Best Renault F1 driver?

renaulturbo

Tadpole
In all of Renault's glorious years of success on the track, who do people beleive to be 'the' Number One driver in a hypothetical Regie dream team? The choice ofcourse is restricted to the drivers who have at one time or another had a steering wheel adorned with a diamond between their hands...

My pick for number one has to be the greatest of the great: Ayrton Senna, who won his first race in the gorgeous John Player Special Lotus Renault turbo. He drove with a Renault engine behind his back in 85,86 and 94. His death in 94 resulted in Senna never winning the title with a Renault engine cry

As the number 2 driver Renault wouldnt have it any other way: he's gotta be Francais!

Out of Jabouille, Arnoux and Prost i would probably have picked Prost if it wasnt for his inability to function as No.2 to Senna :D and i would have loved to pick Gilles Villeneuve but ofcourse, sadly he was never able to drive for the Regie and wasnt French (he was French-Canadian).

So i'd have to go with Jabouille, who was with Renault from the begining and is Renault through and through.

So, any other racing fans here?

i had a vivid dream last week that Alonso was standing on the podium having won a GP. I thought is was the canadian GP .... obviously it was not the case.

hopefully it was a "sign" of things to come.

That is so weird. A few weeks ago I actually dreamt that Alonso had one an F1 GP. I think it is going to happen soon. very soon

Luke

I first started watching Formula One with my old man back in the early 1980's and loved the Renault turbo's, but I was too young to remember much in detail about the drivers of the time.

However, I'm pretty happy with the current lineup, on one condition: Trulli's luck improves. Alonso is showing all the signs that he'll be as good as any of the former greats, but I just wish that Trulli's slick qualifying laps could be translated into consistently slick race performances. Hockenheim was a courageous effort by Trulli, given that he had a severe fever and his last stint was way too long for the soft Michelin compound chosen by the team. Alonso impressed me on his debut for Renault in Melbourne this year: I loved his fiesty all-over-the-gearbox style as he carved his way up through the mid field, overtaking the BAR's, Toyotas and Sauba's, and looking like a seasoned champ in the process. Amazing driving style and confidence for someone so young, and rarely makes a mistake.

renault_ whip dance renault_