Buzzing left front door central locking actuator

Tim-HJ61

Fellow Frogger
Peugeot 207 2008.

Front left door central locking actuators buzzes loudly when locking, and generally makes me jump when it auto locks. It DOES lock and unlock correctly.

Planet doesn’t show up any fault, apart from the four T10 globes in the third brake light all blown.

I’m assuming the buzzing solenoid needs replacing and will go about sourcing a replacement. Unless someone has had this problem and found a cheaper solution.

Thanks
Tim

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Update. I sourced a replacement locking mechanism from the UK and have installed it, but now cannot open the door from the outside. The central locking appears to be working correctly, i.e. no buzzing and mechanically the door opening mechanism feels like it should. A little clunky, but it the handle is moving the same distance as the others on the car.

Does anyone know if the door locking mechanism needs to be programmed into the car?

Oddly, the replacement unit from the UK looked exactly the same and had left front door 207 marked on it, but the cable for the inside handle opener was about 200mm longer than the original. I swapped it over no problem but it's got me wondering if there is another difference that is stopping it opening.

My 205 Si door actuator buzzes, then after you turn off the ignition it keeps buzzing and the stop lights come on. When the buzzing stops the lights go out!

My 205 Si door actuator buzzes, then after you turn off the ignition it keeps buzzing and the stop lights come on. When the buzzing stops the lights go out!

Umm. Okay Graham. My locking solenoid was broken. It's been replaced. Now the door won't open from the outside. It's a 207. Any input on that?

No sorry. Sorry to interrupt your question, just thought it was worth relating. I'm just going to unplug the actuator.

Buzzing actuators seem to be common in both Peugeots & Citroens, and doesn't always seem to mean they are on the point of failure.

I know it's a nuisance to pull the new one out again, but I think you need to compare the two very closely side by side. From memory you should be able to operate the mechanical levers of the actuator by hand, so you should be able to compare the operation of the two units, and confirm that they do work the same. If so, then it's an installation/adjustment issue :).

Cheers

Alec

Tim, that buzzing seems to be an issue on most makes, and can lead to failure as mostly it will be a make and break noise between electrical connection to solenoids and that spark will eventually wreck the contacts. Seeing that the buzzing stopped when you installed the new unit, perhaps the problem now is with one of the components jamming in setup? I'd have a go at rechecking the clearances and lubrication of the working parts, to make sure the latch engages and disengages in operation. A small burr or misalignment maybe the problem.

Other members with the same vehicle may have other handy suggestions to offer.

Ken

Thanks to Ken and others.

Planet told me the data for the left front door was missing. So i did a BSI reset. Still no change.

I realised the mechanical feel of the opening was slightly different, so removed and reinstalled the unit. in doing so, i found that the cable keeper for the outer handle had lost its place with the jiggling required to put it back in and there was no eye sight line available to check - so it was all by feel. The knobbly bit of the cable was fine, just the outer sheath had come out of where it was supposed to be - rendering the cable pull ineffective.

No with that in place, the door operates as it should. Yay.

Re the solenoid itself; on other cars, my 24v Landcruiser if I recall, I have resoldered the connections with success so they can be repairable. but this Peugeot one is covered by clip on plastic and I am sure I would have damaged it more by trying to pull it apart. A replacement posted from the UK was an easy solution for me in Perth.

Again, thanks for the replies. Problem solved.

Last edited:
IMG_6378.jpg

Interestingly, after pulling apart the original door lock - there's not a solenoid in there after all. Just a geared motor. Nothing appeared broken, ie no stripped gears.