Best C4 Review so far!

Uga Boga

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Citroen C4
The Age
Monday May 23 2005

Citroen's small car is a charmer but is that really enough, asks TOBY HAGON.

For: Spacious interior, decent equipment list, good on-road manners, spritely engine, solid safety credentials.

Against: Uncoordinated auto transmission, noisy, expensive, steering kickback, unflattering suspension noises, so-so ergonomics.

Stars: 3 (out of 5).

Finding something with a whiff of flair in the small-car market has taken a bit of detective work in recent years - many marques just want to tread a safe and steady path.

advertisement

advertisement
Not so for Citroen, the quirky French maker that has veered hard-left with its spunky little C4, a small car with plenty in the way of Gallic charm. As well as the thoroughly distinctive exterior - which boasts a sleek nose and attractively humpy shape - there's also a decent array of choices within the C4 line-up, which encompasses 1.6 (diesel and petrol) and 2.0-litre four-cylinder engines, various equipment levels and the choice of a stumpy-tailed coupe.

Clearly the C4 mounts a convincing case for those who bother to poke their head into a Citroen showroom.

But styling is by no means the sole sales driver for the multitude of small-car buyers who are swarming to what is now the largest segment in the Australian market.

And that's where Citroen thinks it has the game licked. As well as the electrics and accessories that buyers of premium small cars have come to expect, there's some unique touches to the Citroen, such as a steering-wheel hub that stays fixed while the wheel twirls around it. It may sound gimmicky but it means the steering-mounted buttons (cruise control, audio controls and so on) are always in the same spot, while Citroen claims advantages when it comes to airbag deployment, given the bag itself is asymmetrical. There's also an air-freshener built into the dash which, granted, is definitely gimmicky but will no doubt prove a showroom tempter and at least emphasise some of the thought put into the car.

Other niceties include rain-sensing wipers, mirrors that fold inwards when parked, cruise control and a speed limiter - perfect in the age of speed cameras.

There's also a decent array of safety gear, encompassing front and side-curtain airbags, as well as anti-lock brakes and an electronic stability system, the latter individually applying brakes to correct a slide.

But the fairytale story starts to unravel once you look a bit deeper, especially in the flagship 2.0-litre hatch that was our companion for the week. Leather pews and a full-length sunroof are expensive options, as is a CD stacker, which sits awkwardly in the centre console eating precious storage space. And with an asking price of $33,990 plus on-road costs, you start to expect more. Build quality, too, is not what it should be. Our car had an annoying rattle from the hatch, while two of its door handles were sticking and making strange cracking noises when forced. But the materials used inside - a soft, textured dash and well-placed chrome highlights - create an upmarket feel that's well in tune with the C4's aspirations. It's also a spacious interior by small-car standards.

On the road, the C4 is a perky performer, its 103kW 2.0-litre four-cylinder ensuring it accelerates smartly; 10.1 seconds is the claim to the milestone 100kmh. But it's a noisy, boomy engine in the upper end of its rev range. The C4 is also hampered by its standard (on the 2.0) four-speed automatic, though, which makes downchanges a more dramatic event than they need be and can be caught out when driven enthusiastically. Thankfully, there's a sequential shift gate to allow the driver more control. It is agile enough but let down by stiff springs, which means it tends to crash into potholes. Ours also had a strange drumming noise at low speed and a disconcerting clunk over sharp driveways or speed humps.

A shame, because a bit more work and attention to detail and the C4 has the potential to be a serious winner.

NUTS 'N' BOLTS - Citroen C4 Hatch 2.0

How much? $33,990 (auto) plus on-road costs.

Insurance: Premium $633, $450 excess (RACV, 40-year-old rating one male driver, medium-risk suburb).

Warranty: 3 years/100,000km.

Engine: 2.0-litre four-cylinder, 103kW at 6000rpm, 200Nm at 4000rpm.

Transmission: Four-speed automatic, front-wheel-drive.

Steering: Rack and pinion, 2.9 turns lock to lock. Turning circle 11.5m.

Brakes: Ventilated discs front, discs rear, ABS.

Suspension: Front - Independent by MacPherson strut. Rear - Independent by torsion beam.

Wheels/tyres: Alloy 17 x 6.5-inch, 205/55, full-size spare.

How big? Length - 4260mm. Width - 1773mm. Height - 1471mm. Wheelbase - 2608mm.

How heavy? 1292kg.

How thirsty? 8.1 L/100km, premium unleaded recommended.Fuel tank 60 litres.

Equipment: Airbags - yes, six, dual front, front side and side curtains; traction/stability control - yes/yes; air-conditioning - yes, dual-zone climate control; cruise control - yes, with speed limiter; central locking - yes, remote; power mirrors/windows - yes/yes; sound system - single CD; leather seats - optional.

COMPETITORS

Peugeot 307 - 3 stars.

Renault Megane - 3 stars.

Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSi - 4 stars.

RATINGS

Dream wheels - 5 stars.

Recommended - 4 stars.

On the ball - 3 stars.

Just transport - 2 stars.

Very ordinary - 1 star.

Prices and details correct at publication date.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=9739&vf=2&bg=1&pp=3

I fully agree with this review, after having owned the C4 for 2 months so far. Good to see reviewers finally mentioning the dud of a gearbox that's included, hopefully citroen will take notice and include a new 6spd gearbox in future models.

Uga Boga said:
I fully agree with this review, after having owned the C4 for 2 months so far. Good to see reviewers finally mentioning the dud of a gearbox that's included, hopefully citroen will take notice and include a new 6spd gearbox in future models.

Looks like a great car... I have been admiring them every day I go past the Citroen dealer....

I prefer this review..

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1460564,00.html

Looks alone, yeah it's great... The rest.. (performance wise, build quality etc..) considerably poor.

Anyway, if the first service corrects the gearbox issue, i'll be the first to post here and praise the car and if the dealer can also fix some of the build issues (loose plastics etc..).

I wouldn't call that a real review, Jeremy is an idiot.

ashvsaod said:
Looks like a great car... I have been admiring them every day I go past the Citroen dealer....

I prefer this review..

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1460564,00.html

Last edited:
Uga Boga said:
Looks alone, yeah it's great... The rest.. (performance wise, build quality etc..) considerably poor.

Anyway, if the first service corrects the gearbox issue, i'll be the first to post here and praise the car and if the dealer can also fix some of the build issues (loose plastics etc..).

I wouldn't call that a real review, Jeremy is an idiot.

Someone complaining about French build quality??? :joker:

How dare you insult the mighty Jeremy! :banana:

In what ways are the performance less than what you expected?

Well.. i didn't expect the gearbox to act like a stubborn mule.

The gearbox often confuses itself, rough changes etc....

ashvsaod said:
Someone complaining about French build quality??? :joker:

How dare you insult the mighty Jeremy! :banana:

In what ways are the performance less than what you expected?