is really different, I feel somewhat disengaged. I'm not talking about the "joys" of waiting for something to go wrong or fall off. But rather the fact it is too clinical.

You only accelerate for a really short period of time and the car will shift through far more many gears than necessary as the diesel engine stays in about a 500rpm range. The ride will be smooth as a laboratory of electronics tries to have the car gliding on LDS while handling like a German sports saloon while it understeer around bends due to the heavy cast iron diesel engine up front. It will effortlessly maintain speed and cruise quietly down the highway as it clears its particulate filter.

Of course it does look fantastic and its exclusivity is a bonus, but not one without challenges (spare parts).

Of course you can keep the fleet of Bx's and have the best of both worlds.

Just think carefully about it.

@Roger Wilkinson you’ve sold one…doing better than me, I’ve given one away, my first BX 16 TRS, to someone who wanted to make it electric🙂

So as a full time farmer now, where is the up and down lever in the C6 so I can take the eggs to market via the back paddock??

also, can I get a tow bar for it? These are serious questions 😃

I do about 50k a year, mostly on the Hume, so some long distance comfort would be nice, the amount of electronics that can go wrong worries me a bit. As a computer systems engineer, seems like a lot of potential problems.

Last edited:
I sold it only last week, so it took me 20 years to build up to it.

I have given one away (to be used for jaws of life training, the automotive equivalent of donating your body to science), scrapped one, swapped one for a Poll Dorset ram, and swapped another for a table and six chairs.

One reason to keep a BX is for local running around (e.g., eggs in back paddock), so you can keep the C6 for eating Hume miles.

Roger

Hi Roger, My 89 BXTRI still a daily driver..32 years in the family. Approx 280000km. I reckon the C6 being discussed could be a good investment if one could afford a full repaint. Real luxury. .I have 3 BX and am comfortable maintaining them still. God knows i need a hoist. though😁

So for those who don’t know me, I’m a bx driver, I even have a bx shed that currently has 2.5 cars in it…none of which go, but they have potential 😁
Popped into Grays today to have a look at the C6 V6 hdi that is for sale, and figured it would be useful to give you guys a bit of a summary, for those unable to stick their head under the bonnet.

I saw the comment re the car coming from the ACT, and having looked at it, I suspect it got on the write off register after going through one of their major hail storms. Whole surface of the car is not as ‘perfect’ as one would expect. Poor paint surface prep has led to poor finished job and trim has been put back on generally badly ☹️

Engine runs ok, rough spot at the 950 rpm, hydraulic oil is below the measuring point, not sure if that’s because it’s leaking, or people just didn’t know to check it. Grays clean cars so well, it’s hard to assess leaks. There is a leak of some sort on the mid point of the sub frame, engine oil vs hydraulic oil, to hard to tell.

There is a hydraulic leak from what I would call the rear flow divider, the junction box where the two rear spheres sit.

Right hand windscreen washer has popped off and there’s a bunch of damage to the sound deadening, which you can see in the ad listing, but I just don’t see what’s caused it.

Interior, everything appears to work, except maybe steering wheel up and down, but that might be more I don’t know the secret combination of buttons 🧐 Cream is a terrible colour for a car, australian sun has faded it badly, looks like someone has spent a lot of time in the car, not going far, so I’d say a commuter car.

The shape of the rear window is gorgeous and ridiculous, rear ties are contI, but look old, lots of wear still, front tires are good year.

It does not go up and down as dramatically as an old bx, which I do kind of love, but when you turn the park brake on and off, you feel the pressure change in the brake pedal, and the nose does raise ever so slightly when one starts it up….

So, do I jump into the C6 camp, which I feel is maybe even smaller than the BX camp? 🤣
I wonder if that sound deadening damage has been caused by mice ?? It would be interesting to see if this is a city car or has it been garaged more in a rural area.

I spent $2 and downloaded the PPSR for this C6 on the WOVR up for auction at Grays. The certificate states the car received heavy hail damage during the early 2020 Canberra hail storm. This hail damage is why it’s on the WOVR. Was going to have a look but the earlier poster in this thread has given us a very good summary of the cars condition.

I went to check it out as well and agree with the summary, only other thing that put me off beyond the poor quality repair down the left hand side is when revving it with foot hard on the brake the gearbox seemed to give a good slip, possibly just needs a fluid change given the kms as felt a bit slow changing into R as well. Not sure if that's normal on these.

Incidentally you don't need to pay for the PPSR yourself when listed as wovr at Grays, it's down at the bottom of the listing to click on showing the hail write off status.

I was told by a friend of mine many years ago when I was looking for another make of up market vehicle, and I think it applies here. ”The most expensive one you choose will be the cheapest “

He was right !