Bloody Renault electrics.....

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well, I FINALLY figured out the problem with the 4 sp auto R21. As mentioned here before, it had a charming little habit of slamming into third gear from top at speed when a high power consuming thing like an electric window was used. Very annoying.
Finally bought myself a multimeter and went hunting for dodgy connections. Turns out that by the time I got to the trans computer fuse, I had lost a volt. There are about half a dozen connections, including the ignition switch which lost half a volt, between it and the battery.
I started the engine, loaded the system up with lights and demister, and hit a window switch and the voltage at the trans computer fuse dropped from 13 to 10 volts.
This is enough to shut down the computer, putting it into limp mode (3rd gear).
All the connections appeared OK, and I didnt feel like buying a new ignition switch, so I simply installed a relay to supply power directly off the main power junction to the trans fuse. It now drops half a volt when all is loaded up which is enough to keep the computer thinking.
I get the impression that if the quality of connecters ect was better, this problem would never have surfaced. Also, the main power feeds etc come in from the left side of the car, hence in right hand drive there is another meter or so of cable to lose power in.

so haakon what are you going to do and how do you think you can fix this?

I reckon he should simply install a relay to supply power directly off the main power junction to the trans fuse. What do you reckon?

Stuey

I agree. Solved my reverse light gremlin I could not trace. Had another connector from a spares car, (car wrecking due to burned loom, re 'Bloody Renault electrics') cut the wires and crimp/solder connectors to a fuse, via a relay... powered by a direct feed to the battery. I have found with most of the renaults I have owned, 1965-1984 they have developed 'gremlins' mainly down to corroded or poor connectors.