Build Dates

REN TIN TIN

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know if there is a database or records that we, the hoipoli, can access, either electronically or by mail, to find build dates for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:Sn>Renaults</st1:Sn>.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I want to put my R12 on concessional plates and I believe it's a 1974 (or earlier) build but it doesn't have the original compliance plate so I can't be sure. I thought the model year was supposed to be stamped on the bottom of the lozenge plate but mine just has '00' in the position. The model year isn’t on the oval plate either.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I could leave it on full rego for another couple of years to make sure it passes the 30 year minimum age but I'm too stingy to pay out hundreds of dollars extra for rego that I don't really need.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Ren<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> :cheers: </o:p>

I would imagine it could be obtained through Renault France, or perhaps you could call Renault Australia in Dandenong. I know that there was a 17G which also did not have a compliance plate fitted (missing from a previous accident) and the then Renault distributors, Volvo, were able to confirm that the car was part of an official AUS spec shipment, otherwise the rego authorities were going to request an engineers report for registration.

With club rego though, here it is the club registrar that confirms the age of the vehicle, either by the registration documentation or by the registrar officially dating the vehicle. This places a lot of responsibility on the club to make sure the dating is correct otherwise the rego authority could prosecute.

However, here is a rule of thumb to determine in the vehicle is AUS built pre-1975.
All R1170's were built pre January 1975
All R1177's with an oval plate between 87xxx (July 1974 intro) and 140xxx (1/75).
All R1330's were built pre 1975.
All R1337's were built 1/75 onwards, possibly some early versions 10-12/74.

Note that the above oval plate number ranges only apply to AUS built 12's, anything with a stencilled paint code (French production) or from Africa both with no compliance plate, would have a different build date.

The date stamp on the diamond/oval plate was only for certain markets, like the front and rear axle weight spaces also on the diamond plate.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon, I'll give Renault Australia a try. Don't know how much luck I'll have getting information on a 30 year old car. Hopefully, they didn't throw out too much when Renault Australia pull out of the Australian market in the 90's.

The more I look at it, the more convinced I am the this is a 73/74 model.
  • 5 fuse wiring harness.
  • original motor was 1250cc (type 842 I think) now replaced with a 1.4
  • holes drilled in the bumper bar for driving lights (may not have been done by factory)
  • originally had 'sports' exhaust when I got it. the exhaust pipe would have been replaced a number of times over the years but the replacements are usually copies of what's there.
  • separate vertical reversing lights.
  • static seat belts
  • handbrake on floor
  • originally had VDO instrument cluster
I guess I'll have to convince the RCCQ though.

Ren
:cheers: