Basic question - pressure release

blomquvist

Fellow Frogger
Gentlefrogs,

Fundamental question - where do I locate the pressure release valve on the XM? (please don't smirk too much). It's been mentioned to me a couple of times, but I can't find it.

Waiting on Haynes manual to arrive from the UK, but getting impatient. My Nylander strut top replacement kit has arrived from Norway and I am planning the installation, before the strut harpoons my bonnet.

Yours in conscious incompetence,

Greg

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh SO much.

The pressure reg on your XM is straight below the dizzy. To get to the 12mm nut you need to have the front of the car on stands or ramps, undo the 4 10mm nuts holding on the small guard under/behind the lower end of the front bumper and then look up - with your mouth closd to avoid LHM drips.

It will all make more sense then.

Do a search on this forum for the procedure to fully depressurise an XM including centre spheres.

Regardless of the Nylander thing, you will still need to start sourcing new strut mounts one day - make sure that you get yours from the UK AND spec they are for your particular model, as they will be lesser internal diameter than Aus spec cars. All V6 builds (well those made for Aus anyway) had thicker struts therefore the hole in the mount is bigger.

Unless of course you want to source new mounts and struts...:eek:

UFO said:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry, didn't mean to laugh SO much.

So much for being non-smirking :wink2: (drops v. bad French accent and resumes normal voice)

Thanks Craig. (sound of coin hitting floor) Ah - so that's why ramps are so important in the process.

And yes, there's a new strut lurking somewhere in the future, but for now, $140 beats $750.

On the Xantia with the same motor as your car it's the yellow circle

frontsphereupd.jpg

on the CX it's the white painted nut:

c26.jpg

or even easier ... on the sphere tester the spanner is swinging from it:

image004.jpg

The regulator really is quite similar on all models. ONLY RELEASE IT HALF A TURN !!!!! You should hear the pressure escape :)

seeya,
Shane L.

DER! I forgot that Greg's car is one of the models that has "swingacatinhere" space - lucky mongrel.

Ignore instructions about ramps etc unless of course you are doing the front centre.

Then come back to use when you want to do rear centre :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Wow. Can't much much more explicit than that Shane. Do you want some consulting work in developing instructional materials? :wink2:

Cheers,

Greg

PS. I'll be in Ballarat for a few hours sometime in the next fortnight and would be good to see the CX GTI, but it's a work trip (despite involving motorcycles).

blomquvist said:
Wow. Can't much much more explicit than that Shane. Do you want some consulting work in developing instructional materials? :wink2:

Cheers,

Greg

PS. I'll be in Ballarat for a few hours sometime in the next fortnight and would be good to see the CX GTI, but it's a work trip (despite involving motorcycles).
Typical of CX design, you have to take the drivetrain out to release the pressure

No worries Greg,

let me know when you'll be about. If you like we can chuck the Xantia up on ramps and pull some of it's sphere's off (it's basically the same as your XM).

seeya,
Shane L.