Blocked Greasing Points

geodon

Fellow Frogger
I have blocked greasing points for the outer swivel link pins on XJ6 rear hubs. I'm using a McNaught air operated grease gun. The housing is alloy. Heating with an oxy acetylene torch did not work.

I have seen inputs on YouTube for a device that screws into the grease nipple hole which has a reservoir of thin oil. It is then smitten mightily with a hammer to force the oil thru.

Comments?

I haven't seen those hammer things work. In days of yore I used to remove the nipple and clean out both the nipple and housing with flexible wire. It solidifies. There's still a box of new nipples lost somewhere around here for that reason.

I'm a Macnaught nut and have a pretty good collection of their greasing and oil pumping equipment.

The highest pressure Macnaught grease gun is the straight piped, two-handed levergun. When I encounter a blocked nipple I first try a levergun. If that doesn't work I use the tool you described. Macnaught's version (GFU, grease fitting unblocker) has a grease nipple fitting. If that doesn't work, I unscrew the nipple and poke around with a piece of wire to break up the hardened grease and remove as much of it as possible. A strand of wire brush bristle held in a pair of pliers or vice grip works well. If none of that works and nore does heat, dismantling might be the last resort.

Roger

I agree on the grease gun. I have one of those and sheer muscle often clears the nipple. If the solid is inside the fitting, I think you'll go for the wire..

Depending on application - it is worth looking beyond the grease fitting.... to where to grease enters the pert to be lubed e.g. for bush movement etc. blocking delivery hole.

Depending on application - it is worth looking beyond the grease fitting.... to where to grease enters the pert to be lubed e.g. for bush movement etc. blocking delivery hole.
Hmmmmmm! Thank you. I hadn't thought of this.

This is what I fear may have happened.

The housing is alloy. The link pin will not be twisting in alloy- there HAS to be a bush.

If the link bush is an interference press fit in the housing (which is highly likely) and it has a hole that lines up with the grease nipple hole to get lubrication, then over the years & with poor maintenance, the bush may have pivoted enough such that the holes are no longer matched up meaning I'm pumping grease against a solid metal wall.

I'll shoot a query to the Jaguar cognoscenti to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the replies.

Used to happen often with king pin bushes & spring shackle bushes when regular greasing was in vogue.

What is grease, please explain, as some would say :)

A thick lubricant, made from a soap emulsified with oil. Lithium stearates are commonly used, which have a high melting point.

Hmmmmmm! Thank you. I hadn't thought of this.
This is what I fear may have happened.
The housing is alloy. The link pin will not be twisting in alloy- there HAS to be a bush.
If the link bush is an interference press fit in the housing (which is highly likely) and it has a hole that lines up with the grease nipple hole to get lubrication, then over the years & with poor maintenance, the bush may have pivoted enough such that the holes are no longer matched up meaning I'm pumping grease against a solid metal wall.
I'll shoot a query to the Jaguar cognoscenti to see if it's possible.
Thanks for the replies.
Hmm my biases here :rolleyes: On a Jag any stupid problem may be found, including poor quality parts and poor assembly, or even no hole drilled ?? IMHO
Jaahn
PS I do agree the quality hand guns with a lever do generate the most pressure. The auto types are limited pressure. I threw away my grease guns some years ago, had not used them for quite a while.