BX auto update.

Alan S

1000+ Posts
Have had the dreaded BX TZi auto from the Gold Coast here for the past few days, the one that triggered all the Dex3/Dex2 debate a while back.
Since I last worked on it, the speedo shows an extra 8000+ klms, so I dumped the ATF again; black as silt.
Refilled using D2 and ran enough to warm it up and work it around and drained it again; darkish red, so things are on the improve.
Took it for a run this arvo and discover the changes are definitely much crisper and clean; no jumps and jolts and no more trying to decide which gear it should be in. Performance seems to have improved marginally possibly due to a few factors; checking and adjusting the kickdown to specs, adjusting the throttle cable and the loss of this dragging feeling between gear changes due to the dumping of the wrong ATF and replacement with the specified stuff.
My guess is that possibly this car may need about 3 more changes before we've eventually got rid of the problems associated with the Dex3 pollutants.
For the record, I've also set in train enquiries regarding the specified fluid for some Xantia and Pug boxes and it seems there may be a chance of getting the right stuff at the right price once the specs are confirmed. Problem we're having here is that it is an Esso spec product and they no longer exist, however, I do know of a company who has just ordered 2000 litres of an ATF which is a TransmaxZ variant and it is suspected this just may be either the specified fluid or the base for it; I'll post once it's confirmed beyond doubt.

Alan S:cheers:

I've been perusing the many posts about BX ATF since getting my car back from FC. The gear changes are not as smooth as before and I have to accelerate to 70 and back off a bit before it shifts into top. While coasting down it drops a gear at about 40, can't say I noticed this previously.

I've done about 1500 km since the change, the fluid is still red. I find it hard to believe FC would have put DIII in it when specifically asked for DII.

The gear changes aren't really-really bad, just not as good as before and the 70 kmh trick is a bit annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Trevor

Does sound very D3 to me; this car I spoke of is now changing so smoothly, passengers I've taken on test drives cannot distinguish between gear changes and air con compressor cutting in.
The biggest problem seems to be that regardless of the proof we have continually found, there are still some oil company and service people who will still insist that D3 is the up-graded version of D2 and perhaps FC are are being advised by them.

Some service centres only carry DIII.... whenever I book any of mine in for a lube change I supply my own... that way I know what goes in and I'm not paying their mark up.

Any reaosnable service shop should have no problem with this

:cheers:

This subject just won't go away.
Got the estate auto registered so thought I'd give it another flush and see what comes out. Still fairly red but this car has only done about 50klms since I did the last change so that was expected but and it's a big but...........the fluid that came out had a milky look to it, so I'm wondering if this backs the story we heard about someone who used Dex3 in their hydraulics to get home noticing a seperation like oil and water due to the differing bases?
The difference once again as I've found and as many others have is that the change speeds seem to be more compatable with the car, the jumping and jolting disappears as does the hanging on. Overall, it makes them a totally different car to drive.
I may try to get a sample of this crap that came out analysed to see why it went emulsified looking.
Anyone else noticed this too?

Alan S

so how'd you go sorting the proper stuff? have you got onto it yet, and/or noticed any diffrence? i'd be intrested in regards to my 205 which can have the ocasional clunk when coming off throttle quickly

For the ZF14 transmission that is in the BX, Dex2 is the right stuff.

Some Xantia and 406 boxes require a fluid that was supplied by Esso and had a Peugeot part no. attached to it but as yet, whilst my guy thinks an order of 20,000 litres he has coming from the US is the right stuff, he won't commit himself to saying so until the formula can be confirmed. Getting the breakdown of the formula is proving a bit hard in this instance.

Hi Alan, I think you deserve the Aussie Frogs "Industrial Chemist" award for excellent research and dedication to the Aussie Frogs cause. :D
No tongue in cheek either...!!:)
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

Hi Alan,
I saw your post in the forum about Auto cogboxes. Bx1.6 Trs. 1986 D-reg( here )
When I bought mine, it had done 129,000+ miles. I couldn`t road test it, could only check that the was a nudge as each gear went in, manually. It NEVER let me down, used to shift gears a bit with a caravan hanging on the back, never overheated, but used to drink a fair bit of fuel driving around town, even after making my own choke cable conversion. I always thought that if that was how Citro auto boxes run at that mileage, then they were great.
Regards,
Greg

Gregg,

It seems that over your way, they don't have anywhere near the problems with the autos that we do, in fact high mileages on autos seem the norm until you find one or two (as we have done) that did the 'fail between 110K & 150K klms syndrome' and upon checking discover that service records indicate they've all had the same treatment; Dex3 put in them. Apparently same happens to Beemers where they have a supposedly bad reputation for premature failure yet talking to a Euro car service manager whose business does BMWs and others with the ZF box fitted, it seems that 450< on a box serviced when it should and run on the correct ATF isn't unusual, so I'd have no fears on any ZF auto providing it was run as per ZFs recommendations. UK mechanics haven't fallen for the one size fits all, so use DEX3 syndrome and as a result where auto failures have been common out here, they're a rareity over there.