British GP ***Spoilers***

mistareno

Hope you guys and gals are waiting up for this one tonight as it is often a great race with a fair bit of overtaking...

Alonso is on Pole after squeezing out Kimi (who despite qualifying P2 will start 10 places further back due to an Engine change...)

Fisi will start on the third row but he stuffed up his lap in Sector 3 :disappr: . Infact if you combined his pit out lap Sector 3 time with the rest of his Qualifying Lap then he probably would've been 3rd :rolleyes: ...

Anyway should be a good race with Raikonnen trying to thread his way through traffic and McLarens having great pace all weekend.

I'm also looking forward to this race. It's one of my favourite tracks. The Maggots & Becketts complex is amazing to watch - and Bridge corner. Simply amazing.

Looks like it could be a good run from the Renaults and the Mclarens. Williams, however, seem to be deeply mired in the poo with their aero & engines at the moment.

Quite a race. The start and Alonso's exit from the first pit stop were absolute nailbiters! Props to JPM for bringing it home in the end, and it was great to see Fisi drive so well also.

Sergetov said:
Quite a race. The start and Alonso's exit from the first pit stop were absolute nailbiters! Props to JPM for bringing it home in the end, and it was great to see Fisi drive so well also.

Yeah, it was a pity that he stalled it at the last stop. He would've had an easy 3rd place...

I reckon that if Alonso had cleared Trulli quicker and utilized those laps he might have been able to leap frog JPM, but it was good to see him get his first win on the board for 05...

Hopefully JPM can take a few more points from his team mate and make for a 3 way battle for the Championship...with Alonso winning of course :D :D :D

Slow Trulli costed Alonso's win. But the quilty one's were track marshalls who didn't show blue flags to almost anyone. Maybe because Silverstone is such a new track and marshalls are unexperienced for F1 racing :)

Flavio Briatore said it costed 3 seconds :cry:

Another mercedes engine failure, another pitstop stalling for Fisico and another 2 championship points extension for Alonso.

8 to go. Go Alonso go!

Pate said:
Another mercedes engine failure, another pitstop stalling for Fisico and another 2 championship points extension for Alonso.

Don't forget "another race with Trulli holding people up."

someone should petition Trulli to qualify for the rest of the races with no more than 5 laps of fuel!

seriously - he would always get pole, which would be good for him and Toyota, and he would then penalise the whole field for 5 laps (get some good sponsor TV time) and then get the hell out of the way so they rest of them can get on with it!!

you know it makes sense.

Was it Trulli who was holding up Kimi and Schuey at the start of the race? I would'nt be so sure that Alonso would have leap frogged JPM if Trulli had let him through earlier. As it was, Alsonso was'nt even close, but who knows I guess.

Yes it was Trulli who held up Kimi and Schumi for the first 20 laps... and held up schumi for the first 20 in france, and the list goes on ... so much so that the commentators have coined the term 'the trulli effect' !!

it wouldn't have been certain for Alonso to be infront of JPM, but it he was definitely held up for a long time...

perhaps if renault had of paid attention to the monitors and pitted him a lap earlier at the first stop to avoid the slow cars that montoya avoided he could have short fuelled the middle stint and come to the lead there. However it would have seemed a valid strategy to wait then get some extra fuel for a longer middle stint and have a later and short final stop - but they either couldn't anticipate the traffic or guessed badly (I think for the last two races there has been a reasonable amount of good luck in the winning strategy - granted you have to make your 'champions' luck, but still looks dang flukey to me)

unfortunately, race strategy still seems to be a bit of a weakness for the renault team :(

Trulli slow or the rules?

I was thinking when listening to the commentators rabbiting on about Trulli holding up the pack, what the heck is going on here?
They said Trulli was 2 secs per lap slower than JPM & Alonso, so why weren't the others climbing all over Trulli or just flashing past him if he was that much slower? They were following at least 10 carlengths behind each other, no-one was making any attempt to pass.
At the same time, the commentators were carrying on about the new aerodynamics making it impossible to get too close to the car in front as the turbulence was causing lack of front end grip to the following car, and they actually said that the effect could be felt up to 100 meters behind the car in front.
Now, if the 2005 aero rules mean that you can't get within 50 meters of the car in front, what do you do - wait for the next pitstop?
How can there be a decent car race if they cant get close to the car in front? And this is exactly whats happening, they are just following each other waiting for a mistake or a pitstop for a chance to pass.
Doesn't this mean that the rules are preventing them from racing each other?
Seems that way to me.
Cheers.

Fordman said:
I was thinking when listening to the commentators rabbiting on about Trulli holding up the pack, what the heck is going on here?
They said Trulli was 2 secs per lap slower than JPM & Alonso, so why weren't the others climbing all over Trulli or just flashing past him if he was that much slower? They were following at least 10 carlengths behind each other, no-one was making any attempt to pass.
At the same time, the commentators were carrying on about the new aerodynamics making it impossible to get too close to the car in front as the turbulence was causing lack of front end grip to the following car, and they actually said that the effect could be felt up to 100 meters behind the car in front.
Now, if the 2005 aero rules mean that you can't get within 50 meters of the car in front, what do you do - wait for the next pitstop?
How can there be a decent car race if they cant get close to the car in front? And this is exactly whats happening, they are just following each other waiting for a mistake or a pitstop for a chance to pass.
Doesn't this mean that the rules are preventing them from racing each other?
Seems that way to me.
Cheers.
Yes, they can't get close enough, yes they can only really pass when a mistake is made. Some track more so than others, Silverstone needs plenty of mechanical and aero, lots of small straights with complex turns, its a great track , but too old in design for modern F1's... that's opinion based BTW.
But its not the aero changes that did this, its the lack of mechanical grip. The tyres now have to last the whole race AND qualifing. So the compounds aren't as sticky to make way for longevity, compared to the 04 tyres. The 05 tyres arn't that much worse, but it was difficult to pass in 04 on mechanical grip now its just that much harder, as the drivers can't afford to be thrasing their tyres, as they don't get a new set every pit stop... some like the new rules, it cought out bridgestone and they are playing catch up.

As for the race, i personally think JPM outdrove Alonso. Spesh early on, as JPM's car was all over the shop, very slidy and would often go fro over to under through the turns. This was clearly evident from the incar fottage of alonso as he chased him. So for JPM to keep ahead he did very well,...
I'm stepping out on a limb, but i trully do think the F1 car of this year is the RENAULT, and that's not to say the Mc's are bad, but the whole of the year the REN's have been strong,... my 2c anyway. (& i'm not even a ligie.... oops sorry, i mean renault fan). - Chris

I think Silverstone is a great track that is suited well to modern F1 cars. The race a few years ago when Rubens won sticks out as one of the best of the past decade.

I think its just the current combination of regulations mean that this year, it offered very boring racing.

Personally I think McLaren is the class of the field in terms of raw pace. But these days, you need reliability as well, which is where the Renault has excelled.

I think it's time to ban driver like Trulli :joker: When was the last time we've seen a race where he had genuine pace in the race after qualifying up the front. The very least he could do is do a "webber" and slowly move backward :D thus not blocking the progress of the faster ones.

As for these F1 car getting close... we only have to look at kimi trying to get past michael during the early part of the race when they when both stuck behind Trulli. The last race I can remember where they (F1 cars) raced nose to nose was the one where michael was chasing Alonso for the last ten laps in Imola???