BX Steam Engine or OOOps I did bad

twm

Fellow Frogger
Its a mazing to see a bx blowing clouds of steam out the exhaust....

A funny thing happenned after I had my aircon fixed, the temp light came on, I though hmmm the aircon guys knocked a wire off or something, anyway, trust me not to stop soon enough to find out I had actually run out of water. (damm fool me) :confused:

On restarting some time later I noticed it was running quitre right and was amazed to see clouds of steam billowing out the exhaust, od dear I said, being a man of some restraint. (yeah sure) :mad:

Anyway a car trailer later and a bit further inspection reveals water in the oil as well, gee I must has done a good job. :(

I am in the process of clearing some workspace to start removing the head etc, and was wondering if anyt of you guys out there have any advice on procedures and/or where to probably get another head, if I am lucky it may be only the gasket, if unlucky it may be a cylinder. :cry:

Will keep you posted on the story, an no I did not put cold water in a hot motor.

Cheers

As a minimum get the head serviced.
This might include a light skim and a set of valve stem seals and re-seat.

Also, pressure and leak test.
Should come to around $200, all up, (I stand to be corrected on the price). :cry:

I've sent a PM to a guy who has a complete 16Trs engine and advised him to contact you.
It was apparently going well but he had a chance to drop a 19 in so took the opportunity as it also had a 5 speed manual attached to it.
I have a guy interested in the auto box presently attached to it, but this is possibly your best alternative and probably will cost no more than a head let alone any internal work that may need doing.
There are apparently two heads that will fit but only one that can be used due to the compression ratios.
If you check the Citroen forum, you'll find I asked the question about this a couple of weeks back and a full explanation of which head fits and which one doesn't is stated on there.
If you don't hear from this guy, drop me a PM and I'll chase up his contact details for you.

Alan S :cheers:

Alan S said:
I've sent a PM to a guy who has a complete 16Trs engine and advised him to contact you.
It was apparently going well but he had a chance to drop a 19 in so took the opportunity as it also had a 5 speed manual attached to it.
I have a guy interested in the auto box presently attached to it, but this is possibly your best alternative and probably will cost no more than a head let alone any internal work that may need doing.
There are apparently two heads that will fit but only one that can be used due to the compression ratios.
If you check the Citroen forum, you'll find I asked the question about this a couple of weeks back and a full explanation of which head fits and which one doesn't is stated on there.
If you don't hear from this guy, drop me a PM and I'll chase up his contact details for you.

Alan S :cheers:

Gee thanks for that, it is really nice, I would like to find a 19 as well at some stage. What I was going to do is find a motor to do up. Ive only had the car a few weeks and fell in love with it, so I am still finding my way around a bit. I will probably have the head off this weekend. By the way mine is an auto and has been a bit sluggish. Someone was saying the the 16 are actually nippy and I might find a difference once a good tune etc. This was before the steam effect. In any case I should have an idea about the state of the nation then. Of course a spare engine would be good.

Cheers
Terry

which ever way you decide to go, be it new head, or engine swap, if you are new to citroens, when you put the motor in the car, and you are filling it with fluids, BE SURE TO BLEED THE COOLING SYSTEM PROPERLY!
Bleed screws are found on the radiator, thermostat housing, and i think, the heater (under the bonnet, not in the car) john s