Best drive in Victoria?

dubara

Fellow Frogger
I have got to inform all of you about a an underated and exhilerating drive in Victoria. Take the Mount Baw Baw turn off from the Princes Highway and test your skills or stupidity on 40km of tight undulating tarmac leading through some fantastic scenery. Watch out for the logging trucks and 1984 VK Commodores holding you up. Has anyone else driven this road or can anyone come forth with other great drives around Melbourne?

I've been on that one, but this one is better :)

We have some fantastic roads through the Yarra Ranges. Reefton Spur is my favourite, between Cambarville and Warburton, wonderful twisting road that is often bereft of traffic. Some nice views in part.

A good easy drive is just go to Marysville via the Black Spur, stop at Marysville for morning tea, drive on through Cambarville through to Warburton, maybe head up Mt Donna Buang for some run, stop in Warbuton for lunch and head back to Melbourne. This would only take a few hours to do and you'd go home with a big smile on your face.

Justin - I'd have to agree there, the Yarra ranges region is definitely one of the best I've driven in Vic. The unfortunate fact, which tends to aggravate me, is how bloody long it takes to get everywhere. Its the best part of an hour of terribly boring driving just to get around.

Back here in Tassie, I have the wonderful 25 minute traffic free drive to arrive at the Sideling (infamous targa stage), duck down to Scottsdale, and back, and do it all in 2 hours or so. With a fantastic picnic spot (the lookout) in the middle. Can't wait to get the 205 and take it down there!

Nick

I thought the best drive in Victoria was the one out of Melbourne...seriously, the runs up and down Mt. Buffalo and also Falls Creek are a lot of fun at the right time (certainly not winter - then they're just plain scary!)

another yarra ranges drive...

There is three really nice drives that I can think to get to Marysville from Melbourne. Obviously the Black Spur, but that is too easily slowed up and busy. The leg from Reefton to Marysville, which i think is mentioned previously, though it takes ages. And there is one i stumbled across between Marysville and Warbuton but forgot exactly where it is. Nice, quite and smooth surface last I was there, but forgot how to get there or which road it was. I know after turning off the Marrondah (?) Hwy to get to Marysville from Melbourne it is on the right. Anybody know it? I think it leads to one of the lesser snow mountains. Anyway, any way you take, you cant go wrong in that area.

My work takes me over a lot of the backroads Victoria, unfortunately though I'm in a truck! But there are some terrific roads out there where you wouldn't expect them. My brother and I went for a cruise recently, it was terrific fun. When I have some more time I'll put up some details of some good roads.

John

The road from Mt. Beauty to Falls Creek is sensational, as is the road to Mt. Baw Baw, although having a car with a CB in-front is essential for the latter.

I do not like the Black Spur much. Because not only is it busy, but the road quality is inconsistant (like its mini-climate) and the fact that I shunted a friends car on it :)

The Reefton Spur that Justin talks about is great also. Has a bit of everything (well, everything except straights...)

Road from Colac to Apollo Bay is quite nice, and will be MUCH better once its resurfacing is completed.

Oh yeah... boodek is right again... the drive out of Melbourne... one of the best things about it is it happens fairly quickly.

With the exception of that junction where the freeway crosses the Hume, of course. But once you clear that, it's a great run.

Ray Bell said:
Oh yeah... boodek is right again... the drive out of Melbourne... one of the best things about it is it happens fairly quickly.

With the exception of that junction where the freeway crosses the Hume, of course. But once you clear that, it's a great run.

What about COPS, they tend to hang out around there, two mates and I were chased for ten ks along the hume a few years back.. Ferrari Dino, Daytona and a 365 GT 2+2, the man in blue must have had a HARD-ON chasing us, but he turned out to be a petrol head and we got off with a fine for "no seat belts" Its SO different today.. :deal: josephk

I agree the Reefton Spur is an awesome piece of road. My only concern with it is that it is impossible to see on-coming traffic. As Justin said, it is rarely used by the general public but I remember one night roaring up there and got the shock of my life seeing a Landcruiser barreling down at me (I was driving in the middle of the road, as you do...)

I think the Black Spur is highly over rated. Maybe it is a bit of a legend passed on from those a generation or so older than me, as now the surface is terrible and there is always traffic on it, no matter what time of day/night.

nJm said:
I think the Black Spur is highly over rated. Maybe it is a bit of a legend passed on from those a generation or so older than me, as now the surface is terrible and there is always traffic on it, no matter what time of day/night.
They've even had traffic lights on it, turning it into a one lane road!!!

Ordinary surface, quite narrow in sections, potentially oily - definately better roads around, just without the same 'recognition' factor.

Another great drive is through the King valley from Mansfield to Beechworth. It's a great drive with a combination of twisty black-stuff and some long straights to stretch your legs on.

Dave