Bloody mayonaise!!

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

just went out to change the oil in the BX, Ang was leaving for work in 40 minutes, enough time thinks me! Piece of cake, takes about 5minutes to drop all the oil out (bloody wind blew it all over the place)... Whipped the oil filler out $(*#$#()#(#&@!)& B#@$&(#&@)!*#)@( (#&$(@#&$, well I'll leave the language heard from our place to you imagination. Bloody water and mayonaise shit everywhere. NO time to pull all the hoses off and clean/blow them out. Just scraped the worst of the gunk out and it took me 20MINUTES just to get the bloody new oil in.

I wasn't to impressed. I know this is a common problem, but hey I'm not in the ice cold UK, and the car isn't used for short trips, usualy does about 1000km a week. It still got loaded up with this shit though!!

Oh well, until the worst part of next winter I guess all will be OK again.

seeya,
Shane L.

Not totally familiar with BX's (except to want one), but on that mileage a week (which would evaporate any condensation), are you sure it's not coolant getting in to the oil?

Stuey (Grim Reaper)

Shane,

I've got it with mine but then it has been a bit cold here this year & lately mine has been a bit prone to short trips also. I sometimes wonder if all that wire filter medium that is stuck everywhere can tend to restrict the evaporation of the condensation once it starts to clog up with all that carbon & old oil film??
Mine never did it last year & it was a Sydney car & there was no signs of it until this year. I also changed from semi to fully synth oil to see what difference that made.
I removed the neck of the filler & washed it out in petrol & blew it through as well as cleaned as many pipes as I could easily reach.
I totally removed the breather/filler system on the old Trs to fully clean it out, & went over 40,000 klms on that with no more signs of it so it may be a clue.

Alan S

Hi Stuey,

no, if's never used a drip of water. Unfortunatly this is a common problem, that I've heard has been carried onto the Berlingo's?? I would have pulled all those hoses off and cleaned them out, but didn't have the time. I really need a bigger shed to work in rather than trying to do these things in the drive. I only have a single car garage, and it's filled with an old ID that's in bits...

seeya,
Shane L.

seems strange if you're not doing any short trips.
i've had it happen once in the mi16, apparently it's pretty common to remove the wire gauze in the UK.

btw, are the bx oil pipes as weird as the mi16 ones...as in all over the place???

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

yep, there all over the bloody place. Infact it's leaked tiny amounts of oil all ever since I fixed the starter in it last year, so I'm guessing I split one of the mongrel hoses in the system somewhere.

The car will have to come off the road shortly for much needed work (at least for a day anyway). I'll check/fix all these hoses, install a new engine mount, and fix the collapsed bush in the power steering ram. I'm waiting on just the bush, then I'll do it all at once. Say Dave, haven't heard anything about it yet??

seeya,
Shane L.