BX hydraulic pump on Xantia.

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Any ideas as to whether a BX hydraulic pump will fit a Xantia?

Graham

Which model Xantia?
The I know the VSX hydractive ones have a multi-cylinder pump - something like 6 cylinders to drive the powered steering and only 2 for the rest, in which case a standard BX pump would not suit. Perhaps someone else can add to this?
Regards, Andrew.

Without looking up the technical jargon, I think you'd have to be lucky as the Xantia on some models runs what is called a 6/2 pump but I do believe on some models it may be interchangeable.
On the CXs there was a conversion that some did that allowed the power steering to run more efficiently at low revs due to the amount of pressure it required al low revs and the ability of the BX pump to supply at that lower rev range.

Alan S:cheers:

Xantia in question is non hydroactive 1994 SX 1800
not sure which pump it has
thanks for the input
Alpine

The BX pump drives off the gearbox end of the cam whereas the Xant pump is mounted in the altenator area, so no. Also the Xant pump has 2 outlets, the BX has one and a different pulley.

Dave B said:
The BX pump drives off the gearbox end of the cam whereas the Xant pump is mounted in the altenator area, so no. Also the Xant pump has 2 outlets, the BX has one and a different pulley.
Both the BXs I have pulled apart have had the pump near the alternator. These were TRi and TZi. What sort of drive system would be used from the gear box end??

Graham

ajpolden said:
Which model Xantia?
The I know the VSX hydractive ones have a multi-cylinder pump - something like 6 cylinders to drive the powered steering and only 2 for the rest, in which case a standard BX pump would not suit. Perhaps someone else can add to this?
Regards, Andrew.

As I've mentioned in another thread the two output pump was introduced together with anti-sink in 1994 regardless of VSX or other model designations. So only 1993 or early 1994 models will have the single output pump. (The changeover occured in December 1993 for manufacturing date according to the Citroen manuals I have, but cars sold up to mid 1994 could sometimes have the old system until they used up stock)

Because of this the single output pump is pretty rare on Xantia's. So far I've only seen one.

Regards,
Simon

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
Both the BXs I have pulled apart have had the pump near the alternator. These were TRi and TZi. What sort of drive system would be used from the gear box end??

Graham

I can only refer to CX systems, but the old pumps on those were driven like a fuel pump using a an arm on a cam lobe and the pump bolted to the block.
If you can access a specs of both via service manuals, that might be your best guide.
My Xantia has a pump fitted that is poles apart from the BX pump right down to the location and mounts used. In this instance, 'twould be a braver soul than I who tried to fit one to the other.:eek: :cry: :nownow:

Alan S

Alan S said:
I can only refer to CX systems, but the old pumps on those were driven like a fuel pump using a an arm on a cam lobe and the pump bolted to the block.
If you can access a specs of both via service manuals, that might be your best guide.
My Xantia has a pump fitted that is poles apart from the BX pump right down to the location and mounts used. In this instance, 'twould be a braver soul than I who tried to fit one to the other.:eek: :cry: :nownow:

Alan S

That would be very brave indeed I think Alan!!!! Less subtly, "just don't even think more of doing it!"

Cheers

Dave B said:

On diesels perhaps? Or do they put the gearbox on the other end of the engine in the UK?

All BXs I have seen in Aus have the pump on the alternator end.

GRAHAM WALLIS said:

Graham

Ah yes, sorry I forgot this is the position of the pump on the diesel:blackeye:
Its driven off the gearbox end of the cam. I forgot the positioning of the pump on the petrol ones. :doh:

Ignore me and I'll go away :crazy: