Buying a scanner

Beano

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Firstly, my apologies for posting this in a thread of its own instead of the Tool Talk thread. I don't want to interrupt stuff being talked about there, plus there may be ongoing chat about the subject I am raising.

I know nothing about OBD scanners and have never used one, but I am quite computer literate. And as I have modern cars now, one of which needs a code cleared, I want to invest in a scanner.

I want one that both reads and clears codes (I suppose they come with a chart that has common codes). Repco have one model, a Foxwell OBD2 Scan Tool and Code Reader, for $ 209.

https://www.repco.com.au/tools-equi...2-scan-tool-and-code-reader-et3010/p/A9726618

Supercheap have another which is OBD2, and normally the same price, but currently on sale for $ 145.

The blurb on it says : This scan tool is capable of displaying live vehicle and engine data for faster and easier diagnosis of intermittent issues which don't trigger error codes. Compatible with a wide range of OBD2 vehicles this scanner also allows you to read 'Check Engine' light triggers and even clear them once the problem is fixed.

So it seems that I can diagnose intermittent issues which DON'T trigger error codes, and clear only 'Check Engine' codes ? But that other error codes are not displayed ? Surely there are other types, like the Body Control Unit ?

Is there any general advice that anyone would like to offer about scanners in general ? Any input greatly appreciated.

Any reason I should stay away from Kingchrome ? Otherwise I shall buy it....

Last edited:
I won't be using this on any French vehicles.

From what I have seen, like everything you get what you pay for.

I have Renaults, so I have bought an IcarSoft programmed for Renault

Click on "ICARSOFT FOR CAR MAKE" at the top of the page for other supported manufacturers.

What ever brand you buy make sure that it will do live data, because this is just as valuable as reading and resetting codes.

Thanks Col.

The Foxwell says "Live sensor data / freeze frame data".

And the Kingchrome says "View real time live data and freeze frame data".

But somehow I feel that despite them being the same price, that the Kingchrome is somehow lesser quality simply because it is being sold and discounted by Supercheap. This is a mental bias of course.

Which makes of car do you want to scan? Some of the cheaper ones will only give access to generic engine codes and not much else. It’s better if you can scan and clear other things like air bags, abs, trans etc.

You can read and clear OBD errors with readers that cost only $50-sh. They are powered by the port (pin 15 is 12v supply) and either have their own screen or bluetooth to a phone display. Like this
Low end stuff is just read and clear. Sensor data is not usually available.

At the top end, dmccurtayne has posted the Delphi software, which requires you to get a suitable reader. PSA's Diagbox does everything too, but is a pig to put on a laptop and isn't for non-PSA cars. The copies for sale online are NOT official. Never go online with it.

In between is something like this

Which makes of car do you want to scan? Some of the cheaper ones will only give access to generic engine codes and not much else. It’s better if you can scan and clear other things like air bags, abs, trans etc.
Yes, I want to clear the other codes as well. Some piddling and cheap code reader will simply feel frustrating and a waste of money.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have moved away from PSA cars., and currently I own two of a.........common make. :cool:

Heretic! Perhaps there is something here.

I keep a rock bottom one in the car. It can read every code and reset them. That's all. Even Aldi sell them at this level.

^^ Thanks, Seasink....this one looks like a winner.

Especially at only 85 bucks. "Retrieve engine fault codes and clear engine check lights"

EDIT
: It only works with cars after 2006 and both my current ones are 2004.

There is a list of many OBD2 enabled cars in Australia at
Lots are pre-2006.

Complete VAG-COM shows up on file sharing sites sometimes.

Are you interested in using it on any VW group cars?

I have a Ancel VD700 which does both generic (non-specific of car brand) OBD II code scanning, plus special VW code scanning with some detail on what the code means. (I believe that many very cheap scanners just give you a code number and you have to look its meaning up on the internet???) It also has some special VW functions such as backing off the electronic parking brake for replacing disc pads, for example.
I find it very easy to use and it has proven very helpful with our VW and our Skoda. We were getting check engine light on the Skoda, set the Ancel scanner to VW mode, do a full scan and it gave a code number and said it was emissions purge valve fault - incorrect flow detected. A new purge valve fixed it. (BTW, as an aside... the part I bought was a genuine Bosch part from an online supplier in Australia for $38 - Skoda dealer wanted $550 for the same part, it comes as an assembly with about $5 worth of plastic hose attached, which of course justifies the extreme price difference;) but the hose was easily swapped over from the original.)

The Ancel scanner also does live data streams, useful stuff like fuel rail pressure, and lots more.
So you see a scanner can be a big help in diagnosing.
On another occasion it helped with an occasional misfire - scanner came up with "intermittent misfire on cylinder 2" which is a common fault on the 1.2 TSI VW engines - new plugs and plug leads fixes it.

Click the link below to see it on Amazon.
The link shows "server busy" to me but the link works.

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
Thanks, but I try to stay away from modern VWs.

Well... This is not for Beano, the original person asking about scanners. But I suspect someone else on this forum has seem my post above and is looking at the scanner I mentioned above.
I bought my Ancel VD700 on Amazon a couple of years ago.

Yesterday I posted a response to Beano, above, mentioning my experience of the VD700, on a couple of VW group cars. The VD700 is specifically designed for VW cars, but it also does have non-branded OBD2 functions. But if you haven't got a VW group car, you wouldn't buy it, you can get the same OBD2 functions on much cheaper scanners without the VW specifics. Including other Ancel models.

I'm posting this here because Amazon has sent me an email, as a previous purchaser of the VD700 and who left a review of it on Amazon, asking me to reply to a question left on Amazon asking if the device works on two models of Peugeot, 4007 and 5008. It is too coincidental, I reckon someone viewing here has seen my post, looked at the listing on Amazon and asked the question on Amazon.
The basic answer is - the VD700 is designed for VW group cars. If you haven't got one, then it's not the scanner for you.

I can't see any scanner by Ancel specifically for Peugeot cars, though they do have one model that claims to support French cars from 2006 to current. the AD610 plus. It's on Amazon for $210. I have no experience of it so of course I can't recommend it, just mention that it exists.

If you are happy with a generic OBD2 scanner, a much cheaper Ancel will do it - the AD410 is on Amazon for only $50.
In preparing this response, I have also found one scanner that does claim to be specifically for Peugeot group cars - here is a link below:

I have NOT used one of these so again I am NOT recommending it, just pointing out that such a device is available.

Well... This is not for Beano, the original person asking about scanners. But I suspect someone else on this forum has seem my post above and is looking at the scanner I mentioned above.
I bought my Ancel VD700 on Amazon a couple of years ago.

Yesterday I posted a response to Beano, above, mentioning my experience of the VD700, on a couple of VW group cars. The VD700 is specifically designed for VW cars, but it also does have non-branded OBD2 functions. But if you haven't got a VW group car, you wouldn't buy it, you can get the same OBD2 functions on much cheaper scanners without the VW specifics. Including other Ancel models.

I'm posting this here because Amazon has sent me an email, as a previous purchaser of the VD700 and who left a review of it on Amazon, asking me to reply to a question left on Amazon asking if the device works on two models of Peugeot, 4007 and 5008. It is too coincidental, I reckon someone viewing here has seen my post, looked at the listing on Amazon and asked the question on Amazon.
The basic answer is - the VD700 is designed for VW group cars. If you haven't got one, then it's not the scanner for you.

I can't see any scanner by Ancel specifically for Peugeot cars, though they do have one model that claims to support French cars from 2006 to current. the AD610 plus. It's on Amazon for $210. I have no experience of it so of course I can't recommend it, just mention that it exists.

If you are happy with a generic OBD2 scanner, a much cheaper Ancel will do it - the AD410 is on Amazon for only $50.
In preparing this response, I have also found one scanner that does claim to be specifically for Peugeot group cars - here is a link below:

I have NOT used one of these so again I am NOT recommending it, just pointing out that such a device is available.

I have an Icarsoft I907 which is for Renault & Dacia, which is the entry level one, seems to work fine so the Peugeot & Citroen version should be OK for everyday use.

I have a Bosch OBD 2220 which I got on ebay (as far as I remember) for around $75 - don't have any Frenchies young enough to need scanners but this one works (reads & erases if needed) on the Honda and on the Mahindra Ute. Interestingly it also reads (at least the basic) codes on the Smart Car despite the info that you need the dedicated 'MBstar' software to do anything with this model.