Australian Delahaye - where is it?

Fond memories!

A dear friend who was French Consul General to Lahore Jehangir Malik had the Type 135 cabriolet[black],it belonged to his late mother,from a promonent family of La Rochelle,they had a Villa near Paris and it was stashed away from German occupation,General de Gaule used it for one of the liberation parades.
After her marriage to my friends dad she shipped it over,its now with a common family friend who has a collection of exotics.Remember seeing the documentation and shipping paperwork.

1912 Dalahaye in Wagga

June long week-end each year, Wagga hosts an excellent vintage and classic car rally (& motorcycles).
The following was taken from the local free paper The Leader. Wagga resident Arthur Garthon owns 4 cars, his 1912 Delahaye with 16 power is one of only three in existence. There are only three left in the world and the only one of its kind in Australia. "I got the 1912 Delahaye in 1955 and did it up" he said,"There are only three left in the world, one in Scotland and England".
Interestingly his other favourite vintage car is a 1918 Crossley 25/30 which he has meticulously restored.

Last edited:
It took 20 years and a lot of work to get my Delahaye sorted. I'd be reluctant to do it all again.

G-day Chris, a couple years ago at the VFCS in Nth Balwyn when I saw your car there was also a Delage I think it was, I thought that was yours aswell, do you have a photo of that one that you could share.

Delahaye in Melbourne - circa 1976

Hmm,

Stretching my memory but I recall Mr Archer drove a Delahaye from his packaging business in Melbourne to a place in the country (talking Calder Highway here). He had a son that drove a ute (Harley). Mr Archer was a gentleman and I remember him for his thoughtful conversations.

friday403

Thanks for that piece of information.
I'll try to follow up Mr Archer, you never know?
If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.
Thanks again,
Best Regards,
Chris McSteen

List of surviving delahayes

Hello,
Just a follow up.
How are you going with your stats on surviving Delahayes?
Regards,
Chris McSteen

Mr archer re lost delahaye

Just to let you know, I followed up your lead of Mr Archer. I found his son, Harley, who was able to advise that his Dad had a 4 door, black and red coloured Delahaye. He felt it was one of the later models, late 1940's - early 1950's. He wasn't sure who they sold it to or when, although he believes it was in good condition and low milage.
No photos unfortunately, and not the 2 door hardtop, Martin and King bodied car that I am looking for.
Worth chasing up though.
Thanks for the contact.
Regards,
Chris McSteen

Delahaye

Spoke to a colleague who remembers the one sold in Perth in the late '50's. I am told it later changed hands as he had seen it in a cars sales yard located in Victoria Park some years later and regretted that he didn't have the couple of thousand pounds asking price. He confirmed it was a 2dr. Coupe with the two-tone cream and brown paint work. He like myself believe it was a car imported from the middle east.

Interesting, but, where is it now?
Not the car I'm after, which was a single colour.
I am hoping to have a photo of the Melbourne Martin & King bodied Delahaye some time soon. And this may spark some interest.
Thanks again.
Regards,

Chris McSteen

Delahaye

From the whispers behind the door it's owned by the Martinovich (or similar) brothers that once had the Dizzy Lamb Wanneroo way. I believe this and other cars are now stored in the chicken sheds covered in dust.