BX 16V suspension

Andreas

Fellow Frogger
I'm not to familiar with Cit's so be gentle with me
smile.gif

All pug 405's with 4x4 were fitted with the BX rear suspension but retained the original 405 front setup.
Now from memory i think the front on a BX is also hydraulic?

Now in case you're wondering where this is heading, i'm looking into converting my 405.
I have found the parts in the UK from a wrecked 405 mi16x4 but if I can get it locally from a BX it would be easier and I would also like to convert the front.
But my main concern is whether or not the front will fit and whether or not the BX fuel tank is the same as that of a 4x4 405 (different to a FWD 405).

And lastly were any of the BX's 4x4?

Andreas

Andreas,

There are two BX 4x4s. The 'normal' with a transverse engine, and the 'hot' one with a lengthened nose and a north south engine.

There are as far as I know no 4x4s of any type in Australia, but some of the former in NZ.

Paul

------------------
Paul Smith
DS23 EFI BW Auto
G Special 1220

Hi Andreas,

Pauls right BX4x4's were never sold out here. However last time my old man was in the UK one of his friends was GIVEN a BXGTI 4wd. Dad had a look at the car, perfect leather interior, unmarked exterior, and was told it's mechanicly good (my guess is it needed repiping ie: the salty road eat out the rear suspension lines).

Now you know how much BX's are worth in the UK, if you want a 'Pug' with 4x4 and front&rear hyrdaulic suspension, I'd suggest importing a BX. Changing a 'Pug' over to full hydraulic suspension woud be an enormous task (that's the understatement of the century). I'm sure the BX and 'Pug' will use the identical rear suspension, so maybe if you have a 4x4 pug it'll bolt directly in. However if you have a standard 2wd pug I think you'll have a very hard time. Nothing is impossible if you want it enough, but my guess is it'd be cheaper to import the car (and easier) in the long run.

Here's what you'll need off the top of my head. Hydraulic pump, lines, pressure regulator, height corrector, rear suspension assembly, spheres, transfer case (and gearbox output), tailshaft. The biggest problem is all this will need to be mounted on what's probably a very different structure (you can be sure the 4x4's have different mounting points all over the place).

hope I haven't put you off. It sounds like one hell of a project. Keep us posted.

seeya,
Shane L.

Andreas,

I would suggest you have a word with "Father Goose" AKA Bruce Elsegood on this one.
Bruce is a TAFE teacher in mechanics, an acknowledged expert on Cit hydraulics, a glutton for punishment on problems such as this & an all round good guy who will help out if it is humanely possible.
You can contact him at

elsegood@comcen.com.au

and either tell him that I told you to contact him or use Craig Keller's name - he'll probably murder him
eek.gif

Alan S

thanks for your help guys, you havent put me off yet
smile.gif

i know that the 405 FWD and 4x4 chassis is the same as a friend in Europe has converted the 4x4 conversion using 405 parts.
but i wanted to take it a step further and fit hydraulic suspension to the front aswell.
I can get the all of the necessary parts from a 405 in the UK but wanted to knwo if the suspension parts atleast can be found here as i dont necessarily want to convert it to 4x4.
are the 4x4 and FWD BX suspension systems the same?

Andreas