Australian Delahaye - where is it?

chris mcsteen

Tadpole
Can anyone assist? I'm trying to contact the owner, or find the car - a 1950 Delahaye Coupe that has a Melbourne body by Martin & King. The car was sold in Sydney in the 1980's. If you can assist, know of a mechanic who may service such cars, please let me know by replying to this forum or contact me directly on 0407 581 167. Thanks for any assistance, Chris McSteen.

Is this?

hi Chris,
I took this snap at FCD Macleay park a few years ago,best bet to track owner will be Peter Kerr as seen chatting [in summer hat].
So where does your interest arise? I found a great book on Delahaye by 'Brooklands'.

Attachments

• Delahaye 2.jpg
    Delahaye 2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 904
Looking for Australian Delahaye

Thanks Salman.
Nice photo of a 1949 Delahaye convertible - my car in fact, so what a small world!
No, the car I'm after is a 2 door hard top coupe, body made in Melbourne, featured at the 1950 Melbourne motor show. And from what I've been told was sold in Sydney in the mid 1980's.
So, perhaps someone else will have a photo of a car from NSW?
Thanks again.
Regards,
Chris McSteen

Lost Australian Delahaye

Thanks for the query.
I don't have a photo at present.
All I can tell you is that it is a 2 door (hard top) coupe that featured at the Melbourne motor show in 1950. It looks a little like a French 135, however, the rear end has a bit of a 'British' look.
Apart from a 4 door sedan, all other Delahayes that I've come across in Australia have been convertibles, although coupes were common overseas.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Chris McSteen

count!

What a coincidence! Chris,Im keen to know how many surviving Delahaye are in existence in Oz.
I do have a cofession to make also but will wait for the moment.
merci

How many surviving Delahayes?

I don't know of too many. However, I have come across several over the years:
1 - Melbourne, early 1970's - a Green 2 door 135 convertible. The last I heard was that it was in Western Australia,
2 - Adelaide Hills 1970's - a Delahaye 1949 147L 4 door saloon black & a 1949 Delage 2 door convertible white owned by a lovely chap (a collector of everything ) who has since died.
3 - Wallen Victoria 2000's - a 1949 135 2 door convertible, blue.
4 - Ringwood 2010 - a 1948 2 door convertible grey in colour. Another lovely owner , Peter Baker, who had several cars. Peter unfortunately died last year. I don't know where his cars are now?
5 - Gippsland Victoria 2010 - a 1949 135 convertible, light green. I'm in contact with the owner and can supply details if necessary.

Other than that I don't know of any others.

The car that I am interested in however is different from all the above because the body was built here in Melbourne.

Regards,

Chris McSteen

About 25 years ago a dealer in Rutherglen, Gordon Macinlay had one. He may still have it or know where it is.

Might be worth a try if he's still there. If not Max Carmody Motors in Albury may know how to contact Gordon.

Taken Adelaide mid-2006. Labelled a 148L, I see...so is this one of those mentioned in your previous post, or another example of the marque to emerge?

Attachments

• SL550487.jpg
    SL550487.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 671
  • SL550486.jpg
    SL550486.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 675
  • SL550491.jpg
    SL550491.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 620
  • SL550493.jpg
    SL550493.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 670
It was up for auction at Scammell's - no idea what it went for, or to whom. Yes indeed - it was definitely somewhat tired: to collect is one thing, to care for ... quite another.

Attachments

• SL550494.jpg
    SL550494.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 558
  • SL550495.jpg
    SL550495.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 623
148 l

It took 20 years and a lot of work to get my Delahaye sorted. I'd be reluctant to do it all again.

Attachments

• 157-5724_IMG.jpg
    157-5724_IMG.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 966
Lost Martin & King Delahaye

Thanks Duane.
I've had a look through that site - what a great site! - couldn't find the martin & king car though?
Every bit of info helps.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, it's magnificent, isn't it? So much information.

My apologies - the Martin & King section is in the forum, under Australian Coachbuilders. Unfortunately, you can't see the photos unless you register - but I've been on there a few years and am yet to be spammed, so have no fear.

Cheers,
Duane

delahaye

Can remember seeing a Delahaye rwo door coupe in James Harwood's car yard in James Street Perth in the late 1950's. The last I heard was it was in a (very) private museum located somewhere in the Swan District. Apparently two brothers just collect and store unusual cars ......... no one ever gets to see them so it's anyone's guess what they have stashed away.