Brake balance left + right. Not French related.

lowpugV2

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I have an odd one. Not on my pug, but on the family barge Audi A4 wagon. About 3,000 Kay's ago I had new brakes done all around, discs and pads.

The car feels fine, no pulling left or right but visual inspection shows the left rear is creating a normal amount of brake dust and the discs grooves (there when new) have worn smooth. The right side however, it's basically clean and the grooves in the new disc are still visible.

What could be going on? A caliper not functioning? Brakes need rebleeding? Seems odd to me.

The only possible thing is they have mixed up pad types left and right... I had some new low dust ceramic pads installed and they do produce less dust than normal. The fronts are staying much cleaner, longer.

Perhaps traction control; it can lead to weird brake wear.. E.g. it might ride the left rear if it thinks you're understeering in a left turn.

Have fun,

Rob.

Jack it up and apply brake, see if you can turn wheels around
May reveal a bigger problem
New looking disc may not even be braking

interesting comment about traction control ,i recently was a passenger in friends Pagero ,entering the road from his driveway requires a lot of right hand lock ,and as its a bruisy road often acceleration to get out ,my friend said he has to be carful, as if he gives it too much throttle ,the abs goes into limp mode as it detects different speeds on left and right wheels ,and it just wont go !

Good ideas. Will do the easy ones first. I did check temps of the rear wheels after a drive and both sides felt equally hot.