BA10/5 gearbox oil?

Fellow Frogger
Hi

I've always used a 15W40 or similar oil in my BA10 gearbox (and other Pug manual boxes) but while talking to an experienced Pug mechanic, he suggested that I use Penrite Transaxle oil 80W85. :confused:

Anyone with ideas for me before I install the rebuilt box into my 604TD?

Thanks

Andrew

andrew
keep using 10/40 engine oil in the box please
peugeot has gone to a lot of trouble to work out what oil is good for their boxes and have designed their boxes as such and they decided that people should run 10/40 engine oil in them
this is the oil that i have run in all mine for years and have never had any trouble with them and i am not about to veer of this path
i did have one box that was getting a little tired and sticky when cold and i used to run 25% trans oil in this one and it still ran fine for a very long time after this (i actually sold the car with the box still in it and never heard anymore about it)

Hmm, I've got the same gearbox and others on this board have recommended that I put semi-synthetic oil in it next time I change the oil...
:confused:

semi synthetic is fine so long as you are running 10/40 or 15/40 grade oil in them
please don't go against what the manufacturer has stated to use in their boxes
they have spent a lot of time money and effort in working out what oil is right
if they decided that a heavier grade oil or gear oil is needed in their boxes they would have stated so
there are some very fine roller bearings in these boxes that need oil and running the oil they state allows these bearings to recieve the amount they need when they need it
i am sure peugeot could come up with more substantial reasons as to why they state that engine oil is to be used
save the gear oil for your diffs unless you have a worm drive then run vegetable based oil or you won't have a diff for long

I've had good results with 10w40 Mobil Synth S semi-synthetic oil.

I have used 80 grade gear oil in the 4 speed BA7 to slow the leaking down, without any ill effects, but in the BA10 5 speed I find that thick oil makes the shifting too stiff and probably does the synchronisers no good as a result. There's also the potential problem of the needle rollers starving of oil, which Pugrambo mentioned, which I agree with completely. This is a particular problem with the Borg Warner T-5 when people stick normal gear-oil in them.

Dave

this comes up everytime oil is mentioned
the grade of oil 10,40,80 is the viscosity of the oil
the higher the number the "thicker" it is
multi grade has additives in it to "act" like the lower number when cold and the higher number when at running temp
heat different grades of oil to running temp and see how they "run"
you will find that engine oil will always run more than 80W oil
rule of thumb time
the slower a gearbox runs the higher the grade of oil hence a pug gearbox runs 10/40 oil and a diff 80W
other manufacturers run different oils but that is what their engineeers have arrived at for their boxes
Mr peugeot has worked out over a few years now of making their boxes that the BA7 and 10 need engine oil

Engine oil and trans oil are rated differently.
A 40 engine oil is about equivalent in viscosity to an 80 trans oil, this info was gained from an Shell engineer.

Graham Wallis

how are they rated differently ?
a viscosity index is a standard oil measurement
please explain as this goes against what i have learnt in all the years i have been a fitter and machinist playing with basically nothing but gearboxes and oils all that time
the only thing i can see to bieng rated differently is that engine oil has additives to keep contaminants suspended
straight out of the bottle 80W gear oil is noticeably thicker than 10W/40W engine oil

this is an email directly from shell australia that i though i might share with you all

In an attempt to put the viscosity scales on a common benchmark the 80W
transmsision oil would be in the order of 50 -60 c.St at 40^C or approx 7.5
c.ST @ 100 ^C (ie SAE 20) conversely the 20W-40 is approx 14.4 c.St @ 100^C
. Therefore the viscosities vary by almost a factor of 2X.
Regards
Alan Dawson

i hope this clears a few things up for people

Out of the bottle (room temperature) 10-40 engine oil has a rating of 10 so it should seem thinner than 80 transmission oil if this is equivalent to 40.
We probably need a clearer explanation for someone in the industry!

Graham Wallis

mind you the information i recieved from shell was similiar to the information i recieved a while ago from Bel-Ray lubricants as well
the info above from shell basically states that 20/40 oil compared to 80W oil will run twice as far on the test table when testing viscosity
has anybody ever seen how they test this ?
let me know if not and i will explain it to you
regards
sean white

The 80w90 gear oil which I've used is noticeably thicker when poured or sucked into a large syringe, than engine oil.

I have to say, though, that when I used it in gearboxes it only made the shifting stiffer when cold. When warm it felt the same as with engine oil, so I guess that kind of makes sense if, as some have said, it's only the low temp viscosity which is supposed to be different. I'm no expert.

Dave

<small>[ 16 August 2002, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: fiveohs ]</small>

Had to clear this one up. The recognised standard for measuring viscosity of oil is SAE (Standard Automotive Engineers??). This relates to how much oil will flow through a given size orifice in a given period of time at a given pressure and temperature. May have missed a few givens but hopefully made my point. :D Some numbers that appear on lubricants that are not prefixed by SAE may relate to a different method/standard of measuring and therefore can not be directly compared. wink I have changed oil for lighter grades in the past and put in additives to compensate for the loss of load carrying properties (gives better synco action) going the other way makes no sense to me unless it is short term to slow a leak. frown

I didn't want to start something like this when I asked what I thought was a simple question :confused:

Andrew

Today I saw a container of Castrol 70/80 transmission oil which said that it was equivalent to 20/30 engine oil in viscosity.

Graham Wallis