BX coolant loss

John,

If this stuff only crystalises upon contact with air, is there any reason that it should, apart from after a coolant change and flushing? :confused: :confused:

From what I've heard overseas, the answer is no. It has to be remembered that these days a lot of components involved in these systems are either plastics or other synthetics so this stuff is dissolved within the system just as a lubricant/sealant and the major component is soluble oil that has been used in cars systems for donkeys years.
Nobody was more sceptical than I was, but I have yet to hear of anyone over there who has used it long term having anything but praise for it, so I had to admit that on the evidence available I had to accept it as gospel.
Even if just one person had said it was a problem, I possibly would have accepted it, but the only ones with reservations were the ones who hadn't used it, so what does that tell you?

Alan S

Alan S said:
John,

If this stuff only crystalises upon contact with air, is there any reason that it should, apart from after a coolant change and flushing? :confused: :confused:

From what I've heard overseas, the answer is no. It has to be remembered that these days a lot of components involved in these systems are either plastics or other synthetics so this stuff is dissolved within the system just as a lubricant/sealant and the major component is soluble oil that has been used in cars systems for donkeys years.
Nobody was more sceptical than I was, but I have yet to hear of anyone over there who has used it long term having anything but praise for it, so I had to admit that on the evidence available I had to accept it as gospel.
Even if just one person had said it was a problem, I possibly would have accepted it, but the only ones with reservations were the ones who hadn't used it, so what does that tell you?

Alan S

Hi Alan,

I agree with that all. Interesting isn't it? How do you reckon you'd decide when to add a new dose, or would you just do it when changing coolant at the usual interval?

cheers

JohnW

I found after doing a coolant change that I experienced a slight leak on the fitting above the pump on the BX and began to get a tell tale smell of coolant inside the car on the Xantia, so I did both.
Chris didn't have much choice (refer above pic at FCD at UQ) :eek: and he also had fresh coolant. I could imagine the potential for problems if old, contaminated or dirty coolant was in the system and then these types of things were just simply added.
The old story of following instructions to lessen any potential risks. :wink2:

Alan S :2cents:

Well, I've just added about 100ml of coolant this weekend, so I'll add some Bars Leaks this following weekend and see what happens. Sure beats my #2 job on the list (after the steering rack boots) of removing the heater matrix. Although I was sort of looking forward to it, as I love dispelling 'big job' myths and intended to take photos...

Cheers

Stuey

JohnW said:
Hi Alan,

I agree with that all. Interesting isn't it? How do you reckon you'd decide when to add a new dose, or would you just do it when changing coolant at the usual interval?

cheers

JohnW

RTFM :D

The bottle says every 6 months so probably not a bad idea to drain refill and add bi annually anyway, I mean at 10bux a bottle :crazy: :2cents:

PS still no coolant loss all OK